“Service on the level of a five star resort” 5 of 5 stars

Riad La Porte Rouge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   48 Derb Jamaa | Bab Hmar, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #36 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Hamburg, Germany
“Service on the level of a five star resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed in the Riad La Porte Rouge for several days and enjoyed every moment of it.

The owner Karen and her team are always around to care for their guests. They kindly help you by organizing trips, reserving tables at restaurants, making phone calls and answering all possible questions you may have.

The heart of the building is the courtyard which is beautiful and comfortable. While most of the rooms are located on the first floor, the rooftop offers some nice tables to sit as well as a jacuzzi.

The first evening we also had dinner in the riad and did not regret this decision. The Tajine we had was delicious and had the quality one can expect from a good restaurant. The price was fair, too, like the prices for service and the rooms. The breakfast was great with tasty coffee and fresh orange juice. There is also yoghurt, bread, the traditional local pancake and different kinds of jam.

The rooms are very clean and the colorful interior design fits the picture one would expect from the tales of Scheherazade.

We would kindly recommend the Riad La Porte Rouge to everyone who wants a relaxing and calm base to discover the beautiful town of Marrakech.

Room Tip: The small room downstairs has the best wifi.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
laporterouge, Manager at Riad La Porte Rouge, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you very very much and we are really happy to see that you enjoyed your stay in the Riad.

Hope receive you for your next vacations in Marrakech.

Greeting from all the staff

364 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My friend and I have just come back from four wonderful days in Marrakech. After reading excellent review after excellent review I was looking forward to our stay at La Porte Rouge, and we were not disappointed. Firstly, all the staff at La Porte Rouge will do anything to make your stay more comfortable. We were greeted by the charming Kassim who was always polite and ready to help us. Karen, the manager, is also wonderful and gave us some great advice about hammams and restaurants. Karen even suggested one of her staff taking us to the local hammam for a traditional experience - amazing service! In the end we did choose the more touristy Les Bains de Marrakech, but still, lovely to have the offer. Said the night porter was extremely polite and let's not forget the Riad's darling cat Max! Going back to food, when at La Porte Rouge, you MUST sample the delights of the house chef. We ordered a three course meal for 15 euros and it was superb. The beef tagine was one of the best dishes we ate in Marrakech.

The Riad itself is exquisitely decorated, with traditional Marrakshi furnishings and a large central courtyard area. We particularly liked the roof terrace to chill out on after long days exploring the souks in the north of town. Our room was beautifully furnished, we couldn't ask for anything more. As other reviewers have said, the riad is located in the south of the city, but once we knew the walk we could easily do it in 10-15 minutes. Taxis are very cheap too - never more than about £5. I can't recommend this Riad enough, if you want a few days exploring the delights of Marrakech, head straight here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
laporterouge, Propriétaire at Riad La Porte Rouge, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to put your opinion and I'm really glad you loved the Riad and that you keep good memories of your stay with us.
Thanks again.
Flitwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

