“Fabulous oasis” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #298 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Reigate, United Kingdom
“Fabulous oasis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

My husband and I came to the Kasbah to celebrate finishing my degree so I wanted somewhere to wind down. The Kasbah was the perfect choice for us, very relaxing environment, charming and friendly staff with the right combination of attentiveness and respect for your privacy. The rooms are beautiful, we stayed in the Zagora suite and it was simply stunning. Whilst some may not like the fact that it is a 20 min cab ride into the medina, for us this was ideal as the hustle and bustle of Marrakech was a tad overwhelming so being able to return to the tranquility of the Kasbah was fantastic. We enjoyed relaxing by the pool and the salad and brochette lunches accompanied by some surprisingly good Moroccan wine were divine. On our first night we returned to our room to find it lit by candles and scattered with rose petals. There are some areas that could do with a little updating but on balance, I cannot recommend this place highly enough!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

747 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayedhere for 5 nights end of June. The hotel is very nice; it's clean, spacious room, beautiful swimminpool and garden area, and a nice relaxing atmosphere. The staff is very helpful and kind. We really appreciated being able to check in early, and also t keep our room all day the day when we checked out. This rarely happens in any hotel, or at least they will ask you to pay for another night. needles to say, this was for free here. The only thing we liked less was the food. We found it to be quite expensive for what it was. You did not have a choice but only one dish was available per day, and eating both lunch and dinner in the hotel became a bit boring as the food was almost identical. A wider choice would have been appreciated, and prices should really go down a bit to reflect the quality. We ate out in a few very nice restaurants in the neighbourhodd of Hivernage, at the pirces were very simialr to the prices att he hotel - but the diference in choice and quality was huge. All in all, I would still warmly recommend this hotel. It is a veery nice place to return to after a couple of hours in the crazy mess which Marrakech is!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Merseyside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

As always, I chose the Riad Dar Ilham after reading other user’s comments made on Trip Advisor, I was not disappointed. The Riad was quick to respond to my e-mail regarding airport pick up which was a great relief, our taxi driver Hamid was welcoming and had a good sense of humour. We arrived late but they organised a meal for us (I would suggest the salad only if you arrive late, the portions are very big).

They had also responded to my request of a room on the first floor in the Riad, which was a little small but stunning and full of charm. We found the fact the rooms safe was not attached to the wall and the Riad rooms didn't have locks just beautiful brass sliding locks a little disconcerting, however we realised it was us bringing our Western anxieties on holiday with us and our belongings remained safe, you can ask the receptionists to leave any money in their safe should you so wish.

The room had one of the biggest beds I have ever seen and I’ve stayed in the states. The shower room was fab although the shower was a little unpredictable but it was part of its charm. You will get to know your partner very well in the room, with quaint little wooden doors to the toilet, lol. A tip would be if you don't want little birds in your room close the shower room window, leave it open if you do, they do fly out again.

For the majority of the time we had the Riad to ourselves including the pool, however you can use the other pool attached to the Kasbah accommodation.

We decided to use the taxi service a lot (didn't use the free bus shuttle, too early) we booked a half day tour, which can be flexible if you wish to look at other sites on the itinerary (be wary of buying too many spices) This was a wise option until we got our bearings and could venture in on our own.

Just arrange things the night before and if you book things a couple of days in advance just confirm the night before.

I would recommend going to the Ensemble Artesanal on Ave Mohammed by the town hall it was beautiful with little workshops and all the goods you could wish to buy at fixed prices.

I would suggest organising a trip on a Saturday, as there is a weekly food market with loud speakers with traders selling their stock all day so if a quiet day by the pool is what you want you wont get it on Saturdays. Venture over to the market it’s an eye opening experience and better than Tesco…!

There is a trip for a camel ride, I would wait until you go on camels in a more authentic environment as this felt a bit like riding a camel in a car park with palm tree’s.

In relation to food, we quickly found out portions are huge. The food is expensive but tasty. We never ordered Lunch as it was too hot and in the evening we ordered the tagine for one, which was plenty for two. I normally don't eat meat when in Africa but I did here and no tummy problems at all.

Another suggestion if you staying in the Riad you can ask to use the seating there to eat your meal if you want a more romantic private setting.

I think there is enough documented in other travellers accounts about the food, however I would suggest that you get a taxi into town and the hotel can book a restaurant of your choice (buy a good guide) we also found out they will open early for you too.

It may be a tad more expensive but a little variety was good, and then you can wander into the city square then just call the hotel to arrange to be picked up which takes up to 30 mins.

