“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Sholmes

Save Saved
You added Dar Sholmes to your Saves list
Dar Sholmes
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   82 Derb Sidi M'Barek | Quartier Sidi Mimoun, Marrakech 40008, Morocco   |
Ranked #48 of 1,046 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed here for 1 week in August as a last minute holiday destination. The Riad is located through a series of alleys in the old town area.

Its a great location, very quiet after a long hot day in the busy areas of Marrakech.

Hassan and his staff were great and helped us a lot and made our stay very comfortable.

We would highly recommend staying at Dar Sholmes, we had no complaints at all, thank you Hassan.

Its close to the main square - Jemaa al Fna and easy access to other close landmarks and tourist attractions.

The room was excellent, clean, comfy beds, perfect lighting etc.

We very much enjoyed our short stay and if we ever return we will stay at Dar Sholmes.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

265 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

From the moment I was met in the medina by Hafid and guided through the maze of alleys in the old medina, to meeting Hassan at the Dar's entrance, I knew that I had selected the right location for my first stay in Morocco. Dar Sholmes was just what I was looking for to help create an authentic experience. In the last month, I stayed there on two occasions - once for five nights by myself and the second time with my daughter for three nights. Both times, Hassan and Hafid made my (our) stay an incredible one. On one occasion, Hafid delivered my clothes to a local laundry and later picked them up for me. On another, Hassan walked with me to the train station so I could purchase train and bus tickets to other Morocco cities. I loved watching the World Cup games with the two of them. I liked the location in the medina. It's about a 15 minute (easy) walk to Jemaa el Fna and the souks area. I had two different rooms because of the two stays. Both rooms were clean, had very comfortable beds, lighting was good, water temp and pressure were great. Rooms are not large; however, they were a comfortable size. I had dinner at the Dar on two occasions. Both times it was delicious and reasonably priced. Breakfast was delivered shortly after I climbed to the roof deck in the morning by Hafid. He could hear me moving about. It was delicious and enough food - orange juice, mint tea (or coffee), crepes with butter and jam, bread, fresh fruit, yogurt. Marrakech is a very hectic city. The Dar Sholmes was my oasis away from all of the craziness. It was so relaxing to come back to at the end of a long sightseeing day and/or dinner out with the crowds. Will definitely return on my next trip to Marrakech. Thanks very much to Hassan and Hafid.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the rooms on the 1st floor best. That's the middle of the three floors.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

My family stayed here in June 2014 and I can’t praise the riad, or the staff, highly enough. The manager, Hassan, went out of his way to be accommodating. He was welcoming, friendly, helpful and patient and dealt impeccably with our large and diverse group. Hassan’s staff were also exceptionally good. They worked hard to ensure that we all had what we needed and no request was too big.

Separately, and upon request, Hassan arranged a private party for us and guests on the roof of the riad. The end result went well beyond our expectations – the setting, décor, staff and food were all fantastic and his and his team’s efforts ensured that the evening was special and memorable.

One of the other reviews mentions a change in management and issues resulting from this. I just want to add that we too made our booking under the previous management. Hassan, the new manager, made a real effort to ensure that our stay was not impacted by the change and I can honestly say we had no issues arising from the change.

The riad is excellent value for money and I have no hesitation in recommending it – it is a charming place, in a great location and with a brilliant team to support it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We had an excellent stay at Dar Sholmes - from the moment we arrived Hassan (the manager) gave us lots of useful information, and couldn't do enough to help us - for example ringing about 5 different hotels to ask about using their swimming pool! The other staff were great also, particularly the younger guy who was always on hand to make us delicious mint tea.

Our room was great and cleaned immaculately every day, we especially liked the decor of the bathroom and the bathrobes thrown in. We also enjoyed the rooftop hot tub in the evening.

The riad is a short walk through a busy part of town to the main square, a good distance just far enough from the madness of the souks.

Thanks to all at Dar Sholmes for a great stay, and we are sorry we left too early to say goodbye to Hassan!

Highly recommended, and by far the best riad we stayed at in Marakech (out of three!)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We booked this Riad on the basis of reviews in Trip Adviser but some of these seem to be through rose coloured glasses.
There has been a change of management and as a result the Riad had lost all details of our booking and we were not met at the airport as promised. We took a taxi which dropped us at the end of the alley way to the Riad. The taxi driver did not know how to get to the Riad and so some local lads showed us the way through a long and winding alley way. Arriving about 10pm Hassan greeted us and explained he did not know we were coming but luckily a room was kept for these emergencies!! No food was available only coke and water....nothing else We were not booked into the Riad during our stay (4 nights) so there is no record of our presence other than payment of the final invoice
Overall the Riad is pleasant enough but not exceptional. The room (2) to which we were eventually allocated on the first floor was good; clean and tidy, with some nice touches such as bathrobes and nice toiletries; however, the safe did not work and as noted by a previous reviewer hot water was variable. We did eat one meal in the Riad which was average and the price of a bottle of wine was excessive (not available by the glass). Service is the hotel was pleasant but minimal. Breakfasts were OK not exceptional. Internet service is variable depending where you are in the Riad
The trip to the main Square is some distance along the twists and turns of the alley way and a side road before hazardous crossings of main highways to the Koutoubia Mosque and Jemaa el-Fna Square (about 1km).
By contrast, the Riad we stayed at in Essaouira for a similar price was, except for the room, far superior in every respect; service, location, food (exceptional breakfasts and evening meal) and facilities.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor open onto the dining area and cannot be pleasant or private.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Urdorf, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We stayed at this riad at the end of our Marocco trip. The Dar Sholmes was easily the best Riad we stayed in Marocco. The staff was very friendly, open and helpfull. The rooms were clean and tidy. There is a mobile phone in the room! I find this a very cool idea. Food was marvelous.

We recommended this place to all our friends travelling to Marakech, a place not to miss!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Taunton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Wonderful place, beautiful people. The staff at Dar Sholmes helped make out trip to Marrakech a delight. Within the chaos and excitement of this amazing city the staff at Dar Sholmes did everything they could to make us feel relaxed and very special. They had the balance between friendliness and professional care perfectly right. If you are considering visiting Marrakech treat yourself by booking in here. Nothing will disappoint.

Room Tip: All rooms have their own charm. I cannot single one above the other as that would seem to suggest on...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Dar Sholmes? Share your experiences!