“nice place, just one problem in morning” 3 of 5 stars

Riad Lakhdar
3.0 of 5 Hostel   |   28 Jbel Lakhdar R'mila, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #34 of 190 Specialty Lodging in Marrakech
meknes
“nice place, just one problem in morning”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

everything was efficient, no kind of problems but the breakfast... I travel morocco for my job and at 8.00 I'm supposed even if not obliged to be out from the hotel, I think the customers of this riad usually are people in holidays so they are not at all pressed. This morning I get my breakfast at 9.00, the problem was just nobody was at the reception from 7.00 to 8.30. If I would be there for holidays too, this place should have been a pretty good choice, quite, near city center, with kind people as staff. I can suggest to stay at the riad, but ask for breakfast time the evening before!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Overall we did enjoy our stay at this Riad. The place looks amazing at night, but during the day it does look a little tired and could do with a fresh coat of paint in some areas.
Our room was on the ground floor. The general noise of the place was ok at times, but mostly not. It did feel like we were sleeping in one big room with everyone.

There seems to be some sort of renovation going on to the whole building next door so from about 9am to 5ish you will hear constant hammering.

Pros:
- friendly staff
- yummy breakfast (pastry, flat pancakes, oj, tea and coffee etc)
- balcony area to sit and have breakfast in the mornings.

Cons:
- noisy (as would most Riads be like coming from the courtyard) but being on the ground floor we had the people above us too thumping about. We could hear conversations and even when they coughed.
- Smell of sewage occasionally. Our bathroom had this smell and also on the top balcony area
- People smoking on the balcony. The smell would come into our room anytime someone was out there.

I understand that one shouldn't expect a western level accommodation in an old area of town (or old city) but from the reviews of the place I think my expectations were too high.

Still, its good for a short stay only.

Room Tip: Get a room that isnt on the ground floor. Otherwise you are competing with noise in the foyer and ab...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Jackson Heights, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

The hotel is beautiful. Very charming and quiet, and has an excellent location. It's inside the medina, but in an area that your taxi can take you to directly, but is only about a block from the souks, and a 5-10 minute walk from the main square. The housekeeper was very sweet and made excellent breakfast for us every morning.

We stayed at the riad a second time after going to a nearby coastal city for a couple of days. We arranged the second stay with the owner before leaving the first time, and left a cash deposit with him. When we arrived for the second stay, we were told the riad was full and were brought to another riad next door (riad lakhiti, which doesn't seem to be listed online but turned out to be very nice as well) for the first of our two nights. As weird as this was at first, we actually really liked the second hotel and wanted to stay the second night, but were asked by Lakhdar's owner to return to his riad that night because they had been expecting our business. Considering we had expected to stay at Lakhdar the night before but were turned away, we didn't really appreciate being told what to do, but didn't want to cause any trouble. It soured what was otherwise a good experience at the hotel. We would still recommend staying there, but please be sure to book online through expedia or something like it, because I think making a verbal reservation is what got us into the strange situation we were put in. For this reason I've left a 3 for service, but it should be mentioned that the housekeeper did an excellent job and gets a full 5 stars for herself.

Kaunas, Kauno Apskritis, Lithuania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed here with my husband for 6 nights. The Mahjoub - owner of this nice Riad - was very helpful, hospitable and joyful. He speaks good English.
The riad was exactly what I saw on pictures - beautiful and now I can told that it was very quite at night. All the people which are working there were nice.The riad staff done their best. There is 6 rooms, every have a bathroom. There is a hammam in riad also.
We took trip from riad to Sahara desert, so the breakfast was not in time as usually( 9 in tne morning), but at 7. I was happy of it.
The riad located in a very good and guiet place in Medina.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Midhurst, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed here with my daughter and step daughter for 3 nights. It was my daughter's second stay here. The riad is a lovely piece of tranquility from the noise and busy pace of life in Marrakech. It is in a perfect position just minutes from the main square. We never had to wait more than a minute after ringing the doorbell and the hallway that meets you is magnificent.
The decor is very traditional, with lovely doors, courtyard, tiles and furniture and this is carried on into the rooms on both the ground and first floors. Our room was more than big enough for 3 single
beds and the bathroom was huge with a bath and good shower. Towels were changed while we were there too. Roof terrace was lovely and a great place to sit. The only noise we had was the birds tweeting in the morning and the early morning call to prayer.
The airport pick up was €14 for us but between 3 of us that didn't seem bad. I'm sure you could get a taxi more cheaply but make sure they put on the meter.
VERY friendly and helpful staff we couldn't have asked for better. Always offering mint tea/coffee when we came in during the day or in the evening. A fantastic breakfast which set us up for the day. All this for €20 a night! Thank you Mahjoub, Jemil and all the staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I booked here for 2 nights, stayed for a further one night and then returned for 2 nights later on during our holiday. This riad is beautiful, quiet and intimate , perfect for couples with lovely friendly staff and gorgeous traditional decor. The courtyard is tranquil and peaceful with the sound of birds tweeting. It is home-spun and relaxed and the location is key, really central but in an easy to find street, far enough to escape the main square, only a 5 min walk from Jemaa el Fnaa. Fantastic value for money, giving you the full riad experience at a very good price.The staff helped us out with our last minute plans to buy some furniture and went out their way to help arrange to send it back to the UK, they really were so kind and hospitable. We will definitely return and would highly recommend staying here, thank you so much for such a wonderful service.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights with my husband in an en-suite double room on the ground floor and thought this was a really good choice overall.

For convenience, we were picked up at the airport by the very nice, english speaking owner of the riad. It should be noted that the transfer was very expensive at €15 compared to a taxi at around half that price. As the riad has road access it's very easy to get there yourself by taxi should you wish.

The riad was decorated very nicely and after the customary mint tea welcome we were shown our room which was very spacious, with a huge bathroom (with a great shower) and lovely traditional decor. The terrace had a good view and a great place to relax.

The two main positives of the property are the location, which is around 10 mins walk away from the main square and on a proper road and the staff, all of whom are very helpful.

The reasons why I gave the property a 4 rather than 5 was as follows:
- Expensive transfer price as mentioned above. The property is literally 10 mins away from the airport being on the side of the medina that the airport is located. So while it is convenient, it was not good value.
- The property had a nice looking small hammam, which was priced at €15 per person, which is very overpriced having experienced private hammams myself.
- Meals at the riad were priced at €18 per person. We didn't go for this as there are several restaurants where you can eat great food for around £10 per person. One example is Riad Jama where the tagine was just 70dh but was the best I tasted.

However overall the stay was great value priced at around £28 per night for the room. Note that I rated sleep quality as 3/5 due to sound carrying within a riad, which is no fault of the owner. This also depends on how considerate your fellow guests are - ear buds are a must.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Lakhdar? Share your experiences!