“Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Al Rimal

You added Riad Al Rimal to your Saves list
Riad Al Rimal
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   43 Derb Fahl Ezzafriti | Quartier Laksour, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #197 of 1,120 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Excellent place to stay in Marrakech. Friendly welcome and the host spent a lot og time with us detailing the local area. Great breakfast included and very traditional location. Would definately recommend to others, great value.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Peterlee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I chose Riad al Rimal on Booking .com based on it meeting 3 criteria - location in the Medina, rooftop jacuzzi and good price. It is difficult to chose the perfect Riad /hotel from descriptions on a web site but I am happy to say that I think I made a perfect choice and am more than happy with this Riad.
Location - approx 300 meters from Jemaa al Fna yet only 200 meters from civilisation! It is located near o the Koutoubia mosque and hotel. The tower of the mosque is Marrakech's most visible landmark so this Riad is very easy to find. It is located down a few little alleys but felt perfectly safe, even on a night, when security guards escorted you to the Riad door.
Roof top terrace / jacuzzi - Marrakech is a hot, dirty place and the terrace was fantastic for chilling out and sunbathing. The jacuzzi was filled / cleaned daily and was a godsend in the heat. It is very private and can also be used on a evening for having a quiet, relaxing drink (duty free vodka) after the markets start to wind down (2200- 2300) The terrace was also used for breakfast and is a beautiful place.
Price - I thought the price was very fair - however our room was very small. We chose the room on price as other bigger rooms were available so it would be unfair to criticise on that account. Our room was delightfully furnished in Moroccan style and was spotlessly clean. Towels were big and fluffy and everything was of a very high quality. The larger rooms were beautiful but I think Marrakech is a place for only spending a few days so I was more than happy with our choice.
What can't be determined from a web page is the friendliness an helpfulness of the staff. All the staff here were brilliant and nothing was too much for them. The French owners were frequently on site and everyone asked if I wanted anything or could they help.
I think I was really lucky in choosing this Riad from 100s of similar ones and would have no hesitation in recommending it to others and no hesitation in returning if I ever visit Marrakech again.
Top Tip - get them to organise a taxi pick up from the airport. (100Dh well spent)

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights and it was great. I would recommend booking the transfer from the airport as the Riad is hidden away and only accessible via a winding alley and the transfer includes being escorted on foot to the Riad's door. Upon arrival we were greeted by the hotel manager and given Morrocan tea and pastries. We were given an overview of the city, attractions worth visiting and how to get there, all very useful. We were able to use our room immediately which was great considering it was around 11am (most hotels stick to the 2pm or later checkin time). Our room was small but nicely decorated, clean and the shower was great. The bed was very comfortable and huge. We also found we got a strong smell of sewage but overcame this by keeping the toliet seat down and the bathroom shutters closed. Our room was cleaned daily. To be honest we used the room to freshen up and sleep as most of our time was spent site seeing or chilling on the roof terrace, which was very peaceful and picturesque. Breakfast was simple, tasty and ample - the Riad were very accomodating serving us breakfast 45mins earlier than usual on 1 of our excursion days. I would highly recommend staying here, the location is great literally round the corner from the Jemaa El Fna but away from all the hustle and bustle. Also ideal location for exploring other parts of the city. The staff are friendly and helpful and you feel very much at home. The only negative experience was the massage I had - the masseuse was nice but did not apply enough pressure and kept yawning. Also I have never had so much oil applied to my skin I had to shower immediately as I was like a walking oil slick. If you want a massage or hammam while in marrakech I would suggest researching spas in the area. Oh and do not worry about the alleyway that leads to the Riad it's safe and at night there is a security guard who will take you to the door.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I felt totally relaxed from the very first day. Upon arrival the Manager sat me down with Moroccan pastries and mint tea (which I still cannot get to taste the same) and gave a detailed overview of the city and the many attractions and the easiest way to get to them; very invaluable information. The Riad is small and intimate, but is ideally situated so one can experience the hustle and bustle of the city. I had a suite with a sitting area which was decorated Moroccan style with the decorative pillows, authentic Moroccan furniture and lamps, ideal, so one can relax after a day out sightseeing and /or shopping, or planning the following day's events on your laptop or ipad courtesy the free and excellent WI FI connection.There is excellent access to all the major attractions, which can be arranged by the Riad. There is a nicely equipped terraced roof with a hot tub and adequate amount of loungers for sunning and tanning. There are plenty of other public areas for lounging...

