“Beautiful accommodation in a lush setting” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #305 of 460 hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful accommodation in a lush setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a 4 night stay at Riad Dar Ilham which I can only describe as perfect. We decided quite last minute to go on the trip, and as it was not peak season, were able to book a suite in the Riad at very affordable rates. Upon arrival, we were greeted by Mohammad in reception, who was very charming and helpful...in fact, all the staff we encountered at Dar Ilham were wonderfully polite and friendly. On our first day, we decided to go and explore the city so booked a driver through reception. En route to the city, we discovered that the driver (also Mohammad) was available as tour guide so we decided to book him for a few hours.

Mohammad the driver/tour guide ended up being so amazing and interesting that we booked him every day for three days! We explored the medina and kasbah the first day, day two we went on an excursion to Ourika valley in the Atlas Mountains, and on the third day we went to the industrial quarter and back to the medina. My husband and I grew very fond of Mohammad and were genuinely sad to say goodbye to him. He's a very learned man who speaks excellent English and taught us so much about the rich Moroccan culture. I really cannot recommend him enough!!

Overall, we had a really fantastic experience staying at Dar Ilham. We both loved the fact that it was outside the chaos of the city, our suite was beautiful with a view of the swimming pool and palm trees, and the food (especially dinner) was exceptional. We had the chicken tagine twice and the couscous was out of this world. All the food was fresh and served in large, healthy servings.

Thank you so much to all the staff at Dar Ilham - we will definitely be returning!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

733 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

My family and I stayed 3 nights at Riad Kasbah Dar Ilham during a recent visit to Marrakech. This hotel really exceeded expectations, the rooms were in the same time very, traditional,modern and spacious. The service of the hotel staff was excellent- fantastic pool area with a heated swimming pool and a Jacuzzi It is true that the first day the jacuzzi was not working which is for me not a big issue. However I was surprised about how fast it get repaired. the bar is lovely for cocktails and the dinner was one of the best Moroccan meals I've ever eaten. The lunch was also excellent - I cannot recommend this hotel enough.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I have just returned from staying at Dar Ilham with my wife. The trip was a surprise gift for her 30th birthday. She had been to Marrakech last year and loved it, although she stayed in central Marrakech. This time I wanted somewhere with a pool that wasn't too busy, and after reading all the different reviews decided on Dar Ilham. Most of the places in Marrakech itself had no pool or looked far too busy, so this looked perfect.
When arrived we were the only couple there, only to joined by another couple the following day. After emailing the hotel our flight details the driver was waiting for us on our arrival, which was very comforting, so we didn't have to negotiate with taxi drivers.
On arrival we greeted warmly and asked what time we would like dinner. The food was great, we ate their 3 evenings, and had lunch salads most afternoons. Although this wasn't included it was very reasonable for the quantity and quality. The evening meals were always traditional Moroccan. Breakfast was included and was extremely filling.
The whole team at the Dar Ilham were so friendly and helpful. Whilst we were there we went on one of the day trips, used the spa treatments and went into Marrakech several times. On one occasion the driver took us around several monuments for the day and waited for us. When we wanted to check out a couple of the bars in town they were happy to phone in advance for us. The main city center was around 20 minutes away which was not an issue, as it was nice to retreat to the calmness of the Kasbah after all the hustle and bustle of the city centre. I can't think of a bad word to say, considering it was towards the end of Ramadan the whole team made it the perfect get away.

Can't wait to return, with some friends of family!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Boras, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We arrived at Kasbah Dar Ilham after spending 4 amazing days/nights, at a wonderful little Riad in the Medina. The reason why we booked this place, was so that our daughters (7 and 9 years old) would be able to swim and have fun in the swimmingpool. And they did! The pool is beautiful and perfect in every way.
The Hotel is nice and the rooms are ok, but a bit dark. I could not put our clothes in the closet, because there was no light in that part of the room...The closet was pitch black.
The balcony was great, overlooking the pool.
I would say that when we were at the hotel, all the staff were great and the food was very good.
But for us, I think the "not-so-good" part, was the location (20-30 minutes from the medina)...
We needed to be where the action was...
However, I would still recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a relaxing place, outside of Marrakesh! We didn't know until we were there, that we would have wanted to stay longer in the medina instead...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed at the Kasbah as a special weekend treat for my partner and I, and we were amazed!! We were looking for a romantic getaway, close enough to Marrakech but far enough so we could relax. The Kasbah did not disappoint on any of these fronts and the service we received from start to finish was nothing short of spectacular!

We stayed in the Agadir suite and wished for nothing while we were there. Our stay was colourful and completely luxurious.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a real Moroccan retreat. I'll be visiting again soon!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Enjoyed a week long stay at the Kasbah, lots of highlights and also some low lights, however all said and done I would be happy (look forward) to return. The staff make this place, special mention to Malika who will take care of you from b'fast through to dinner and Imane, Imane is the person you go to when you have an issue to be resolved! The Kasbah is like an authentic Dar Al Masayaf, for those who have stayed at that hotel in Dubai.

This was our first family trip to Morocco, looking for more from the holiday, having over the last few (many) years ending up in Dubai. Marrakech can be a sensory overload, the kasbah offers a genuine retreat from that, at least until you are not ready to get back to exploring the city

Key things to highlight about our stay as far as the hotel is concerned

It is located a 20 minute drive from the centre of Marrakech, however the shuttle service which the Kasbah provides means that this was not an issue. The shuttle is also available to request for a small charge and that worked very well for our trip.

