“Just Remember You're in North Africa” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Swiss International Imperial Plaza

Save Saved
You added Swiss International Imperial Plaza to your Saves list
Swiss International Imperial Plaza
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Abdelkrim Khattabi Avenue | Semlalia Street, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #386 of 460 Hotels in Marrakech
Los Angeles, California
“Just Remember You're in North Africa”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

Stayed here for a week. Older hotel downtown w/ noise to go w/ it. but services where what I wanted as a solo traveler. Hotel had tours, but they were really just a driver. Not much in the way of explanation. I had to cancel one because I was sick and the hotel kept 15 euro for the driver (seats were moslty available), Be aware of water all over Morocco. I tried to only buy it in tourist places, but many locations switch the water out of the mineral water bottles and fill w local water and less expensive sodas. I got quite sick after a big Moroccan tourist dinner. Again, I think it was the water. Every time I started felling better, my stomach bothered me. Fortunately, I had boxes of Slim Fast Bars, and I ate those till I got to London on the way back to the sates.Hotel upgraded me to a suite which was great, but the bed was very uncomfortable. Staff frequently bickered @ the front desk. Most reviews for Marrakesch came in mixed. This is no exception.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the street.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

After a week of staying in riads this was a welcome change! Great service on arrival, shown up to a lovely room with a great view of the Atlas Mountains. When I explored and found the rooftop pool and terrace it looked amazing, couldn't wait for the next day! Unfortunately I did have to ask to change rooms, only because my original room was off the main road and the traffic was very busy and noisy keeping me awake. The reception staff were great and moved me immediately to another room overlooking the gardens which was much quieter. I actually changed my plans to come back here on my last night and booked a spa treatment package, it was fantastic, so relaxing and my skin felt amazing!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens rather than the road
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Do not expect four star accommodation or four star service.......

Positives....

Food good
Rooms good size -beds comfy
Location reasonable

Negatives .....

Staff rude and ignorant
Grubby towels - very rarely replaced left with clean towels, sometime completely without towels!!
Manager attitude terrible
Foul language in music played by the pool f******* b***** etc also extremely loud
Pool not open until 9am in the morning
Pool area dirty never hosed down, mud and rubbish/beer bottle tops everywhere
Nothing to do at night, boring! Only Moroccan music in the bar
Poor housekeeping

Good luck - we would never ever go back

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

We booked for 1 week at beginning of September, we chose this hotel as wanted to be close to center of Marrakesh but still able to escape the crowds if we wanted. Like most other reviews I would agree it is a bit far to walk to the Medina, we did on the first day but the temperatures were so high after that it just wasn't a possibility.

Ok so firstly and most importantly the cons..............
The lady on reception was lovely on our arrival and made us feel very welcome. However she didn't mention that they were turning the water off for the day and halfway through a much needed shower the water disappeared !! She did put it back on for us for half an hour although we had to go back downstairs to ask.
They are really keen to push the excursions on you as soon as you get there, I would recommend researching the prices before you go as they are a a lot more expensive through them. We paid 400dh for 2 returns to Essaoira for the day by going to the bus station directly, the hotel wanted 800! Also for some reason we were told that there would be no food stalls in the main square the evening we arrived, but after our walk down there we discovered that they were all there!! Whether that was a simple mistake or a way of getting you to eat in their restaurant, i don't know.
Once it was clear that we didn't want to go on the hotel excursions the friendly lady we were first met with disappeared and from then on we felt a little bit of a nusianse if we asked anything.
As we booked for a week we got a half hour free massage, this was made as awkward as possible for us to book, we were sent back and forwards between reception and the beauty salon on the 6th floor before we could book it in. But it was free so cant complain too much.
The last (I promise) complaint is the lack of organisation on the hotel pool bar. We were constantly charged different prices for the same item, the lady working on there seemed to just charge what she thought it might be and then never seemed have enough cash in the till to give you change. Also the price of the alcohol is the same if not more then at home but we had kind of expected that.

Now the pros.....

The hotel is clean and tidy, like I said its not a 4* by UK standard but is pretty good .
The rooms were cleaned every day and the air conditioning was an absolute godsend although I did hear other guests complain about not having any, we had no problems with ours.
The porters and door staff were really friendly and always smiling.
Breakfast was quite unique, there was a lady making pancakes every day and plenty of cakes, rolls, ham cheese etc. I eat quite a healthy breakfast so was a little disappointed with what was on offer but if your not too fussy u'll be fine!
The Poole area is great,( although not enough sunbeds) because its on the roof you feel like your a little bit further from the craziness of the Medina and the views are totally uninterrupted over the whole of Marrakesh, It really is lovely.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Nadia and Shaqib (Reception) were superb! They treated us like friends from first day, housekeeping staff surprised us by the level of care they put into tidying our room (comfortable and very clean), the pool is amaaazing. Food not so great but being in Marrakech during Ramadan means less choice of restaurants to have lunch. It is not walking distance from Djemma el Fna( well, not walking in the middle of August at 47C!!!) and taxis were a pain in the neck. But we got two taxis that had a meter and it costs around 12 Dirhams. Any more than that, you are overpaying (We did that a lot!!!) The hotel stay was all in all excellent and we are planning to come back and keep in touch with them.

Room Tip: Rooms facing to the back are the coolest, the little square is really tranquil
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Nicosia, Cyprus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

The staff here are very friendly and professionals.
Room was very clean.
The breakfast is good and there was a lady preparing every morning in front of you a very tasty sweet pastry.
On the other hand the pool was not looking clean enough to swim and the hotel is a little far from the city centre.
Overall the hotel is recomended.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011 via mobile

Imperial Plaza is a decent hotel: the food is delicious, the rooms are large and spacious and the pool is ideal in the hot Moroccan sun. The location is outside of the Medina and so taxis are a must but the staff are incredibly helpful. The room we stayed in was possibly was possibly the biggest hotel room I have ever stayed in. We really enjoyed this hotel and think it is excellent value for money.

• Stayed August 2011

Been to Swiss International Imperial Plaza? Share your experiences!