“Mixed bag” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Swiss International Imperial Plaza

You added Swiss International Imperial Plaza to your Saves list
Swiss International Imperial Plaza
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Abdelkrim Khattabi Avenue | Semlalia Street, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #401 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
Granby, Canada
“Mixed bag”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We spent 6 nights at the Imperial Plaza during our trip through Morocco, 4 nights before and two nights after crossing ofer the High Atlas. It has a lot going for it. There is the beautiful view of the High Atlas and the city from many rooms, the refreshing pool on the roof, the big, confortable rooms, but on the other hand it can be noisy from the street, the balkony doors need an adjustment to get them to close properly, there was no hot water for over 12 hours one day of our stay. WiFi is ok in the lobby and around the pool on the roof, but only rooms close to the elevators get it. Most staff is friendly, but the reception is not very responsive. We phoned for toilet paper in our room and had not gotten any after more than one hour when I saw the maid working in another room and simply got some rolls from her. The breakfast and dinner buffet is of variable quality and quantity.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up have good views.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

we booked our holiday on the 31st dec 2011, opted for the imperial plaza, after confirmation, I read the comments and wondered what we'd let ourselves in for! have to say the only complaint we could come up with was the short dusty walk from the hotel entrance to the main road! Our welcome was warm and friendly, room was better than many major hotel group offers on the market in this country. there was no member of staff uncourteous to us.
I was unlucky enough to have an accident that required stitches, the hotel staff whisked me to the local hospital and I was treated immediately although it was really busy! A service much better than the NHS. the hotel made numerous telephone calls for us, which we did not have to pay for! It was also during ramadan and although services are limited during this, the staff did everything they could in order for us to enjoy our stay!

Room Tip: ask for an atlas view!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Colchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Where do I start? - Hotel seemed ok to start, although we were told it was Ramadam we did not realise the full implications of this. I shared a room with my 2 daughters, and my cousin had a room by himself. Within hours our aircon had stopped working, I reported to reception and they seems uninterested with the problem then said they would send someone up to look at it, they sent up the guy that carried out cases up (as they say jack of all trades master of none) he did everything we had done and told me to give it 15mins - we decided to pop out to shop which was not open... came back and air con was still not working and went back to reception and told them it still was not working and demanded another room, which I eventually got and it was bigger. As you can imagine we were now all very hungry and was told food was being served in the roof restaurant but that was limited but filled the gap - we were told the dinner was from 8-10pm so was looking forward to that. We got ready for the great meal walked towards the large dinning room which was totally dark and then went back to reception and they instructed us to door next to dinning room very small with about 6 tables. There was another couple just about to finish their evening meal. The waiter showed us to our table then placed cutlery as we sat down then disappeared (I was eagerly waiting for a menu) he appeared 15mins later with a starter of salad eg boiled eggs/carrots/lettuce/anchovies etc which was smothered with a type of 'Daddy's sauce/balsamic vinegar. My eldest daughter (23yrs) and cousin ate but myself and my 11yr old daughter could not eat. I was totally disgusted that we had not even been given a menu - then came out the main meal, chicken (similar to chicken kebab) served with uncooked oversalted rice, we all sat there amazed at the sheer down right BAD service and food, the waiter came in and saw we had not eaten alot and asked 'what is your problem' we told him that the rice is raw and salty and they we should be told in advance what is on offer at dinner timesat and I also told him that there should not be cats walking around us whilst we eat, he 'chased the cat out, he replied he is sorry but its up to the chef and they are never informed either before dinner, he came back with dessert of melon which was refreshing and our only real food of the night. He came out and seems quite embarrassed and said had asked the chef and they would be serving 'Moroccan Tagine' the next night , I asked if they could serve chips for my daughter and he said that will be fine. The next day we visited the 'soukes' and Jardin botantical gardens which was nice in the 41 degree heat.As it was Ramadam no restaurants served food till after 8:30pm (Mc Donalds and KFC were opened) again got ready for evening meal went down at 8:30pm to find the small dining room closed went to reception they said because of Ramadam food will not be served till 9:30pm and they seemed totally uninterested at our disgust. We started walking (half hour to nearest shops) to look for somewhere to eat we found a great Italian/Moroccan restaurant which was great the owner used to own a restaurant in Brighton. We had our evening meal there for the reminder of our stay. On our last day thought we'd just hang out round the pool and have our snack there like we did on our 1st day, the pool and our room was the best thing about the hotel. We decided to order chips for 12'ish the waiter said he was sorry but we would have to wait until 1pm - no worries thought.... went back to order at 1pm to be told that they could not serve chips on their own, only with a burger, I said ok then he came back and said that they had ran out of Chips and could only serve 'crisps'. We ended up going to shop next to Hotel and buying pringles and a bottle of coke and chocolate to keep us going till our Italian/Moroccan restaurant opened at 6.30pm.
We also had problems with our phone ringing at random times and up to 11pm at night- we unplugged it, on one occassion the phone rang and the person on the other end said they were engineers I assumed it had something to do with our aircon not working so had a conversation the the engineer asked me to meet him at the reception, I went down leaving my 2 daughters in our room and asked the lady on the reception were the engineer was who had called me down she said there was no engineer and no one had called me she checked our room and obviously my daughter answered she said it was most likely a wrong number but I actually think there could be some sort of Scam going on there so be careful as you go to reception someone could be on their way to your room ....... ~Breakfast was disgusting ............ never again my worst nightmare would be to be stuck there .........

