“Calm relaxing oasis in an amazing (but crazy) city” 5 of 5 stars
Review of SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace

Save Saved
You added SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace to your Saves list
SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Zone de l'Agdal, av Mohamed VI, Marrakech 40 0000, Morocco   |
Ranked #192 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
“Calm relaxing oasis in an amazing (but crazy) city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is a fantastic hotel with great staff. I have just come back from a lovely 2 week break with my husband and they could not have done any more to make our stay special.

We chose it after extensive research on tripadvisor, so thank you fellow travellers for your feedback. One of the main reasons I eventually chose this hotel though (as not all reviews were positive) was the fact that the hotel director takes the time to respond personally to all feedback on this site. I felt that this showed good attention to detail and that was a very good starting point, I was not disappointed, this same attention to detail is evident everywhere - the hotel is very well kept, beautifully clean and all of the staff friendly and helpful. The hotel director takes the time to walk around the hotel, introducing himself to guests and requesting feedback. We had no reason to complain about anything with the hotel but I am confident that if we had, it would have been quickly addressed. We were particularly impressed with Najib in the Italian restaurant and Salhome(?) in the pool bar but the service was great everywhere. The whole concierge team were also fantastic, they gave us good advice on what to see and seamlessly sorted us out with a Sahara trip booking when First Choice/Thomson let us down at the last minute by cancelling the trip that we had booked with them. The concierge guys also drive the shuttle bus which is a great way to get into Marrakesh itself (just 10 minutes) and was always there on time to pick us up again when we had had enough! It would have been good if there was a slightly later shuttle bus run (last return is 19.15) to allow for some time in Marrakesh in the evening, but a taxi isn't expensive so not a huge problem. The hotel helped us out again on our last day when First Choice forgot to pick us up for our airport transfer, at my request they phoned our rep and then provided the hotel shuttle bus and a concierge to take us to the airport so that we didn't miss our flight.

Our room was fantastic, we had requested a quiet room with good views of the Atlas mountains and the room that we were allocated was quiet, beautifully appointed and with both pool and Atlas mountain views.

We used both the Moroccan and the Italian restaurants, the food was great in both, although I personally preferred the food in the Italian. The ambience is special in the Moroccan, you are seated on Moroccan sofa-style seating, in a nicely partitioned space with traditional musicians playing live music. The ambience is less good in the Italian as it is a large room with no partitions and 'muzac', but you can watch the chefs at work if you like through a large glass window into the kitchen and the food is fabulous, especially the ice cream and sorbet:-)
The buffet restaurant for breakfast and dinner was also excellent with a good variety of dishes both Moroccan and European. It was always clean and well presented. We were able to have breakfast outside on the terrace in the first week which was lovely but after that it was a little too cool, but there was good heating inside the restaurant. The pool bar/restaurant is also perfect for a light lunch and the food there is freshly cooked to order.
We were on all inclusive but we did tip. People always thanked us and we never felt like it was expected, when on a couple of occasions we didn't have change so couldn't tip we still got great service the next time, so we didn't have any problem with tipping.

One feature I really liked was the pool service. Towels were provided rolled up on the loungers. to occupy a lounger you just rolled out the towel. I haven't come across this approach before and loved the fact you didn't have to carry your beach towel around with you, especially once it was wet! The pool itself is huge and kept clean - we watched the pool guy hard at work cleaning it every morning, One word of warning though the outside pool is not heated, it gets cold at night in November and that meant that although the day temperature was lovely, the pool itself was cold. The hotel is only 10 mins from the airport which is a great short transfer although it is just off the flight path, you only notice planes when outside and its not really disturbing, we didn't mind it but I thought I'd mention it as some people do.

In summary we loved this hotel, we loved Marrakesh and we loved Morocco, but we were really pleased to be staying away from the madness of the Medina in this beautiful hotel. The place is amazing and we found the people welcoming and charming. We got back on Tuesday and I'm already trying to work out how soon we can return!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kenzi Menara P, Directeur général at SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Dear Lorna W

I’m glad to read your comment posted on Tripadvasor describing your last journey in Marrakech, and would like to thank you for sharing this experience with all the travelers.
We are proud to see that you enjoyed our beautiful gardens, our buildings, indoor and outdoor swimming pool, the diner and the lunch, also the breakfast with all these advantages and these delights.
I am also satisfied to notice that you have to appreciate our very spacious rooms overlooking the amazing Atlas Mountains.
Looking forward to welcome you again for another relaxing time at the kenzi Menara Palace.

