“Amazing oasis” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #209 of 1,057 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, New York, United States
“Amazing oasis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

I travel a lot and have had all sorts of amazing hotel experiences, but Zaouia 44 outdoes them all. It's an amazingly well designed hotel, with a great staff and a lovely atmosphere. I would almost go to Marrakech just to stay at this place. I stayed for 3 nights at Zaouia 44 and ended up spending quite a lot of time at the hotel, because Marrakech can be quite a stressful place. The hotel has an amazing courtyard with a pool, and an equally great rooftop with beach chairs and great ambience.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

It was my first time in Marrakech and I have to say that I have not been disappointed. We asked the owner Sophie for a driver from the airport, which we recommend because it is cheap and at least you avoid all the arrival drama, and go straight to the Riad without having to even think if you will be able to locate it in the Medina. You will have plenty of time afterwards to ask yourself the question ! The first impression when you enter the house is one of Grandeur, of chic and of peace. The inner courtyard with only white roses and orange trees is a vision of dream ! We were greeted by lovely Mohamed that then led us to our Room, located on the first floor of the Douiria, a little house inside the house with its own private courtyard. The room was full of light, with a fireplace that was so nice to see at night (and so romantic) when the bathroom all in grey tadelakt was also a delightful place to relax. Sophie is an architect and it shows in the details : the bath tub is built over the inner courtyard and bathing inside it you feel that you are in levitation among the bamboo trees. So cool ! The cleanliness is amazing (spotless) each room has A/C and heating and a perfumed candle that was smelling so good + amenities in the bathrooms including a selection of typical moroccan products (black soap etc). We decided to eat at the Riad several times and the food was very good as well as well served. The breakfast served on the terrace or inside the room were also a treat. All in all, everything was up to our expectations !!! I did not talk about Marrakech in this post, maybe thats because I preferred the house itself !!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

I so enjoyed my stay at the riad Zaouia 44. It made Marrakech my favorite home away from home in Morocco. The design is amazing [I am an interior designer] and it's peacefulness and beauty is so far unmatched in all of my stays here. The staff is so helpful for anything you need in Marrakech..I was solo for some of the stay so this was especially important. I , personally, enjoyed walking to the souks , museums, and square and did not really care to stay near the maddening pace of the square. I have to say in one word "perfect"!

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful..I actually stayed in 2 different ones. It is quiet in all rooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011 via mobile

When we arrived after a looong day travelling my partner looked at me in shock when driving through the street toward the Riad. I had taken charge of all bookings for our trip and I think it was somewhat of a culture shock especially as the end of ramandan and beginning of Eid festival was the day of our arrival! It was so busy, 4 members of a family on one scooter, people everywhere. As soon as we stepped into the Riad it was calm and a million miles away.

We were greeted by Sophie and Mohammed. Mint tea of course and a unexpected but romantic 3 course meal in the courtyard.

Our room was stunning. Comfortable bed. Huge bathroom, great storage for clothes. It was a really luxury to have the garden patio leading out to our room.

Breakfast on the roof terrace was delicious. Fresh orange, pancakes, tea and coffee.

We lost our pre paid visa card which on our first day was stressful however Sophie advised we were in no rush to check out of our room and pointed us in the direction of the western union.

It is around a 20 min walk to the souks however I did not find this an issue. Taxis are cheap at around 40/50DHS if you are lost or tired. I liked the more authentic feel staying at the northern end of the medina. The mosque near by is quite noisy. I got the fright of my life on the first evening. By the middle of our stay in Marrakech I could sleep through the prayers!

I would highly recommend zaouia 44

• Stayed September 2011
Marrakech
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

A lovely quiet riad in the norther part of the medina. A bit difficult to find, but once you get there..... see for yourself!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

I decided to spend my 50th in marrakesh having visited twice before. Its mad, different, fun and so varied there's something for everyone. That bit was easy, the most difficult was finding somewhere to stay that would suit well travelled friends and family- and I found it. From the moment we arrived and were welcomed by the wonderful Mohamed and Soumia, in the most beautiful Riad I knew we would have a great stay. On the first evening we also met the owner Frederique, a charming Frenchman, husband to Sophie the architect responsible for the simple yet stunning restoration of Riad Zaouia. I think what made the stay most special was Mohamed and Soumia who are totally wonderful. If there is one criticism, it is the location- a bit out of the main drag and impossible for taxi drivers to find. However, don't let that put you off..Mohamed and Soumia- we miss you already!

• Stayed April 2011
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

Just perfect.
Charming patio, very stylish rooms, excellent service.
A very good location, next to Ben Youssef Mosque.
2nd time here, just with my wife. We loved it, as we loved it a year ago with our 3 children.
And we enjoyed its hamman.

I recommand 100%.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Zaouia 44? Share your experiences!