“Great few days” 5 of 5 stars

3 Great sun terraces with beds, towels and hats
4 Brilliant staff and management
5 Very good breakfast
6 Good position

I am sure I will be going back when I need a bit of sun again

Room Tip: All rooms are good but worth paying a bit more for one of the better ones
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Kolding, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

My wife and I had invited her parents for a trip to Marrakech. I investigated a lot of Riads before deciding on Assakina. From the moment of booking, pick up in the airport, mint tea on arrival the stay was just perfect and real value for Money for us. Michelle and her great team with Naoual and assistents at day and Hicham and Hamim at night took really good care of us. Anything we asked or wanted to book the did straight away.

The Riad it selves is a lovely place. Nicely renovated and decorated by Grant and Michelle. We stayed both in the ground floor rooms and the 1st floor suites, and both was a great option. Nice and quiet all the time. The breakfast is fantastic and plenty and even that we stayed a full week with a good variation of choises. The complimentary afternoon tea or coffee we often had at the beautiful roof terrace (one of the best I have ever seen in Marrakech) to get the last of the sunshine after a good day out. Michelles touch for details makes the overall impression of the full riad exceptional and well coordinated.

There is a pool inside the medina and a small at the roof terrace. As we travelled in feb it was a bit to Cold to use it, but I am sure when its hot it will be nice place to cool Down.

The house cat Zack is really nice.
For us it was a must to live inside the Medina and the old Marrakech. Outside there is plenty of huge moderne hotels, but then Again this you can get at any Holiday. Assakina situated in the South part of the medina and a good 10 minutes walk to the main Square Djarma el Fna was perfect as it is a quite direct roote, and trust me Djarma el Fna will be your point of reference to find you way around. you will get lost in the souks, and thats part of the fun. But back to the Square and you can always find your way back to the Riad. Inside the riad you will feel the contast to the noisy and dirty city and feel like king and Queens. I guess no other city offers that great contrast.

There are plenty of good restaurants nearby just ask in the Riad for choises. I would also reccomned to try the local streeet food (tangine, cous cous etc.) with a glas of fresh orange juice. It will be around 3-4 EUR or 30 DH. The Riad itselves also offers various food choises if you just prefer to chill inside the Riad.

Our best meal we had at restaurant Kniza - the best morrocan meal (lamb tangine) ever.

A Hamman is a must in Marrakech and go for Les bains - A fantastic 45 minutes treatment in luxery for just 170 DH or approx 15 EUR - add massage if your budget allows.

If you are to haggle in the souk as a rule of thump. If they ask for 500DH offer 50 and hope to end up around 20-25% of the original price quoted.

I would reccomend that you change to a lot of small coins 1 and 2 dh and have for some of the poor living in the streets and we also had plenty of joy buying a bit of cat food to give to the cats on our way each morning.

Riad assakina is the perfect spot for your Marrakech stay wether just a few days in the Medina or a full week or more. We will for sure return when we come to Marrakech next time as Michelle and team Assakina all gave us a Holiday for a lifetime to remember. Thank you! We will be back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Riad Assakina during a recent visit to Morocco. I could not go far enough to recommend the Riad. Words are probably not enough to express how wonderful our visit was. Grant and Michelle are amazing hosts who are extremely thoughtful and helpful in the hustle and bustle that is Marrakech. You can count on them on anything from restaurant recommendations, shopping tips, to setting up day tours. The Riad itself is beautiful and serves as a wonderful oasis. Breakfast was alway delicious and filling. The afternoon tea and cake was always a delightful treat after a day of sightseeing!

Stayed January 2014
Benitachell, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Down a narrow muddy alley. Up against an old wooden door. What have I got myself into? And then…..the door opens on a true oasis. Palm trees, cacti, the sound of tricking water, wonderful artisan craftwork galore and hosts and staff there with a genuine desire to make your stay memorable, which it was. Your hostess Michelle will even find time to take you to some of her artisan friends in dim and impossible to find corners of the souk.
The roof top sun terrace has views across the city and to the snow capped Atlas mountains. And most of what you want to see in this wonderful place is within walking distance. Can't praise it and the staffer enough.

Room Tip: Don't be put off by the approach road. Most riads are down narrow backstreets. It's what lie...
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Riad Assakina is a wonderful Riad in a great location for many of the sites. The service and room were great. The breakfast was substantial - offering French and Morrocan pastries, orange juice and coffee or tea to start with! You can then select one of a number of dishes including eggs, tomato and potato; fresh fruit or fruit compote and yoghurt; cereals of various types. It is enough to take you right through to the evening! Though if you are hungry, they provide tea or coffee with Morrocan pastries in the afternoon as part of the package. If you give advance notice, you can have dinner at the Riad but we did not take advantage of this.

In the warm weather, there is a lovely roof terrace while in colder weather the living room is cozy and warm.

Grant had organized a taxi from the airport for us making our arrival hassle free and Michele greeted us with mint tea and gave us tips and a map on where to go; she also booked a hammam for us (persuading my husband that he would enjoy it too ... and he did!).

The local staff are wonderful and go out of their way to make you feel 'at home'.

All in all we had a fabulous experience.

Martin and Viviane

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Stunning, elegant and spotless place; inspiring, hardworking and caring owner; lovely, welcoming, and dedicated staff. If you want to treat yourself with a memorable trip to Marrakesh and don't have time to prepare anything, this the best place to discover this fascinating city. Riad Assakina staff will make everything and give you the best tips to make it a total success.

Room Tip: Depend on your budget, but all rooms are beautifully decorated and very clean.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

This Holiday was a year in planning. My best friend and I were discussing what I should do for my 50th Birthday, We wanted to go somewhere different. So we decided on Marrakech, husband and partners all in for the adventure. Taxi picked us up which was organised by the Riad, 15 mins later you are in the middle of the city, walking through your door to the Riad Assakina, an Oasis amongst the hustle of which is Marrakech. Our hosts the owners Michele and Grant were amazing, nothing was too much trouble, to organising taxi's out in the evening, to the recommendations to restaurants/historical interests, to where to go in the souks. Even walking us out to the best places to buy the wonderful mental lamps/lighting that you see adorn everywhere in the Riad. This holiday for me was made extra special and my partner, who proposed to me on my birthday, My fiance along with my best friend had been planning this for the whole year, along with Michele and Grant they had organised a beautiful meal cooked in the Riad, ever attention to detail had been given to us, truly a wonderful holiday, for me the perfect location. A holiday that i will never forget ever, thanks to everyone at Riad Assakina making our holiday perfect.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Assakina? Share your experiences!