“Not a 5 Star Experience!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace

Save Saved
You added SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace to your Saves list
SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Zone de l'Agdal, av Mohamed VI, Marrakech 40 0000, Morocco   |
Ranked #190 of 462 Hotels in Marrakech
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Not a 5 Star Experience!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Loved our City break in Marrakech but didn't think much of this hotel because the staff were so indifferent. Consequently I would say that this is by far the worst "5 Star" guest experience we've had anywhere in the world. Overall the staff were disengaged and disinterested, spending their time standing around chatting in little groups rather than looking after guests.

A few things we liked. The building and grounds looked good and the pool area was pleasant. Its location between The Medina and the airport was also a bonus. Our twin room was also massive with a lovely balcony and in a very quiet part of the hotel.

If you stay here, be careful when booking up organised tours with the concierge team. Both our allocated guides were insistent on taking us to places of their choice, where we experienced a bit of a hard sell on goods and services. As assertive women we were very comfortable managing our way out of these situations whereas others may have far more difficulty with this.

Wouldn't recommend this hotel. Wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Turkish first
Gibraltar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

First of all, I would like to comment that the hotel is brilliant, staff very professional and helpful, the hotel is clean and modern. NOw this will scare you in the sense of hotel policies dealing with lost or robbed suitcases.

We arrived a group of six friends with 6suitcases, 3 big and 3 smaller ones, when we arrived. It was about 9am, the hotel staff came to the entrance and carried ALL our suitcases in the metal carrier, and the carrier was left opposite the reception area. After 3 hours the rooms were ready and we proceeded to the baggage area and we noticed that one of the cases was missing, it was highlighted to the hotel staff, and they tried to search for it, T he hotel staff said that it must have been left behind the taxi, we knew it was not true as 2 persons of the group had counted them on arrival to the hotel.

This happened on Friday13th, the conserve told us to leave the problem in his hands as he would go to the AIrport,and ask the taxi, we insisted that the baggage had ALL arrived at the hotel. But he insisted. I asked on the following day as the suitcase had not been found, for the hotel to give me a letter, for me to take to the insurance company back at home, he said that the hotel would not give me the letter, because lost baggage was not heard off in this hotel.

On S unsay I asked if he could. Take me to the police station , so as to report the loss of the suitcase, and if possible a registered letter stamped and official, for me to take to the insurance company, he said that his friend the commissar did not work on S un days and that the best bet is to try on Monday,

The following day Monday, we were taken to the police station and after a wait of 3hours, we were given the letter,, the inspector commented to me in broken English that this happened on Friday and I had come to the police station on the Monday?????..... Well it seems that the insurance company will not refund us on the loss! The suitcase contained. My laptop, mobile phone and charger and 2 pairs of shoes , and a jersey.

West Sussex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel is weird. How it ever got 5 stars is a mystery. The rooms are big, but very "tired" and the bathrooms are very dated and dark. We were told to find our own room in the dark last night. No-one available to show us where we were. Room was dark and dingy. Dirty bathroom and dirty sheets on the bed. They did immediately move us up to the top floor though, but said that this is more expensive. No idea if they are planning to charge us the extra or not. The breakfast was self-service and not good. Certainly not a match to other 5star hotels we have stayed in in Morocco. We took the half board on the recommendation of our travel agent, But the dinner is a self service buffet too. Not what we thought would be provided at the price we paid !

Room Tip: Make sure you are on the top floor
Washington DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel and had the worst experience checking in, the hotel management and reception are horrible. We were charged for an extra person even though the room we booked had two beds. Do not be fooled by the all-inclusive the only thing they offer is the room but still charge per person. This hotel is about 10-15 minutes from town and airport but be careful with the taxis, we were overcharged a few times. The food at the hotel is pretty bland, we tried the dinner buffet which is over priced and breakfast. We probably will not be returning to Marrakesh as there really isn't alot to do or see except the markets in the old city...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
isle of man
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Tricky one this.... The Hotel itself is lovely, the food is good and the rooms are spacious and clean. My poor rating for this hotel is pretty much down to one thing...their "marketing con". We booked this hotel through Expedia as Kenzi Menara Palace "All -Inclusive". Only when we got to the hotel we were told this was just the name of the hotel ( really!!) and that we had just booked bed and breakfast. This cost us an extra £500 for 6 days ...and since we were stuck we had no choice but to pay. This spoilt the holiday big time as we had no money to pay for excursions the staff assistance was nonchalant...and blamed it on Expedia. Have complained to them also.Some of the staff are friendly , but some just plain surly and unfriendly. Even when we paid all inclusive the look some of the staff gave you if you took more than one drink was priceless. As I say I cant fault the actual hotel ...its nice , so as long as you know what you are paying for... it will be fine . Just felt I was waiting to be ripped off at every turn and spoiled what could have been a very pleasant six day stay

