“Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 491 Hotels in Marrakech
Sydney, Australia
“Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Riad Assakina is one of the best places we have ever stayed! Great hospitality, a beautiful setting and wonderful hosts. Well hidden away from the hustle and bustle of Marrakech. Once inside the front door, you enter a peaceful paradise complete with a beautiful rooftop and an inviting swimming pool. Breakfast and afternoon tea were eagerly awaited every day (if you are out and about during afternoon tea time, they serve it on your return!). Also, loved the evening turndown service! If I didn't live as far away as Australia, I would be going back annually for some peace and relaxation!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Berber Room. Loved it!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars

Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Assakina apparently means inner calm and it sums up this riad perfectly. It is an oasis from the madness and mopeds of the Medina, newly created in traditional style and beautiful in every detail. Do not be put off by the alleyway by which it is approached; inside is heaven. The hospitality of its English owners is beyond compare, the breakfast magnificent and the cake that came with the afternoon tea something we looked forward to every day.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Neil W
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed for three nights and found this an excellent base from which to explore Marrakesh. The location in the Jewish quarter meant that we were in walking distance of most of the sights and about 15 minutes to the square and the souks, longer if you get easily distracted.
Like most Riads it was unprepossessing from the outside, down a dark and narrow street, but opening into a beautifully designed and decorated space, following the traditional Riad model. Our room was spacious and had those little extras - fresh flowers, fresh fruit daily, a turn down service with chocolates. The salon for breakfast and relaxation had guidebooks and magazines to help our exploration and Grant and Michelle were on hand to offer suggestions for restaurants and trips if we were not already prepared.
The roof terraces were bathed in sunlight and gave a good view across the city, and provided a great spot to take the afternoon tea provided.
The staff were extraordinarily helpful particularly Naoual and Hicham. I had an unfortunate altercation in the main square when I refused to accept a “free” henna tattoo, which resulted in henna being sprayed across my back. Henna doesn’t come out of clothing easily (bear this in mind for sheets and towels!) but my shirt was returned to me in good condition after “special products” had been applied.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I booked this short break to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary, having never been to Marrakesh before, we used an agent who knew our needs well so it was pure serendipity that brought us to Grant and Michelle. What an amazing place! Beautifully presented, traditional design, decorated with an inate sense of style. Grant and Michelle are not innkeepers but generous and welcoming hosts and made us feel as though we belonged from the moment we arrived. They gave us tips on everything from where to go, where to eat, what to buy and how much to pay and on our last (rainy) day while waiting for our flight they booked us into Les Bain Marrakesh where we were washed to within an inch of our life and made to feel like royalty - the massage rounded off our stay perfectly and we returned home rested and relaxed. We shall return to Marrakesh and will look no further than the Riad Assakina where attention to detail and hospitality are the name of the game, enhanced by friendly, smiling and ever willing staff - this place is a winner.

Room Tip: Not necessary - all rooms are exquisitely designed and decorated and face an inner courtyard so ther...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This riad was a haven of peace and quiet compared to the bustle in the streets outside. We were immediately welcomed and looked after by Grant and Michelle, who gave us all the information we needed for an enjoyable stay in the town. We stayed in a junior suite which was very well appointed ,excellent beds and a luxurious bathroom.Breakfasts were delicious and we enjoyed the afternoon tea and pastries provided every day. Nothing was too much trouble for Michelle and her staff.We will certainly return here if we visit Marrakech again.

Room Tip: The upper rooms seem to be more private
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank margi186262
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

On arriving in Marrakech we were taken by taxi to a derb {alley} in the jewish quarter of of the city. Wondering if we had made a mistake we rang the bell of the riad which was opened by a pretty and polite Morrocan lass. On entering we discovered a very bright, clean and traditionally designed interior courtyard accommodating guests sitting on large comfortable sofas drinking mint tea. A small swimming pool was also an unexpected feature of the courtyard. After being made welcome by the owners, Michelle and Grant, we were shown around the riad which boasts a sun terrace, giving a great views of the surrounding area, including nesting storks, a boutique and a dining room/lounge. The rooms and suites are comfortable and tastefully decorated, with little extras one might expect in a four star hotel. To our delight we were upgraded from a room to a suite on the second night of our stay at no extra cost. Our hosts and their staff did everything possible to make our stay as comfortable and carefree as possible, advising on trips, restaurants and arranging taxis. Thank you Michelle, Grant, Naoual, Hicham and all who help make our stay in Marrakech a memorable one. Hopefully we will return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank sue t
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This would have to have been one of the friendliest and most enjoyable stays I have experienced in any of my travels. Right from the emails I exchanged with Grant in the booking process, I knew that this was going to be great, but I was still suprised by the incredible welcome I received from Michele and Grant, and the service I received from Hicham and all the team during my stay. The room they gave me was incredible - the comfort and attention to detail (and thanks for the upgrade!!) exceeded expectations - the food was amazing, and the help and advice they gave me on everything from tours, restaurants and shopping in the souks really made my holiday! (I would encourage anyone staying here to take Michele's advice on a nearby hammam, it was fantastic, and a not-to-be missed Marrakesh experience.)

On my arrival, Michele gave me a tour of the riad and gave me a quick tour of the surrounds - a huge confidence boost in the crazy streets of Marrakech, and Hicham not only walked me to a nearby restaurant for dinner one night so I wouldn't get lost, but also secured me one of the best tables in the house! Its a level of service, offered so willingly, that you don't see anywhere.

The location is perfect - an easy, and interesting, walk to the main square and into the souks, as well as palaces and many other unmissable sights.

Thank you Michele, Grant, Hicham and all the team for an unforgettable stay. I can only hope I get a chance to come back again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo