“Luxurious and relaxing!!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #295 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
“Luxurious and relaxing!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed at the Kasbah as a special weekend treat for my partner and I, and we were amazed!! We were looking for a romantic getaway, close enough to Marrakech but far enough so we could relax. The Kasbah did not disappoint on any of these fronts and the service we received from start to finish was nothing short of spectacular!

We stayed in the Agadir suite and wished for nothing while we were there. Our stay was colourful and completely luxurious.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a real Moroccan retreat. I'll be visiting again soon!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

745 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Enjoyed a week long stay at the Kasbah, lots of highlights and also some low lights, however all said and done I would be happy (look forward) to return. The staff make this place, special mention to Malika who will take care of you from b'fast through to dinner and Imane, Imane is the person you go to when you have an issue to be resolved! The Kasbah is like an authentic Dar Al Masayaf, for those who have stayed at that hotel in Dubai.

This was our first family trip to Morocco, looking for more from the holiday, having over the last few (many) years ending up in Dubai. Marrakech can be a sensory overload, the kasbah offers a genuine retreat from that, at least until you are not ready to get back to exploring the city

Key things to highlight about our stay as far as the hotel is concerned

It is located a 20 minute drive from the centre of Marrakech, however the shuttle service which the Kasbah provides means that this was not an issue. The shuttle is also available to request for a small charge and that worked very well for our trip.

The food is great; breakfast is nice and you will be well taken care of esp if you are happy with pancakes, spreads, moroccan breads, eggs. Dinner is abs brilliant, fantastic food and setting. There is a menu of sorts which is available to guide you, but as has been mentioned in other reviews, you need to tell the hotel in the morning what you would like to have that evening. Although even here the staff will accomodate late requests as we had a change of plan one day and only put in our request at 5pm with no issues. Even if you are not staying at the Kasbah, I would recommend booking / going there for dinner if they are able to accomodate.

Downside compared to 'chain' hotels is that there is no out of hours availability, so do not expect to be able to pick up the phone at midnight for room service. As you are not ordering off a menu do not be embarrassed to ask the cost in advance (including taxes!!) for what you are ordering, removes any room for mis-understanding later on.

I had booked the hotel on a b&b basis, understanding that it included the children. the hotel had charged extra for the children, this was rectified very quickly by them once I had confirmed the situation with my booking agent (special mention to travelrepublic who dealt with this).

The hotel will organise trips and treatments etc for you - our experience with the first was ok, not so with the latter. The hotel were more then happy to remedy the situation.

The swimming pool is great, there are two available and for the most part the kids had the large one to themselves. Given the size of the Riad, busy is normally another family at poolside - at times it will feel like you have exclusive run of the place!

The rooms were nicely presented and clean, not plush but perfectly comfortable for a family.

All in all a nice place, great food and run by a group of people who will take good care of you during your stay.

West MIdlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

There comes a time when you decide that you deserve this!

Like many of the other reviewers, I found this small hotel on Trip Advisor and I read every single review, then I looked at their website and fell in love with the place. Unfortunately when this happens it is all too easy to be disapointed once you arrive, however the Kasbah actually exceeded my expectations which were already set very, very high.

If you are a person who uses a hotel as a base and enjoys going out, then this is not the place for you. The Kasbah is a place to stay in, relax and enjoy it. The luxurious bedrooms ( we had the Agadir suite ) are as beautiful as the photographs; the comfort and attention to details in the furnishings is exquisite; the deeply romantic oversized bed, the inlaid wood doors, the decedent heavy fabrics and the stained glass in every window makes the room a tranquil retreat where staying in your room is an untimate pleasure. The room also offers every pratical comfort, with plenty of power points, free wi-fi, a large TV ( only a news channel for the British though - all other channels appeared to be mostly French ) and a well appointed bathroom with both bath and large walk in shower, with large towels and bathrobes ( unfortunately none of which are very soft ) with some lovely Moroccan features added. when you do eventually venture out of the santuary of your room, the rest of the Kasbah is equally beautiful; the stunning dark wood staircase leads you down into the simple but very comfortable indoor restaurant, and the guests lounge filled with large leather sofas and chairs, oversized cushions and traditional Moroccan tables and decor. All of the hotel is quite dark due to the teracotta and brown walls and dark wood furnishings; this was only a problem in the bedroom where I found it quite difficult to read a book in the evening due to the dim bedroom lighting. The pool and sunbed terrace is very welcoming, and the hot tub is good fun and a nice way to relax. Each sunbed comes with a towel and a large straw sun hat, which your appreciate on a very hot day. The bedouin tent next to the pool is where they serve meals if the weather is fine; this is an exceptionally enjoyable experience, especially for an evening meal as the garden and pool is beautifully lit at night. The evening meals were wonderful; every night we had Tagine cooking and it tasted wonderful. Breakfast is not so elaborate; it consists of flat bread and (cold) pancakes with various jams, honey or cream cheese. I didn't get along with this very well, but having read the reviews by previous guests, I asked them if I could have something different, and after telling them what I would like, I received a really nice bowl of mixed fruit and and omelette every morning. The staff at this hotel are wonderful and well mannered, and if you don't speak French their English is certainly good enough, but you do need to let them know what you would like, so they can help you and make your stay even more perfect, if this is possible!

