“A hidden gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 462 Hotels in Marrakech
Reading, United Kingdom
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed for three nights and found this an excellent base from which to explore Marrakesh. The location in the Jewish quarter meant that we were in walking distance of most of the sights and about 15 minutes to the square and the souks, longer if you get easily distracted.
Like most Riads it was unprepossessing from the outside, down a dark and narrow street, but opening into a beautifully designed and decorated space, following the traditional Riad model. Our room was spacious and had those little extras - fresh flowers, fresh fruit daily, a turn down service with chocolates. The salon for breakfast and relaxation had guidebooks and magazines to help our exploration and Grant and Michelle were on hand to offer suggestions for restaurants and trips if we were not already prepared.
The roof terraces were bathed in sunlight and gave a good view across the city, and provided a great spot to take the afternoon tea provided.
The staff were extraordinarily helpful particularly Naoual and Hicham. I had an unfortunate altercation in the main square when I refused to accept a “free” henna tattoo, which resulted in henna being sprayed across my back. Henna doesn’t come out of clothing easily (bear this in mind for sheets and towels!) but my shirt was returned to me in good condition after “special products” had been applied.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I booked this short break to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary, having never been to Marrakesh before, we used an agent who knew our needs well so it was pure serendipity that brought us to Grant and Michelle. What an amazing place! Beautifully presented, traditional design, decorated with an inate sense of style. Grant and Michelle are not innkeepers but generous and welcoming hosts and made us feel as though we belonged from the moment we arrived. They gave us tips on everything from where to go, where to eat, what to buy and how much to pay and on our last (rainy) day while waiting for our flight they booked us into Les Bain Marrakesh where we were washed to within an inch of our life and made to feel like royalty - the massage rounded off our stay perfectly and we returned home rested and relaxed. We shall return to Marrakesh and will look no further than the Riad Assakina where attention to detail and hospitality are the name of the game, enhanced by friendly, smiling and ever willing staff - this place is a winner.

Room Tip: Not necessary - all rooms are exquisitely designed and decorated and face an inner courtyard so ther...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This riad was a haven of peace and quiet compared to the bustle in the streets outside. We were immediately welcomed and looked after by Grant and Michelle, who gave us all the information we needed for an enjoyable stay in the town. We stayed in a junior suite which was very well appointed ,excellent beds and a luxurious bathroom.Breakfasts were delicious and we enjoyed the afternoon tea and pastries provided every day. Nothing was too much trouble for Michelle and her staff.We will certainly return here if we visit Marrakech again.

Room Tip: The upper rooms seem to be more private
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

On arriving in Marrakech we were taken by taxi to a derb {alley} in the jewish quarter of of the city. Wondering if we had made a mistake we rang the bell of the riad which was opened by a pretty and polite Morrocan lass. On entering we discovered a very bright, clean and traditionally designed interior courtyard accommodating guests sitting on large comfortable sofas drinking mint tea. A small swimming pool was also an unexpected feature of the courtyard. After being made welcome by the owners, Michelle and Grant, we were shown around the riad which boasts a sun terrace, giving a great views of the surrounding area, including nesting storks, a boutique and a dining room/lounge. The rooms and suites are comfortable and tastefully decorated, with little extras one might expect in a four star hotel. To our delight we were upgraded from a room to a suite on the second night of our stay at no extra cost. Our hosts and their staff did everything possible to make our stay as comfortable and carefree as possible, advising on trips, restaurants and arranging taxis. Thank you Michelle, Grant, Naoual, Hicham and all who help make our stay in Marrakech a memorable one. Hopefully we will return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This would have to have been one of the friendliest and most enjoyable stays I have experienced in any of my travels. Right from the emails I exchanged with Grant in the booking process, I knew that this was going to be great, but I was still suprised by the incredible welcome I received from Michele and Grant, and the service I received from Hicham and all the team during my stay. The room they gave me was incredible - the comfort and attention to detail (and thanks for the upgrade!!) exceeded expectations - the food was amazing, and the help and advice they gave me on everything from tours, restaurants and shopping in the souks really made my holiday! (I would encourage anyone staying here to take Michele's advice on a nearby hammam, it was fantastic, and a not-to-be missed Marrakesh experience.)

On my arrival, Michele gave me a tour of the riad and gave me a quick tour of the surrounds - a huge confidence boost in the crazy streets of Marrakech, and Hicham not only walked me to a nearby restaurant for dinner one night so I wouldn't get lost, but also secured me one of the best tables in the house! Its a level of service, offered so willingly, that you don't see anywhere.

The location is perfect - an easy, and interesting, walk to the main square and into the souks, as well as palaces and many other unmissable sights.

Thank you Michele, Grant, Hicham and all the team for an unforgettable stay. I can only hope I get a chance to come back again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Hayward heath, United kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I had a lovely and relaxing time in Ryad Assakina. We did not get the chance to meet the owners, Michele and Grant, as they were supervising the building works of their house in Wales, but we were looked after by their efficient staff, in particular Hicham in the afternoons, and Naoual during the day. We spent three nights there, entirely stress free. Hicham welcomed us on arrival, and straight away led us to the lounge for a cup of tea and some Morrocan parties. He chatted with us in English and, on our request, in French too. We had lovely exchanges about the culture, the people and the languages of Morocco, and we felt settled straight away!
The room was lovely and spacious. We occupied the Almohad suite; in fairness, it was not a suite but a large bedroom with a bed and a sofa, all the same it was very comfortable. The only drawback was the bathroom: no bath, just a down shower, and a tiny immersion tank. Not quite enough to warm us up after night fall at this season, plus there was no shower cap available. Not ideal for my long hair! The taps and drains were a bit capricious and would have benefited from some TLC. Also, there were neither any cotton buds nor body lotion available. Do pack your own if, like me, you are better with than without. Despite these details, we had a wonderful wonderful time, and truly felt at home.
Every day, it was clear that Hicham and Naoual communicated together, as we never had to repeat any request nor information from one to the other. Also, neither of them hesitated in walking us in the streets to point us in the right direction, which meant that we never got lost nor even concerned about being so! They welcomed us back each afternoon with a refreshing tea and sweet. Also, they were interested to hear about our visits of the day and in particular, were keen to collect any good or bad feedback from the restaurants we visited. The ryad itself is decorated with confident taste, and is a pleasure to stay in. As we stayed during the cold season however, we could not enjoy the lovely terrasses and even less the pool. I hope that we will have the chance to visit again!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Londra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This was one of the best hotel I experienced so far.. great service, very good location and very good care for details! you can tell the owner loves her job and her place..

We also had some personal issues as me and my girlfriend fell sick on the way there.. they took care of us as if we were home! We recovered and then were able to enjoy the rest of our trip.. my girlfriend loved it so much that she would like to go back to Marrakech only to go back there!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Assakina? Share your experiences!