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I recently had a 4 day mini holiday for my 1 year wedding anniversary in Marrakech. My husband was due to book the Sofitel Hotel which we later found out was much better than the Kenzi Palace. The only reason he booked this one was because it stated in the title, 'All Inclusive Preminum' we later found out that this is merely a way to attract customers as it is not infact an all inclusive deal you are getting. When we tried to explain this to the receiptionist - lady with glasses and fringe called Siloua who was very arrogant and rude and unwilling to help, infact looked like she couldnt care less, she had alot of attitude on her. My husband and i had just got there, and not even checked in and already i hated the holiday i had waited for 1 year for.
Next... we spoke to the manager who gave us a complimentry voucher for dinner for our first night for the inconveinice we had experience, the dinner was shocking and so dry.. we thought in the end it was a blessing in distgusie that we didnt get all inclusive, as the food was horrible. the entertainment was scary, a bunch of men banging their drums and shouting something while you are eating, you cant hear yourself think.

everyone is only interested in money here.. dont be fooled..
we asked for towels in our room, and got accused of stealing them as the cleaners claim they couldnt find them..

on my 1st day there when i finally checked into my room, there was a cockroach in the shower.. people can barely speak english so couldnt understand what i was saying.

2nd day another cockroach, so the holiday wasnt going great.. We eventually got upgraded to a suite, but not a pool view, even tho we asked for this.. it was our 1st anniversary, and i was having a horrile time.

the air conditioning in the hotel isnt great, we were there when it was 45 degrees and i couldnt even sit in the sun.. when we asked the staff to put the air con on, they made funny faces and reluctantly done it so low that you cant feel it.

some staff were nice, there was a lovely pretty lady behind the bar who gave me some special tea when i had an upset stomach, and sherrif at concierge was a nice guy, who spoke english too so really helpful.

be prepared to be lumbered with a tax bill at the end of your stay aswell, which they do not warn you about when you check in..

I deinfaltely would never stay here again.. the hotel made my stay the worse ever.. and i had a horrible anniversary when my husband went to so much effort for it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

It may have all the facilities of a 5 star hotel.....but please don't think that this will be a five star stay. We were lucky to only be there for two nights before our flight......and I tried to like it...but the staff did everything they could to make me hate it! Overall I would say you're looking at a glorified Butlins...which is fine if that is what you want....and to be fair we had a massive air conditioned room that easily housed our family of 4 (two teenage kids)......and apart from the fact that the curtains were hanging off the rail with only about three curtain rings, the room was fine......and to be honest for four adults was very good value.
it might be unfair but THANK GOODNESS WE WERE ROOM ONLY...I looked at the buffet and the 'entertainment' and it looked simply awful....and at €28/head (which may or may not include wine...I suspect not!) I was so happy to be able to eat out. (especially as the hotel restaurants appeared to be not air-conditioned).
DO NOT TRUST THE CONCIERGES....they are simply at the front of the queue of people trying to rip you off. They told us it was a taxi ride to the shopping centre that you can actually see from reception...we realised that if you walk out of the back gate of the hotel it is no more than four minutes walk. I also asked them to book me a table in the restaurant PepeNero, which is reputedly one of the best restaurants in Marrakech....and they told me it was closed......a bit odd for a restaurant in Morocco to close in the holiday season....especially one that only caters to tourists......so I called the restaurant myself....very much not closed!...(and the most fantastic restaurant if you are looking for a decent place to eat ....€145 for a family of four...3 courses plus wine). We also asked the concierge how much we should pay a taxi to take us to Yves St Laurent's garden (one of the main attractions in Marrakech) and he said he didn't know!!!...handy!...although you can be sure the driver will charge you €5.00 more than the concierge says anyway.
Just when I thought that maybe the hotel wasn't that bad....I saw my bill and they had charged me for the sachet of instant coffee which they left by the coffee making facility in the room. If nothing else makes you not stay here....this gives you an idea of what the place is like!
The internet was good.......but I just left actually feeling sorry for anyone who had booked a week there all-inclusive.......for us it was a lucky escape!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace? Share your experiences!