Directeur Général

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Really struggled with this review. There are some parts of this hotel and parts of my stay I really liked, and some ... well, I was enormously let down.

Firstly the good: The room was fantastic. A huge 3 room suite with two separate courtyards was a bit overkill for a single bloke on business ... but I loved it. Comfortable, palatial, the room itself, I could not fault. Up there with some of the best 5 star rooms I have stayed in (and that is a lot!).

The food: (note also the bad here) The food tasted specatacular. An awesome array of starters, mains and deserts for all meals. Again from a cullinary taste point of view ... could not fault the presentation nor the range ... brilliant!

The Conference facilities: Great room with natural light. Good sound quality and good attention by the hotel's AV staff ...

Now the bad:
Unfortunately a few things seriously outweighed all the good.
1) Service: At the bars It was very poor. Rude, arrogant, standoffish would be a few words to describe service at most of the bars. I understand alcohol is not he most coveted drink in Morroco, but still the service was in general appaling. The restaraunts it was somewhat better but still ...
2) Room service: I wanted an iron ... could I get one? Not a chance. I had to pay for someone else to iron my stuff and that took over 6 hours. ... again very very poor for a hotel like this
3) Room service: I asked for beers and water to be topped up in the bar fridge ... did it happen? No not once over the whole week. I Asked 4 times and then just gave up.
4) Food: Yes, I got food poisoning. I was sick for 1.5 weeks after this trip. Not quite sure what caused it. I was careful with my water, and drinks ... so can only put it down to the food. Take immodium / gastro-stop with you!
5) The internet: just shocking ... would drop out at least 5 times a day and you had to enter a long code to reactivate. It was not just me, everyone experienced the same issues

So some strikingly good, and some strikingly bad ... would I stay again? Probably not, I'll try somewhere else.

Room Tip: I really liked my ground floor room as it had a nice grass area out the front
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Kenzi Menara P, Directeur général at SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Dear James H

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing the Kenzi Menara Palace for your last journey in Marrakech, also for posting your review to share this experience with all tripadvsor’s visitors.
I’m glad to see that staff’s hotel has been helpful and available and you enjoyed our magnificent interior architecture, our large pool and our restaurants.
concernig the bar our selection has 20 alcohol cocktails, with 5 champagne and 7 without alcohol.
The Mini-Bar I am surprised that you have to call for beer and mineral water while the bar has 2 beers, mineral waters in 4 different composition and juice.
For the iron due to incidents of bad practice we do not use the ironing room, and finally for the internet maybe you're talking about a former residence you talk about connection problems while our code is as simple as possible.
I hope to see you again very soon to make your stay as pleasant as possile

Hatfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

This is one of the best hotels we have stayed in. Our lovely large room overlooked the pool and well kept gardens. The service was very attentive in every area and the breakfast was plenty full with lots of choices.
We have nothing but praise for this clean hotel and hopefully you won't be disappointed.
We used the hammam, sauna and had a first class massage also enjoyed a tagine in the Morocan restaurant......what a way to spend a birthday!
Of course Marrakech was a fascinating place to visit which was 10 minutes away on the hotel shuttle bus.

Room Tip: We stayed in 226 but I believe most rooms facing the pool have balconies.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kenzi Menara P, Directeur général at SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Dear Morrison Diana,

I would like to thank you for having chosen the Kenzi Menara Palace to spend your recent journey in Marrakech.
I’m happy to note that you have enjoyed the spacious and comfortable rooms, the pool and the restaurants.
Your comment shows clearly that you have been warmly welcomed by our staff who did the best to offer you an unforgettable holiday at the Kenzi Menara Palace.
Hope will have the chance to receive you again in our hotel for another lovely time.