This January 2013, our family of 4 including 2 teenager visited Marrakech for the first time. We are so glad we stayed at Riad la Porte Rouge and really enjoyed our stay. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly and Karen was really helpful when I contacted her by email arranging transfers etc. Ali was very welcoming and the food was the best! Try their beef tagine and Royal cous cous. We ate at a couple of other places but there was no comparison. We had our breakfast each morning on the sunny terrace, and were presented with different home-made goods each time, which were all delicious. It was lovely to be just on the edge of the Medina and found our time in the riad very relaxing. We visited the new town too and La Mamounia where Winston Churchil stayed which was lovely and very posh (a little out of our price range!), but were glad we chose to stay at Riad la Porte Rouge and experience the "real" Marrakech. I would definately recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Both rooms we had were excellent, and quiet until call to prayer! loads of hot water and comfortabl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
laporterouge, Propriétaire at Riad La Porte Rouge, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Many thanks for taking your time to leave a so nice review . It is true that we all do our best for all our custumers.
Hope we receive you again soon.
Caloundra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I absolutely do not agree with lamstro2, the customer service was excellent. Karen (the manager) went beyond her job description and beyond our expectations to make sure all our needs were met, she was such a wonderful lady. We stayed for 2 nights in this beautiful Riad and after (because they we full), she called many places to find us a comparable Riad, which she did (although nothing compares to this place) and it was just across the road, she even helped us with booking excusions even though we weren't staying in the Riad anymore! Mohammed and Ghislaine were the nicest people and because we were so interested in learning how to prepare a tangine and all cooking courses were fully booked elsewhere, they took us to the markets and showed us what ingredients you need. We then cooked everything together in the Riad...it was the most amazing experience. I think larmstro2 must have been really rude to them, because I cannot believe these people would be anything but kind and helpful, it felt like I stepped into the house of a caring family.....and I haven't even mentioned how good the food there is and how beautiful the rooms are....I have not had a better breakfast or dinner anywhere in Marrakesh and for only a fraction of the price compared to the rest of the city. We made the mistake of only booking for 2 nights, just in case it would be disappointing, so please do not make the same mistake, this is the best Riad you'll ever find. The common areas are amazing, even the house cat Max, the staff cooks at any time of the day. One day when we came back at 10:30pm from a long journey the cook was still there and happy to cook us a most delicious meal, go for the pastille...it takes a while to prepare, but ow my god!! It was worth waiting for..waiting while relaxing in the beautiful spa on top of the roof!! So all I can say is: Book, book, book!!!

Room Tip: We had the room, that has rose peddles in the pictures, room has mainly reddish colours.
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I made the mistake of booking a room here for the end of December, through Orbitz. My reservation was confirmed, however, when I contacted the hotel to arrange for airport pickup, I was told that there were no more rooms. Under the terms of the agreement, the hotel is obligated to find me another room at a comparable hotel, however, Karen (the contact at Riad La Porte Rouge) informed me today that she knows of no other Riads, and that I should just try to book another place through Orbitz. She also informed me that I had added stress to her holiday by making her look for another hotel. I am so thoroughly disgusted with the lack of customer service--this, after all, was not my error--and while I am sure this is a lovely place to stay, providing all goes well, I just wanted to warn other travelers lest they end up as I did, stuck with no place to stay two days before I am scheduled to arrive in Marrakech. It would have been nice if Karen or someone else had tried to help, rather than just telling me, "Too bad, hope you find someplace else to stay," especially since they are legally obligated to do so.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
laporterouge, Manager at Riad La Porte Rouge, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Let's put things in their proper place. The day the reservation was made, Orbitz was immediately notified of my unavailability. They asked me to find another Riad, what I did but it does not suit you.
What I had to do was done.
It is you who have told me that I had stressed for Christmas and I told you that you have done the same.
I have a conscience professional, I work hard, madame, and only for the welfare and happiness of my clients.

I hope you are pleased to write this review .....
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Staying at the La Porte Rouge made our holiday to Marrakech even more amazing.
A quite oasis after a day in the busy medina. Wonderful staff. Took very good care of us.
Wonderful rooms (all individually decorated). Sunny terrace with jaccuzi.

10-15 minute walk into the middle of the medina and the souks. Easy to find.
Will stay here again the next time I visit Marrakech.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Staying at the Riad Porte Rouge was the best art of our trip to Morrocco. It felt like a home from in a city that for us needed a nice escape but not a change in culture from the city we were in. The staff were very welcomming and helpfull. In short we loved it.

We ate in several places (including some expensive ones) on our trip and the food here rivalled anything else we ate anywhere. Definately worth eating in at least once. The entrance to the Riad Porte Rouge is down a very low ally which on first impression can be a little un-nerving when you don't know exactly where your going but is perfectly safe once you know its the right place. We recommend arranging with the hotel to be collected at taken straight there.

The Riad is sensible walking distance to the Souks although we prefered the slightly longer walk via the palace gardens.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad La Porte Rouge? Share your experiences!