In previous reviews it has been commented that this hotel is expensive; as with all things in life you tend to get exactly what you pay for, and this level of luxury and romance will never be cheap. It is worth commenting on the add-on costs that come with this hotel; dinner for 2 in the hotel with an exceptionally good bottle of wine cost us £55.00 a night, the return taxi into Marakkesh costs £15 during the day, and £23 in the evening and takes about 30 minutes. The salad lunches they offer taste wonderful, and they cost £7 each ( we found one of these salads was more than enough between two of us ) and the cans of pop from the mini-bar were £1.50. If you would like to eat in Marakkesh the staff will book you a table at your restaurant of choice and organise your taxi; there is never any pressure to stay and dine in the hotel, however after going our for an Indian meal one evening ( £85.00 ) we wished we had stayed in the hotel.

In my opinion this hotel is perfect for a shorter honeymoon or romatic break. It doesn't offer families with children any entertainment, although there were a number of families staying while we were there. You feel exceptionally safe in this hotel, and it has no dillusions of grandure and manages to retain a relaxed atmosphere, whilst maintaining an extremely high standard of service and accommodation.

My single and only complaint would be that they stop playing the loud thumpy music during the day round the pool. They have quite obviously gone to extreme lengths to offer a oasis sanctuary of peace and tranquility, so I though this was a very strange thing to do. These days everyone has the technology and means to listen to anything they want to, without disturbing any other guests, so please stop the loud music during the day - you are far too good for this! However, by comparison, the backgound music in the restaurant during the evening meals was very pleasant.

I really, really loved this hotel and was genuinely sad to leave. I am not a person who re-visits hotels as I love to travel and see new places; but if I was, I would re-visit this one!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We travelled as a family with three teenagers to stay at Dar Ilham as it had been recommended by some friends. We had a lovely time, the staff were extremely helpful, nothing was too much trouble to organise. A great driver, and they recommended an extremely charming guide. The food was delicous and we all had a very relaxing few days. I would definitely go back.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

3rd year running and I have no doubt that 2014 will be the 4th! Dar Ilham can not be beaten. This year we not only took my parents again but also my husbands. To say my Father in Law is fussy is a huge understatement and we were worried he would not enjoy as much as we did....how wrong we could be! not only did he love every minute of Marrakech, he loved Dar Ilham as much as we did.

My parents have travelled the world and my Dad said to me today (7th April) as we arrived home, that nowhere have they ever been treated as wonderfully as at Dar Ilham. The staff are truly amazing and Aziz is made for the job...Ladies, not only is he completely gorgeous but he has the personality to go with it and a fantastic sense of humour (and unfortunately, a girlfriend as beautiful as him !!)....he has definitely found his true vocation in life and they would be mad to EVER let him leave!

I cannot imagine anyone saying anything negative about the riad, the staff, nor the service, as everything is perfect.

We were a party of 8 - 6 adults, our son who is 12 and his friend who is 15.

Breakfast is a feast of home made pancakes, breads and cakes as well as yoghurts and cereal and you can have eggs cooked any way you want if you still have the room! Freshly squeezed orange juice, coffee and a variety of teas ! as well as hot milk to make hot chocolate if the mood takes you.

Nothing is too much of a problem - ever!

Fabulous - see you next year guys.

