“Absolutely Perfect!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
Caloundra, Australia
“Absolutely Perfect!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I absolutely do not agree with lamstro2, the customer service was excellent. Karen (the manager) went beyond her job description and beyond our expectations to make sure all our needs were met, she was such a wonderful lady. We stayed for 2 nights in this beautiful Riad and after (because they we full), she called many places to find us a comparable Riad, which she did (although nothing compares to this place) and it was just across the road, she even helped us with booking excusions even though we weren't staying in the Riad anymore! Mohammed and Ghislaine were the nicest people and because we were so interested in learning how to prepare a tangine and all cooking courses were fully booked elsewhere, they took us to the markets and showed us what ingredients you need. We then cooked everything together in the Riad...it was the most amazing experience. I think larmstro2 must have been really rude to them, because I cannot believe these people would be anything but kind and helpful, it felt like I stepped into the house of a caring family.....and I haven't even mentioned how good the food there is and how beautiful the rooms are....I have not had a better breakfast or dinner anywhere in Marrakesh and for only a fraction of the price compared to the rest of the city. We made the mistake of only booking for 2 nights, just in case it would be disappointing, so please do not make the same mistake, this is the best Riad you'll ever find. The common areas are amazing, even the house cat Max, the staff cooks at any time of the day. One day when we came back at 10:30pm from a long journey the cook was still there and happy to cook us a most delicious meal, go for the pastille...it takes a while to prepare, but ow my god!! It was worth waiting for..waiting while relaxing in the beautiful spa on top of the roof!! So all I can say is: Book, book, book!!!

Room Tip: We had the room, that has rose peddles in the pictures, room has mainly reddish colours.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I made the mistake of booking a room here for the end of December, through Orbitz. My reservation was confirmed, however, when I contacted the hotel to arrange for airport pickup, I was told that there were no more rooms. Under the terms of the agreement, the hotel is obligated to find me another room at a comparable hotel, however, Karen (the contact at Riad La Porte Rouge) informed me today that she knows of no other Riads, and that I should just try to book another place through Orbitz. She also informed me that I had added stress to her holiday by making her look for another hotel. I am so thoroughly disgusted with the lack of customer service--this, after all, was not my error--and while I am sure this is a lovely place to stay, providing all goes well, I just wanted to warn other travelers lest they end up as I did, stuck with no place to stay two days before I am scheduled to arrive in Marrakech. It would have been nice if Karen or someone else had tried to help, rather than just telling me, "Too bad, hope you find someplace else to stay," especially since they are legally obligated to do so.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
laporterouge, Manager at Riad La Porte Rouge, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Let's put things in their proper place. The day the reservation was made, Orbitz was immediately notified of my unavailability. They asked me to find another Riad, what I did but it does not suit you.
What I had to do was done.
It is you who have told me that I had stressed for Christmas and I told you that you have done the same.
I have a conscience professional, I work hard, madame, and only for the welfare and happiness of my clients.

I hope you are pleased to write this review .....
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Staying at the La Porte Rouge made our holiday to Marrakech even more amazing.
A quite oasis after a day in the busy medina. Wonderful staff. Took very good care of us.
Wonderful rooms (all individually decorated). Sunny terrace with jaccuzi.

10-15 minute walk into the middle of the medina and the souks. Easy to find.
Will stay here again the next time I visit Marrakech.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Staying at the Riad Porte Rouge was the best art of our trip to Morrocco. It felt like a home from in a city that for us needed a nice escape but not a change in culture from the city we were in. The staff were very welcomming and helpfull. In short we loved it.

We ate in several places (including some expensive ones) on our trip and the food here rivalled anything else we ate anywhere. Definately worth eating in at least once. The entrance to the Riad Porte Rouge is down a very low ally which on first impression can be a little un-nerving when you don't know exactly where your going but is perfectly safe once you know its the right place. We recommend arranging with the hotel to be collected at taken straight there.

The Riad is sensible walking distance to the Souks although we prefered the slightly longer walk via the palace gardens.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I could not be happier with this property, everything was exquisite! We were made welcome, everything was comfortable and clean, and the price was fantastic. Only about a 15 minute walk to the souk. The food here was fantastic. Breakfast was eaten, and enjoyed, each morning. Dinner with couscous was divine and a culinary highlight.

Room Tip: We stayed on the main floor, don't be worried about privacy - you will have it!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We loved our stay at this wonderful Riad. From the moment you arrive you feel relaxed and calm. The service was fantastic and the rooms were cozy and comfortable. The owner was able to help us arrange all our tour and transport needs making things even easier. The food was amazing (reserve the royal cuscous). You are about a 15 minute walk to the main square, but it is an experience to do it. Marrakech is wild, busy and loud, but you would never know staying here.

• Stayed October 2012
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This riad was the most beautiful place on earth. It was a haven we could retreat to when the busy streets of Marrakesh became too much. The staff were universally welcoming, very helpful and friendly. Some of the best food we had while in Marrakesh was dinner at the riad and hands down the best mint tea. We liked it so much we plan on coming back next year.

Room Tip: We stayed in Argana on the first floor which was beautifully decorated and spacious.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Riad La Porte Rouge? Share your experiences!