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel through Groupon & thought my research was good enough however forgot to check tripadvisor!

Arriving into the country I had organised a pick up through the hotel for €20 but the hotel had to be called by a helpful man at the airport as they hadn't appeared after nearly an hour. (On our way back to the airport we got a taxi from outside for 60 Dirhams, nearly £5 instead of £15 through the hotel.). Booking in took a while as the young male who did it seemed uninterested & unhelpful. The hotel seemed to want to add extra money at every opportunity including paying for the safe which had never been mentioned. Our room phone didn't work and we only had one light in the bathroom and even after we reported the issues they were never solved. Breakfast was ok although the flies & cats were still there, as mentioned in other reviews. The last, highly amusing point is about the spa facilities ... never have I visited such a poor spa; a sauna for one which didn't heat up enough, a cold hydro massage (think cold Jacuzzi) and a DIY hamman (luckily I've had a proper one in Turkey to realise it's not the norm).

The food was overpriced at the pool bar & there was little choice but did taste good and was quick to arrive. The pool was fine, some of the beds a little broken but useable & there is an area with cover now. Just remember to pack a towel as you can't use the room towels. The rooms were ok & like an ice box at times.

We ended up having to find it funny otherwise it would have spoilt the trip. Marrakech was great but I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2012
Airdrie, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Headed off for a 12 night stay in the Imperial Plaza Hotel Marrakesh and lasted one night in it. The condition of the hotel is poor, dirty and with the exception of the concierge, Abdula, the staff were completely disinterested and unhelpful. Even when we left, the manager shrugged her shoulders said nothing and walked away. Completely disinterested. We had an awful meal the day we arrived and an atrocious breakfast the following morning prior to leaving. There were flies all over the food which was already curled up and poor quality and cats sat on the seats in the restaurant. If I simply say avoid this hotel, it would not be good enough advice. This hotel is not 4 star, and would struggle to be 2 stars in the UK. Avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: The only helpful tip for this hotel is avoid at all cost.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Where do I start! Hotel didn't have our booking so made us wait over an hour. When got to room there was a used plaster on the sink. The room stank of sewage. Flies everywhere in the resturant. All buffet meals with flies all over the food. Twice when I was resting in the room someone came barging in without knocking - this was quite unerving when your half asleep. I kept asking for towels and being told they would be sent up - I am still waiting! The balcony door didn't close. We met a guy in the bar before we went out one night and left him there. At 4am we had a [hone call from him in our room but we had never given him our room number!! My friend got her bag stolen off her arm just outside the hotel - the staff were helpful with dealing with this though and very sorry - aparently it doesn't happen oftern.
When asking for things at reception you were then ignored while they talked about you but not too you, when you asked what was going on they told us to 'be paitent!' and waves us to sit down out there way.
There were one or two staff that were ever so nice and wish there were more of them.
Also do not buy water from the hotel go to the shop next door is less than half the price at the hotel!
And to top it off we had a bill to pay at the end and they didn't give us a bill or a recipt!
Its about 15mins from everything and you have to pay for taxis which dont ask them to help you it will take over 30mins!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Leeds
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Honest traveller report. Hotel is located 15 minutes in a taxi from the medina, with a small local shop and chemist next door. Roof top pool is nice, and breakfast is acceptable. But that is where the enjoyment ends. The staff are rude and unhelpful, tending towards aggressive at times. Our room wouldn't lock, and their "technician" left after half an hour, informing us he was giving up. We waited over 2 hours before eventually forcing them to move us to another room. Even then, we were left to view 2 different twin bed rooms before they finally let us have a double room. Other guests had similar problems with room locks and safe locks, and we met 2 couples who had items stolen from their rooms. The hotel itself is very dated, with empty fountains and general signs of wear and tear. The lifts are temperamental, which to be fair matches the staff. When we came to leave, we queried a room bill of 400 dirham. Having queried this, the staff locked our bags in a room and refused to let us leave the hotel until we had paid, putting a security guard on the door. My wife felt very intimidated, and when we did try to get into our taxi to the airport, the security guard stood in front of the taxi with 3 other members of staff shouting at us and our poor taxi driver. When we arrived at the airport (25 minute drive away), a member of the hotel staff came running in and calling us back. The hotel director had followed us to the airport to apologise and give me 400 dirham.
We suggest avoiding this hotel, but please don't be put off visiting Marrakech which was absolutely amazing in every respect. We recommend Marrakech by Air for a hot air balloon flight, and various restaurants including the Marrachi and MK Gastro.

Room Tip: Insist on a double, or better still choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Swiss International Imperial Plaza? Share your experiences!