“Over-stated at 5* but a good base to mix exploring & relaxing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace

You added SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace to your Saves list
SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Zone de l'Agdal, av Mohamed VI, Marrakech 40 0000, Morocco   |
Ranked #181 of 463 Hotels in Marrakech
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Over-stated at 5* but a good base to mix exploring & relaxing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I think that most good reviews come when a hotel surpasses expectations, with this hotel promising 5 star all inclusive accomodation it would have to go some way to deserve a rave review. What it did well was the pool and land scaping, lovely gardens and a huge pool with plenty of comfy sunbeds. The rooms were fine too, nice big beds and lots of storage to spread out.
We booked based on the "all inclusive" name of the hotel, however, we were actually only B&B, luckily we discovered this before we got there so no nasty bills but a bit of a sneaky trick that seems to be by the hotel not expedia. The breakfast was fine, there was enough choice for the few days we stayed but it certianly wasn't five star food. We didn't eat in the hotel other than at breakfast. The concierge recommended a lovely Italian restaurant in the new town so I would say to listen to their suggestions for food. They also arranged a trip to the Atlas Mountains which was good but the advice that we would be taking a 20 minute walk and would be ok in flip flops was a little wide of the mark! Prepare to climb over rocks and also to pay a separate guide on top of your driver (we thought the initial price seemed a bit too good to be true.) Also prepare to barter in the women's co-op they take you to on the way up, we were well into bartering in the souks but were a bit too generous in their shop!
Overall this was a good location for a group of girls wanting to experience the buzz of Marrakech over a slightly longer period of time so as to fit in a bit of rest and sun bathing. As we wanted to eat out every day it was fine that we weren't all inclusive as we first thought, we just thought drinks round the pool may have been good but no one seemed to mind that we took our own.
One day I would love to go to a 5 star hotel that was 5 star in every way, this was not the place to deliver that.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I was spending a week climbing the Atlas mountains and had a couple of days at this hotel to relax in after. Bought through Groupon. Our deal included two Hamam passes.

The hotel itself was nice, also wouldn't call it 5*, but a nice hotel all the same.

On the day we used our Hamam pass a male cleaner saw my friend and I go into the Hamam steam room. Later a man came in in shorts (boxers I think) and flip flops and said he was there to give us a massage. I won't go into details but he was a cleaner posing as a Masseuse. He abused his position and totally pushed his luck.

I was helped by my friend and upon trying to explain what happened to the Spa manager, who clearly didn't believe me, we spotted the cleaner back in his cleaning uniform innocently mopping the floors around the pool. I explained this was the man I was talking about.

Concierge (very good english) talked me out of calling the police. The hotel Preseident talked me out of it too. I left there with a free meal and massage and manicure as compensation. Later after writing a letter to complain, I was offered two free nights for two, full board. But to be honest.... I don't want to go back. I just want to make sure that while they told me the cleaner would have been sacked, you can make your own mind up if you want to stay there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Loved our City break in Marrakech but didn't think much of this hotel because the staff were so indifferent. Consequently I would say that this is by far the worst "5 Star" guest experience we've had anywhere in the world. Overall the staff were disengaged and disinterested, spending their time standing around chatting in little groups rather than looking after guests.

A few things we liked. The building and grounds looked good and the pool area was pleasant. Its location between The Medina and the airport was also a bonus. Our twin room was also massive with a lovely balcony and in a very quiet part of the hotel.

If you stay here, be careful when booking up organised tours with the concierge team. Both our allocated guides were insistent on taking us to places of their choice, where we experienced a bit of a hard sell on goods and services. As assertive women we were very comfortable managing our way out of these situations whereas others may have far more difficulty with this.

Wouldn't recommend this hotel. Wouldn't stay again.

Gibraltar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

First of all, I would like to comment that the hotel is brilliant, staff very professional and helpful, the hotel is clean and modern. NOw this will scare you in the sense of hotel policies dealing with lost or robbed suitcases.

We arrived a group of six friends with 6suitcases, 3 big and 3 smaller ones, when we arrived. It was about 9am, the hotel staff came to the entrance and carried ALL our suitcases in the metal carrier, and the carrier was left opposite the reception area. After 3 hours the rooms were ready and we proceeded to the baggage area and we noticed that one of the cases was missing, it was highlighted to the hotel staff, and they tried to search for it, T he hotel staff said that it must have been left behind the taxi, we knew it was not true as 2 persons of the group had counted them on arrival to the hotel.

This happened on Friday13th, the conserve told us to leave the problem in his hands as he would go to the AIrport,and ask the taxi, we insisted that the baggage had ALL arrived at the hotel. But he insisted. I asked on the following day as the suitcase had not been found, for the hotel to give me a letter, for me to take to the insurance company back at home, he said that the hotel would not give me the letter, because lost baggage was not heard off in this hotel.

On S unsay I asked if he could. Take me to the police station , so as to report the loss of the suitcase, and if possible a registered letter stamped and official, for me to take to the insurance company, he said that his friend the commissar did not work on S un days and that the best bet is to try on Monday,

The following day Monday, we were taken to the police station and after a wait of 3hours, we were given the letter,, the inspector commented to me in broken English that this happened on Friday and I had come to the police station on the Monday?????..... Well it seems that the insurance company will not refund us on the loss! The suitcase contained. My laptop, mobile phone and charger and 2 pairs of shoes , and a jersey.

West Sussex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel is weird. How it ever got 5 stars is a mystery. The rooms are big, but very "tired" and the bathrooms are very dated and dark. We were told to find our own room in the dark last night. No-one available to show us where we were. Room was dark and dingy. Dirty bathroom and dirty sheets on the bed. They did immediately move us up to the top floor though, but said that this is more expensive. No idea if they are planning to charge us the extra or not. The breakfast was self-service and not good. Certainly not a match to other 5star hotels we have stayed in in Morocco. We took the half board on the recommendation of our travel agent, But the dinner is a self service buffet too. Not what we thought would be provided at the price we paid !

Room Tip: Make sure you are on the top floor
Washington DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel and had the worst experience checking in, the hotel management and reception are horrible. We were charged for an extra person even though the room we booked had two beds. Do not be fooled by the all-inclusive the only thing they offer is the room but still charge per person. This hotel is about 10-15 minutes from town and airport but be careful with the taxis, we were overcharged a few times. The food at the hotel is pretty bland, we tried the dinner buffet which is over priced and breakfast. We probably will not be returning to Marrakesh as there really isn't alot to do or see except the markets in the old city...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
isle of man
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Tricky one this.... The Hotel itself is lovely, the food is good and the rooms are spacious and clean. My poor rating for this hotel is pretty much down to one thing...their "marketing con". We booked this hotel through Expedia as Kenzi Menara Palace "All -Inclusive". Only when we got to the hotel we were told this was just the name of the hotel ( really!!) and that we had just booked bed and breakfast. This cost us an extra £500 for 6 days ...and since we were stuck we had no choice but to pay. This spoilt the holiday big time as we had no money to pay for excursions the staff assistance was nonchalant...and blamed it on Expedia. Have complained to them also.Some of the staff are friendly , but some just plain surly and unfriendly. Even when we paid all inclusive the look some of the staff gave you if you took more than one drink was priceless. As I say I cant fault the actual hotel ...its nice , so as long as you know what you are paying for... it will be fine . Just felt I was waiting to be ripped off at every turn and spoiled what could have been a very pleasant six day stay

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace? Share your experiences!