The food is great; breakfast is nice and you will be well taken care of esp if you are happy with pancakes, spreads, moroccan breads, eggs. Dinner is abs brilliant, fantastic food and setting. There is a menu of sorts which is available to guide you, but as has been mentioned in other reviews, you need to tell the hotel in the morning what you would like to have that evening. Although even here the staff will accomodate late requests as we had a change of plan one day and only put in our request at 5pm with no issues. Even if you are not staying at the Kasbah, I would recommend booking / going there for dinner if they are able to accomodate.

Downside compared to 'chain' hotels is that there is no out of hours availability, so do not expect to be able to pick up the phone at midnight for room service. As you are not ordering off a menu do not be embarrassed to ask the cost in advance (including taxes!!) for what you are ordering, removes any room for mis-understanding later on.

I had booked the hotel on a b&b basis, understanding that it included the children. the hotel had charged extra for the children, this was rectified very quickly by them once I had confirmed the situation with my booking agent (special mention to travelrepublic who dealt with this).

The hotel will organise trips and treatments etc for you - our experience with the first was ok, not so with the latter. The hotel were more then happy to remedy the situation.

The swimming pool is great, there are two available and for the most part the kids had the large one to themselves. Given the size of the Riad, busy is normally another family at poolside - at times it will feel like you have exclusive run of the place!

The rooms were nicely presented and clean, not plush but perfectly comfortable for a family.

All in all a nice place, great food and run by a group of people who will take good care of you during your stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
West MIdlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

There comes a time when you decide that you deserve this!

Like many of the other reviewers, I found this small hotel on Trip Advisor and I read every single review, then I looked at their website and fell in love with the place. Unfortunately when this happens it is all too easy to be disapointed once you arrive, however the Kasbah actually exceeded my expectations which were already set very, very high.

If you are a person who uses a hotel as a base and enjoys going out, then this is not the place for you. The Kasbah is a place to stay in, relax and enjoy it. The luxurious bedrooms ( we had the Agadir suite ) are as beautiful as the photographs; the comfort and attention to details in the furnishings is exquisite; the deeply romantic oversized bed, the inlaid wood doors, the decedent heavy fabrics and the stained glass in every window makes the room a tranquil retreat where staying in your room is an untimate pleasure. The room also offers every pratical comfort, with plenty of power points, free wi-fi, a large TV ( only a news channel for the British though - all other channels appeared to be mostly French ) and a well appointed bathroom with both bath and large walk in shower, with large towels and bathrobes ( unfortunately none of which are very soft ) with some lovely Moroccan features added. when you do eventually venture out of the santuary of your room, the rest of the Kasbah is equally beautiful; the stunning dark wood staircase leads you down into the simple but very comfortable indoor restaurant, and the guests lounge filled with large leather sofas and chairs, oversized cushions and traditional Moroccan tables and decor. All of the hotel is quite dark due to the teracotta and brown walls and dark wood furnishings; this was only a problem in the bedroom where I found it quite difficult to read a book in the evening due to the dim bedroom lighting. The pool and sunbed terrace is very welcoming, and the hot tub is good fun and a nice way to relax. Each sunbed comes with a towel and a large straw sun hat, which your appreciate on a very hot day. The bedouin tent next to the pool is where they serve meals if the weather is fine; this is an exceptionally enjoyable experience, especially for an evening meal as the garden and pool is beautifully lit at night. The evening meals were wonderful; every night we had Tagine cooking and it tasted wonderful. Breakfast is not so elaborate; it consists of flat bread and (cold) pancakes with various jams, honey or cream cheese. I didn't get along with this very well, but having read the reviews by previous guests, I asked them if I could have something different, and after telling them what I would like, I received a really nice bowl of mixed fruit and and omelette every morning. The staff at this hotel are wonderful and well mannered, and if you don't speak French their English is certainly good enough, but you do need to let them know what you would like, so they can help you and make your stay even more perfect, if this is possible!

In previous reviews it has been commented that this hotel is expensive; as with all things in life you tend to get exactly what you pay for, and this level of luxury and romance will never be cheap. It is worth commenting on the add-on costs that come with this hotel; dinner for 2 in the hotel with an exceptionally good bottle of wine cost us £55.00 a night, the return taxi into Marakkesh costs £15 during the day, and £23 in the evening and takes about 30 minutes. The salad lunches they offer taste wonderful, and they cost £7 each ( we found one of these salads was more than enough between two of us ) and the cans of pop from the mini-bar were £1.50. If you would like to eat in Marakkesh the staff will book you a table at your restaurant of choice and organise your taxi; there is never any pressure to stay and dine in the hotel, however after going our for an Indian meal one evening ( £85.00 ) we wished we had stayed in the hotel.

In my opinion this hotel is perfect for a shorter honeymoon or romatic break. It doesn't offer families with children any entertainment, although there were a number of families staying while we were there. You feel exceptionally safe in this hotel, and it has no dillusions of grandure and manages to retain a relaxed atmosphere, whilst maintaining an extremely high standard of service and accommodation.

My single and only complaint would be that they stop playing the loud thumpy music during the day round the pool. They have quite obviously gone to extreme lengths to offer a oasis sanctuary of peace and tranquility, so I though this was a very strange thing to do. These days everyone has the technology and means to listen to anything they want to, without disturbing any other guests, so please stop the loud music during the day - you are far too good for this! However, by comparison, the backgound music in the restaurant during the evening meals was very pleasant.

I really, really loved this hotel and was genuinely sad to leave. I am not a person who re-visits hotels as I love to travel and see new places; but if I was, I would re-visit this one!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Kasbah Dar Ilham? Share your experiences!