The staff is amazing, always service with a smile,very polite and willing to answer any questions. They made one feel at home. Even the owner takes the time to chat with you on mornings at breakfast, which is included in the price. No need to be scared going through the maze to get there, believe me there is a gem waiting behind that door.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Prague
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Out of the three hotels we stayd at while we were in Marocco, this was my favourite one. The best thing about it are its common areas. There are only a couple of rooms so they are not busy and we found to prefer to spend our time in the hotel there to our rooms. There are decorative pillows, handcarved tables, glass lamps everywhere. I really enjoyed it. Also, there is a terrase on the roof along with some patteo furniture and a hot tub, unfortunetly we did not get to use it as it was still quite cold while we were there but I imagine it must be divine just to relax there and perhaps read a book.

The staff were all extremly helpfull, espetially a handsome young man who served us breakfast every morning. He seemed genuinely interested when he asked us what we did all day or what our plans were. Also both managers (I think it is a family business) were nice.

Breakfast was great, fresh fruit, freshly squezed juice, bread and some marmalades. Me and my boyfriend are both carnivores but we came to realize that it is not usuall to serve ham/sausage for breakfast in Marocco.

The rooms vere also beautifully decorated but a tad small. it was also quite unusuall that the bathroom did not have a full door - only a curtian or shutters.

The biggest problem I had was the noise in the morning. At 7 am, I was awoken by a horrible noise, sounded like grinding of metal as the gates to hell open. I fell asleep again, but in 2 minutes I heard it again. After about 20 minutes of desperately trying to go back to sleep I finally went out to investigate what was the source of this noise. Turns out our wall was on the other side od the evelator which the staff used to send food from the kitchen into the dining room. The elevator had these metal doors and they always had to slide it to open it. As this went on the whole morning, we asked for another room. The management was very understandable and gave us another one - I imagine people complain about this all the time so they were not surprised when we did.

The last thing I want to mention is the hotel location. It lies in the centreof the old part of the city. It is a great starting point for exploring the market, which is only 2 minutes walking from it. But it is IMPOSSIBLE to find. We were offered to pay for - I think - 16euro for the transfer from the bus station to the hotel. They put us in a van and drove us as close as they could, but you need to walk for the rest of the way. The driver escorted us there. Quite frankly, it was the best way to spend 16 euro. Really, the streets are a maze, half of them are not on google maps so your iphone won´t hepl you.

Another option is to take a petit taxi which ARE SO CHEAP! You ride for 10 minutes and pay 10 dirham=1euro! and then ask someone to show you where the hotel is, Moroccians are willing to do pretty much anything for a little bakschis, I guess 20 dirham would be enough for someone to show you where it is.

Overall, my experience with this hotel was very pleasant, If I ever go back to marocco I will definitely stay here and I can recommend it to you.

Room Tip: Ask for one that is not to next to the breakfast elevator which would wake you up.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

This hotel is ideally situated to experience the "buzz" of Marrakech. The hotel itself was beautifully decorated and the staff could not be friendlier or do more to help. The room although small was expertly decorated and was more than adequate for relaxing after getting out of the bustling square.

The Jacuzzi and and sun loungers on the roof were a nice touch although it was a little too cold for us to fully appreciate.

The only negative was at two points during the stay there was a strong smell of sewage coming from the bathroom which quickly filled the room and forced us into other parts of the hotel, but with other areas being so nice it was not a massive problem.

Highly Recommend!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed as Riad Al Rimal on a bed and breakfast basis with my girlfriends to celebrate my friend's 30th birthday. We had such a great time! The hotel was beautiful and tranquil inside, with every room having a unique colour scheme. It was gorgeous. The dining area was lovely and last but not least, the staff were lovely and made us feel very welcome, especially Fourd, who sat us down upon our arrival, gave us Moroccan sweets, with mint tea and explained where all the hot spots were and what to avoid. His inside knowledge was invaluable. We were located very close to the famous square and the Medina, we were right in between the old town and the new town. What a contrast! But a must see.
Now for the not so great stuff - to get to the hotel, you have to walk down various alleyways. Care cannot go down them so you have to walk. Make sure you arrange transfers with the hotel! They not only know where the best place is to drop you off, but they will also assist with carrying your luggage.
Be careful of a man named Mustafa, who hangs outside the hotel and poses as a member of staff for the hotel. He will pretend he is guiding you around on instruction from the hotel, this is a lie! He takes you to specific restaurants or wherever else you want to go and gets commission from the establishment. He took us to the most awful restaurant where there were cats roaming around and nearly tainted our first impressions on the food in Morocco.
There are alot of cats everywhere in the old town and the go into restaurants begging for food. This is a put off if you are not a cat lover, be warned!
The breakfast in the hotel was ok, i didn't really like it as it was all cold foods, but you can ask them to make you something hot for an extra fee.
Overall though, a great experience and would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Al Rimal? Share your experiences!