“A good spot for that 'eating on the square' experience.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #241 of 592 Restaurants in Marrakech
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
England, United Kingdom
“A good spot for that 'eating on the square' experience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I ate at this stall a couple of times during my visit to Marrakech. How could I go there and then not eat at the famous Djamaa el Fna square food stalls!

I'm not entirely sure why I chose this particular stall No1 on the square but had a perfectly acceptable chicken kebab style meal with vegetable one night and a chicken cous cous another night. Both meals were, as I say, perfectly acceptable served with the usual breadroll and a tomato and a harisa dip (I used the dips to give the meal a bit more ooomph). On my last visit I also ordered some aubergine but they forgot them until the last minute and they were not hot any more so not so appitising.

The chicken cous cous I had here was as good as, if not better, than others I had at twice the price!

Prices were excellent - I think I paid 35dh one night and 45 another.

Bonus - although the waiters were all keen to get my business the guys from this stall did not hassle me as I walked around at other times. When I said I wasn't looking to eat at the moment they left it at that. Others were more inclined to follow and hassle me with their fake English accents and 'Cheap as Chips' etc slogans that drive me mad!

Interestingly, I got chatting to mature Moroccan gentleman when I went to another cafe for mint tea and we discussed eating out and he warned me to be careful if eating on the square and that he would only ever go to No 1 as they are very long established and cleaner than many others. Other than that he would only use a particular fish stall but I stupidly did not get the number.

Would I eat there again? Yes.
Would I recommend it to others? Yes, give it a go - it's all part of the holiday experience and you have to eat somewhere!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hassan!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

Very good and authentic food.. Service always comes with a smile and multilingual of course..
As clean as it gets in Marrakech!

Make sure you try the Taginia..

All the best

Visited October 2011
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Distinctly average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

I headed straight for Aicha after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor but have to say that I feel a little let down. Previous reviewers said this stall was amazing/the best....I found it pretty average actually and my partner really wasn't impressed either. It has to be said though that there is a great atmosphere eating in the market at night and good service by Adil.

Visited March 2012
Quebec City, Canada
“The most popular, but not the best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Aicha may be stall #1 in the wonderful place of Djema El-Fna, but it isn't where the best food is. We found much better fare at #41 on our first night (of 3!) in the stalls. Some items were cold and others were just not as tasty. I think the high number of people coming here has some impact on the quality of both the service and the food.

Visited March 2012
Groningen, The Netherlands
“Good food, local feeling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

Food and hospitality is great, open up! Check if meat is well cooked (ours was). Try the kebabs and the vegetable tajine.

Visited February 2012