“Lovely Place, wonderful staff.” 5 of 5 stars

Riad Lakhdar
3.0 of 5 Hostel   |   28 Jbel Lakhdar R'mila, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #43 of 188 Specialty Lodging in Marrakech
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Lovely Place, wonderful staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

e arrived at the Riad fresh off the overnight train from Tangier, rather fraught and tired after an 11 hour journey. Immediately we were ushered to a beautiful and calm courtyard and given a pot of mint tea. Our welcome couldn't have been kinder. Morocco seems to run on mint tea, and there was certainly no shortage of it at the riad, on offer every time we got home from our adventures out in the city. which we discovered, at the end of our stay to be complementary.

Tourists in Marrakesh can often be in danger of being ripped off, especially by taxi drivers, and we were no exception! On discovering that we'd been badly treated on one journey in perricular, the owner of the riad offered the services of his brother as a ride the next day. It was certainly cheaper, less frought, and safer than the taxis. The car was also less than 30 years old too, which was a relief.

Our room was off the courtyard and was plenty large enough. The mattresses were very firm, but afforded a good night's sleep. The bathroom was huge.

Both rooms, as well as the courtyard were beautifully and traditionally decorated and very comfortable and relaxing. There was a large plasma screen tv in our room,but we never used it.

Since the windows of our room, as is usual in Morocco, opened into the courtyard, the room could have been rather airless, were it not for the efficient, and thankfully quiet, air conditioning.

The staff were attentive and thoughtful but unobtrusive, which is a wonderful respite from the hustle of the medina. Some of them had very little or no English, but with a little creative mime and schoolroom French, one could get by very well.

The Riad has a small Hammam, and an attendant/masseur to look after you, if you wish. A little pricier than your average public baths, perhaps, but far far cheaper than those offered in most tourist spas and hotels. A hammam can be a little daunting, if you are unused to being undressed in the company of strangers (though it is de rigeur to keep one's underwear/bikini on. Our intendant was female, but a male was available if required. The experience was delightful and soothing, not uncomfortable at all. One's skin certainly appreciates the care and attention, and is silky smooth at the end.

We had dinner in the Riad once, and although, after 3 days in Morocco, we felt tagined out, it was by far the best food we had during our time in Morocco. Beautifully home cooked, fresh, plentiful, carefully seasoned and presented.

Breakfasts, though the same each morning, were delicious, freshly prepared and filling

The rooms were beautifully and thoroughly cleaned every day.

I feel I must say a little about staying in any Riad. All the rooms have their doors and windows facing INTO the courtyard, which is also the main thoroughfare of the building. This, of course, shelters you from street noise (which is a blessing in a loud and bustling city like Marrakesh), but you will inevitably hear the other guests coming and going. Also, smoking is as ubiquitous in Morocco as tagine and mint tea.

All in all, the stay at Riad Lakhdar was one of the highlights of our stay in the country; mor like staying with friends than in a hotel. The staff were delightful, the building calming, attractive and very close to Djeba el Fna and all of the attractions of the City.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

This is my second stay at this riad. I came 4 years ago with my husband, this time with two friends. Hard as it may seem, it's even better this time. The staff were just so lovely, and made our stay so pleasant. The owner is lovely, the staff are absolutely incredible, so kind and lovely. Love love love this place.
It's such a peaceful, restful oasis after the intense, excitement, and full on experience of the medina and the square.

Would always recommend booking in advance and having a fixed, set price (I booked through Hostelbookers) - but this comment goes for absolutely everything in this country. Agree a price before you agree a sale, nothing is set price anywhere really. That's just how it is.

I've stayed in half a dozen Riads across Marrakech and essouaria and this is best by far. The staff other than the owner may not speak fluent English, but it was no barrier whatsoever. We never had a problem communicating anything other than complex stuff.

I love that it isn't in the medina, yet so very close so you can get there anytime. I love how small and intimate it feels. I adored the staff, love the breakfast - even better than my first trip here.

Can't wait until I can come again. And I will only stay here. It's BETTER than a home away from home.

Room Tip: They're all good, and there's only 6 of them
Faversham, Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I just visited Marrakech for the first time and loved this riad! The service was so warm and friendly. We were met by the owner and immediately given mint tea and orange juice. Then I was shown to my very spacious and beautifully decorated room which was so cozy and cool with the air conditioning. (It was 40+ degrees both days but cool in the riad).

I had a problem with my shower head which the owner fixed right away. One of the owners speaks English really well and was helpful in answering our questions and getting us whatever we needed.

There is a breakfast which consisted of an egg, some yummy bread, tea, orange juice, jam and butter.

The staff were also very accommodating and so lovely. There is a hammam in the hotel as well for the reasonable price of 200dh for an hour.

I loved this riad and will come again and stay here. The price is very reasonable and the location is perfect. It's nice and quiet but close enough to the main activities that you can come back in the heat of the day to relax. It was so lovely and I miss it already!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I just returned from Riad Lakhdar in Marrakech and I was very sad to leave. The house is simply beautiful, the staff members are helpful, friendly, amazing and always smiling. The location was great, just a five minute walk to the souks, under 10 minutes to the main square. Great breakfast, beautiful architecture, super service. I will definitely recommend to anyone visiting Marrakech and I would happily return to Riad Lakhdar again.

Ger, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

So far we have visited Marocco twice. In total we have stayed at Marrakech four times, each time at Riad Lakhdar and we would go there any time again. The hosts are very attentive and caring people who try to make you feel as comfortable as possible. The place itself makes you feel at home already. When you come back from the croweded suks or the chaotic Jeema el Fna and all you are longing for is a quiet and calm place for contemplation, Riad Lakhdar is what you are searching for. You enter the Riad and all of the sudden the agitation and heat from Marocco's streets is forgotten, you start to relax and regenerate. The rooms are nicely decorated and the court yard especially is a place to spend time in -shady and peaceful.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

First the location. Excellent. 10 minute relaxing walk to the Medina. The host: He speaks French but no English. I don't speak French but we communicated well enough with hand gestures and a few English words. He's really funny and entertaining, We briefly met the owner who seemed nice. Breakfast: Delicious. A lot of food and very tasty. The rooms: Our room was really comfortable, but it was cold in Febraury. They had thick blankets, but I needed to wear additional clothing. Overall, I highly recommend the Riad for the price!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Stuttgart
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

This small riad at the outskirt of the medina close to the new city is the lerfect location to stay for couples who are looking for a flashpacker accomodation.

The road has big rooms that are very clean with tv, ac and daily maid service. The included breakfast that they serve on the rooftop terrace is fair enough for the price of just under 500 dirham a night for two.

The big advantage of the location is that it is 5 min to the big square but more quiet at night.

I would stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014

Been to Riad Lakhdar? Share your experiences!