We found a fabulous Sushi and Thai restaurant Katsura 1 Rue Oum Errabia (0524434358) and I know your thinking ‘sushi in Africa’ but trust me im a sushi snob and this was wonderful, we went twice.

The Dar Ilham staff especially Layla, Iman and Hamid the driver made our stay easier and were all very helpful, courteous yet not intrusive. I would highly recommend this Riad for lush peaceful relaxation and reflection yet an opportunity to dive into the wonderful hectic madness that is Marrakech centre is available too.

Ps look up at night ☺

Pps if you buy dh’s at the airport keep the receipt or they will not change them back (lesson learnt the hard way, or you can just sell them on e-bay) ☺

Room Tip: Choose a room on the first floor in the Riad, people use downstairs to sit. The Riad rooms dont hav...
liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel for my boyfriends 30th birthday. I never write reviews but I feel I need to express how lovely this hotel is. The room we stayed in was a suite and amazing inside down to the last detail when we come home from being out and all candles had been lit in our room it was such a lovely touch. The staff were always extremely friendly and helpful nothing was too much trouble. Ali the hotel manager would always go out of his way to ask if everything was ok with our stay you could tell he was truly interested. Thanks to everyone at the hotel including the lady who made all our nice freshly cooked evening meals would highly recommend this hotel
Claire and anthony

• Stayed April 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

This is the best stay i have ever experienced on holidays.I have travelled quite a lot in my life even for my job.I have stayed in small places as in 5 stars hotels. But Dar Ilham was something really special.Imane and her staff did everything they could to make me feel at home.I had to stay longer as I broke my foot during my trip and I xwas treated so kind and so well.The food was very good and the place so quiet.I ll come back soon

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Dar Ilham is a beautiful property about 12 km outside of Marrakech. Phenomenal staff, gorgeous grounds, comfortable rooms.They go to great lengths to accommodate you!

We stayed in the FEZ room overlooking the pool with a nice balcony. True peace and quiet after the filth and craziness of Medina.

Hotel has free pick up and drop off at the airport. Free shuttle leaves for Medina at 11 and 6. You can also get picked up anytime you like for $30 round trip.

IMPORTANT: Do not take city taxis back to the hotel under ANY circumstance, use ONLY hotel drivers. Taxi driver promised to take us to the hotel and dropped us off in the middle of the desert half way to the hotel because "he wasn't allowed to go further" AND expected a full payment for this ride! I think not! Hotel staff came and picked up us after a major fist fight with the taxi driver. If getting into a physical argument in the middle of a desert in 100+ degree heat isn't your type of adventure do yourself a favor and take hotel taxi. It's $30 round trip and well worth it!

2 things I think they should improve: internet has got to work everywhere, not just on the terrace. Breakfast needs to have protein such deli meats or any other cold cuts, not just carbs and sweets.

Aberdeen, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

My friend and I are just back from a week at this hotel and find it very difficult to fault it. It is an oasis of calm away from the crazy hustle and bustle of Marrakech centre. Let's get the downsides out of the way first, as they are minor and generally that's what people want to know when reading reviews. The hotel is located quite far from the city centre and you are reliant on the hotel transport (takes around 30 mins by taxi) - the journey isn't particularly pleasant in the heat of the day/early evening and if you travel outside of the free shuttle times of 11am and 6pm then the cost is fairly high at 330 dirhams (about £25 per round trip). However, we felt it was worth being this far out to have the beautiful pool area and the quiet and safe feeling to the hotel. Also, the firm who run the taxis and the hotel are very accommodating and reliable when you need picked up. The only other slight downside is the repetition of the food - the quality is high. But, we were there for 8 nights (a lot longer than other people in general) so we stayed in the hotel a lot more. And it was our choice to stay in as we loved the hotel so much. There is a set menu each day based on what is bought at market and they offer mainly traditional Morrocan food. I don't honestly think this would be an issue at all for anyone staying for 3-5 days and if it is, then just go out!
The positives of this hotel are pretty endless - very clean, polite and very helpful staff who will give you plenty of advice (special thanks to Leila, waitress and Ali, manager), beautiful pool area, gorgeous bedrooms of a generous size, high quality food and all in all a wonderful break from the city centre.
If you want to experience Marrakech, but want some rest and relaxation too, then look no further than this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms here are quiet, but I would recommend one with a balcony rather than one without. Double c...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Kasbah Dar Ilham? Share your experiences!