Alll our love

The Ebbrells

Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I spent four nights and five days in Kasbah dar Ilham and it was lovely; beautiful setting, gorgeous swimming pool and relaxing vibe. I deliberately chose a riad outside the centre of Marrakech as i wanted some down-time to chill out from a busy job - this place was perfect.

The first three nights i spent in the twin tangers room, which i had managed to book at a last-minute discount rate of £50 a night. This was excellent value, and the room was clean, with a nice bathroom, powerful shower and well-stocked mini-bar. The bed was extremely comfortable with the softest sheets i've ever felt. I had such a good nights sleep on my first night that i felt the most relaxed i had all year, and woke up slowly the following morning to the happy chattering of birds outside the window.

Over the next few days i was impressed by the cleanliness (and temperature) of the large pool, and by the provision of straw sun hats as well as clean towels on each sun lounger! Breakfast was not particularly imaginative, but perfectly OK, with delicious freshly squeezed orange juice. I ate supper in the Kasbah every night and the food was great. I was asked daily what i fancied eating that evening and every meal was delicious, with big servings.

The staff were friendly, and chatty when engaged in conversation, but never over-bearing or interfering. French and english were spoken fluently by most of the staff.

The only negative point i have to make about the Kasbah is the price of the rooms (when not available at discount rates). For my last night I moved to the junior suite, for which i paid the full price of £175. This room was larger than the twin, with an enormous double bed, and the added benefit of a south facing balcony and bath as well as shower. However, for that price I would expect everything to be perfect, and there were a few small flaws, such as an incomplete mini-bar, with a half-drunk bottle of water, and a tv with poor reception that made it unwatchable. Whilst these things werent really a problem, as drinks were available from the staff, and i hadnt come to marrakech to watch tv, i did feel that the price demanded slightly better. i dont think the junior suite offered value for money, and whilst i appreciate it would be more usual for a couple to stay in that room, and there is also a sofa-bed to allow it to become a family room, it certainly wasnt big enough for more than two people to stay there comfortably.

All in all however i thought this was a lovely riad and i really enjoyed my stay. I would certainly go back there, and will be keeping an eye out for any more last-minute deals that ensure good value for money.

Room Tip: All the rooms overlook the pool, but i think only the twin tangers room doesnt have a balcony. This...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I might start by saying that this is the first time that I have ever written a review in respect of a holiday, however I felt compelled to express just how amazing our stay was with Dar Ilham.

We booked 6 nights in March after having read the reviews on Trip Advisor. We were not disappointed. The hotel driver, Hamed, was waiting in arrivals to take us directly to Dar Ilham. Upon arrival we were seated by the pool and given a welcome drink whilst we were checked in. Despite arriving well before mid-day we were allowed into our room as soon as we were checked in. We stayed in the Kasbah which has about 11 rooms. Next door is the Riad which has about 4 rooms. There were 2 beautiful pools and a hot tub. There are more than enough sun beds around the pools to accommodate all guests at once if necessary, although we were often the only 2 people using them!

The staff were lovely and could not do enough to make our stay as special as possible. After 2 nights we were asked whether we would like to move to a suite as they had one that was not being used. There was no need for them to do this, as we were clearly impressed with the room that we were already using. Just another example of how the staff go out of their way to improve your visit.

We ate in the restaurant every evening as the food was amazing. At 25 euros per person it is not cheap, but we felt worth it. The breakfast was delicious and more than enough to keep us going until the evening. We had lunch by the pool on our last day before our flight, and unsurprisingly we were very impressed.

We booked two excursions through Dar Ilham during our visit. One was a half day trip around Marrakech with a guide. As this was our first time in Marrakech we wanted to make sure we saw all the highlights. Although it's clearly not necessary to have the guide, we felt it was definitely worth the extra 30 euros. Our guide, Jamal, was extremely knowledgable and took his time to explain the history and culture of Marrakech. We also found that having a guide meant that we were not "harassed" by locals trying to sell things, which quite a lot of people seem to highlight as one of the annoyances of Marrakech. Our second excursion was the day trip into the Atlas Mountains. Hamed was excellent and acted as driver/guide for the day. The scenery is simply stunning and well worth seeing.

Overall, a perfect stay. We really could not fault the facilities or service we experienced. A big thank you to all of the staff for a wonderful week. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Kasbah Dar Ilham? Share your experiences!