Vevey, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

This is not a palace but a very nice 4 star hotel in western terms. Rooms are very spacy, same about the swimming pool (50 meters), though it is too cold to swim in this season. Breakfast is generous. Wi FI connection was unsatisfactory and we had to change our room because of that. Price was quite low for this class of hotel (132 Euros, out of season). Music in the gym room is noisy.

Room Tip: ask for upgrade
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kenzi Menara P, Directeur général at SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear miani02

We are proud to see that you enjoyed our beautiful gardens, our buildings,, the diner and the lunch, also the breakfast with all these advantages and these delights and for the pool is at 23 ° to 24 ° even this week and it is Olympic form.

Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Recently spent 4 days at the Kenzi Menara on a bed and breakfast basis. Check-in was a bit of a slow process but once over we were allocated a lovely, large,comfortable room with all the amenities one would expect including a lovely balcony overlooking the pool and extensive and very well kept gardens.Our friends were allocated the room next door which was very helpful. Breakfast buffet each day was well set out with a wide choice of food and our party (4 adults) found the dining room staff attentive and professional,always quick to re-fill our coffee and to clear away our used plates etc. We spent one and a bit days relaxing by the pool and had lovely comfortable pool beds with 2 towels per person. There is a little noise from the planes taking off from the nearby airport but they were infrequent. Ate lunch at the pool bar and the service was quick and the food good. Also tried out the indoor pool and steam room. Bit fiddly to book our free steam session but otherwise fine. Lovely indoor pool with lots of clean towels etc. Also used the gym which was small but perfectly adequate with a good choice of fitness machines and a trainer in attendance. Ate in the hotel buffet on two evenings and found the food and service to be of a very high standard, especially the puddings!! The price of the buffet at around £22pp was comparable with other hotels we've stayed in. The mains menu was also different on the 2 nights we ate there. Also used the free hotel shuttle service which on one occasion was full but a second shuttle quickly arrived. The only down side to the hotel for us was that people could smoke everywhere, which we found a little annoying as we're used to smoke free environments these days. However that's the norm in Marrakech and it wasn't that bad. Overall a lovely mini break in the sun with the Hotel Kenzi really adding to the enjoyment. Recommended.

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 260 and 261 which were both very quiet and overlooked the gardens and pool. They...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear CountLippe

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed 2 nights with room and breakfast in mid November 2013 on a mini golf vacation. The room and bathroom were large with all the amenities needed. The buffet breakfast offered an extensive choice and was also very well presented. The restaurant staff was plentiful but seemed disinterested in serving the guests. However the front desk staff and bellmen were very helpful with great personalities. Furthermore, I forgot my passport in the room safe and Fatima-ez-hra (the front office manager) saved the day by immediately shipping it to me in Casablanca as my flight was leaving the next day at 7am. We enjoyed the hotel and would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear sdevito

I would like to thank you for having chosen the Kenzi Menara Palace to spend your recent journey in Marrakech, also for posting your review to share this experience with all tripadvisor’s visitors.
Your comment shows clearly that you have been warmly welcomed by our staff that did the best to offer you an unforgettable holiday.
Many thanks for your compliments towards the spacious rooms, the Olympic sized pool and the restaurants.
Looking forward to welcome you again for another relaxing time at the Kenzi Menara Palace.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed a week at this hotel on a bed and breakfast basis. The location is good, the staff are polite and helpful and the rooms are good. In the evenings there was a quality duo entertaining people at the bar. The bus to town is good to see on offer.

So what is the but? Even taking into account the quality of the hotel we thought that the prices for drinks and food (we did not go all inclusive) were exceptionally high - equal to similar quality in London's West End. This feeling of food and drink being overpriced meant that we were happy to pay for taxis there and back to eat out more than we would have really liked.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kenzi Menara P, Directeur général at SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Emilevisits

you find that the selling price of the drinks and food are too expensive although I do not patage this opinion let me slip you a tip for your next stay in our hotel for a slight surcharge choose All Inclusive and the amount you have 24/24 of our restaurants products: internationnale buffet lunch and dinner, snack bar by the pool, with entertainment resaturate Moroccan, Italian restaurant "bellisima" room service at night, oriental bar, snack and lunch late peit all included.

Directeur Général

Been to SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace? Share your experiences!