“Truly extraordinary” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Sholmes

Save Saved
You added Dar Sholmes to your Saves list
Dar Sholmes
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   82 Derb Sidi M'Barek | Quartier Sidi Mimoun, Marrakech 40008, Morocco   |
Ranked #49 of 1,057 Marrakech B&B and Inns
New York, New York, United States
“Truly extraordinary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

After staying in several riads throughout Morocco, I can say without any hesitation that Dar Sholmes is absolutely exceptional. The riad is perfectly located, in a quiet neighborhood a 5-10 minute walk from the heart of Marrakech. Luc and Sarah are the most welcoming of hosts, who we now regard as wonderful friends. In addition to personally showing us around the surrounding neighborhood and the Place Jemma Fna, they organized a session at a fantastic hammam (spa), helped us pay non-tourist prices in the nearby souk by accompanying us on our shopping trip, arranged transport for us, gave us indispensable advice for the rest of our travels, etc. The rest of the staff at Dar Sholmes are lovely as well, and couldn't be more helpful or friendly. In addition to the incredible hospitality, the riad itself is wonderful -- a picturesque courtyard with a fountain is surrounded by tastefully appointed, spacious rooms. Everything has been recently redone - the bathrooms in particular have a luxurious quality. Upon arriving, we were served complimentary mint tea and led to our room (which Luc upgraded for us on a complimentary basis as they were not at full capacity). In addition to the beautiful rooms/courtyard, the terrace is a lovely spot to sit and enjoy breakfast, have great wine hand-picked by Luc during the evenings, or relax in the jacuzzi. Our last night at the riad, we decided to dine in-house with a few other people we had met who were also staying there. This couldn't have been a better choice - the food was fantastic (great tagine and couscous, as well as delicious desserts made on site), and the service was akin to that of a high-quality restaurant. In general the service at Dar Sholmes is five stars, on par with or even surpassing that of the fanciest hotels due to the personal warmth and welcome you also receive. Our stay in Morocco was highly memorable and relaxing mostly due to Dar Sholmes, Luc, and Sarah. I can't recommend this place more.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
luc b, Propriétaire at Dar Sholmes, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
We shared with you moments that go beyond the hotel business.
Thank you for your friendship and trust. We are a lot of who receive customers in Morocco, and many are great qualities. As you point out, our priority is your comfort and well-being, and I am very happy and proud that you keep us a beautiful picture.
Paloma, I want you to know that all those times we spent together will always remain in our hearts.
Your friendship, your kindness, your smile, your laughter, are forever etched in our minds.
I sincerely hope that you will return one day to see us in Marrakech ...... maybe you are three, unless either side of Chicago, we met ...... .
I wish you a beautiful new facility in your new city, in your new life ..... and we kiss you ........ luc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

A mix of old world charm, phenomenal hosting, friendly detailed service, luxurious comfort, amazing food and gentle friendly class. Luc and his team have a welcoming environment that beats the fanciest hotels. Marrakech may be an amazing place but this brought it up a notch. Set in a friendly and safe neighborhood, you will be amazed from when the door opens to when you leave. After a long trip in many hotels, I was fortunate to finish here, in peace and comfort. I cant wait to return and bring friends. My only problem was I was there for business and this is a very romantic spot, although I can imagine kids having a great time too.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
luc b, Gérant at Dar Sholmes, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Your reception, was a huge challenge for our riad. Branch of a large company with us, was a great challenge for us, cause you're used to big hotels. You did us the honor to give us your trust and your friendship very quickly. I am very pleased that you keep your stay at Dar Sholmes a beautiful memory. Of course we wait to see you can be with your family in our small house. Your kindness, your good humor are all these past moments, are part of our history now. Thank you for this great comment, that affects us a lot ........ soon.
Gatton, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Everything about this riad is exceptional. The rooms are beautifully appointed, very clean and so spacious. The location is perfect - close to everything and yet still so peaceful. Luc, the owner went out of his way to make me feel comfortable and relaxed, personally meeting me to guide me to the riad and then organizing a fantastic tour to Ourika for me. The rest of the team, Siham, Miriam, Betty and Soued all went out of their way to welcome me and all of their friendly attention to all that i could possibly have wanted was just fantastic. From the rose strewn fountain in the dining area to the lovely terrace overlooking the Koutoubia Mosque it is a truly beautiful riad and Luc and his team made my stay a magical one. Truly outstanding.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
luc b, Propriétaire at Dar Sholmes, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
As it was difficult to receive you in our small riad, you who come from an also big country and finaly, it was very easy because your heart is as big as your country .......
The moments spent with you were all real moments of happiness, your joy of life that you shared with all riad, your kindness, your laughter are now part of the history of our riad ..
Thank you for everything you gave us, thank you for giving us even more desire to go see your big country ....... See you soon Australia ......
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

spent 4 unforgettable days with a group of friends and enjoyed every single aspect of the experience. Luc is a host like no others... one night for example we were on the terrace chatting at 4 in the morning looking out to the lights of the minaret and without us even asking Luc just brought us a complementary plate of watermelon and dates.... the staff is also unique, very kind and eager to help and happy to serve breakfast or improvise a moroccan meal on the terrace at any time on a moment's notice. Also we felt at ease leaving all our doors unlocked with money, cellphones and whatnot just laying around. the location is stunning, it is in the heart of the medina, a magical intricate mesh of tiny alleys where the authentic moroccan life takes place, and full of incredibly friendly children playing. 5 minutes walk and you are in the heart of Marrakech, with snake enchanters ,drum circles and all the energy in the world filling the air.
I would return in a heartbeat, for a holiday with the guys or a family outing.
In fact i am a bit nostalgic just thinking about it

• Stayed May 2013
luc b, Propriétaire at Dar Sholmes, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Thank you for your friendship, thank you for your trust. We need you much more than hospitality. I am very pleased that your stay with us is a special moment for you. Know that we keep this trip so special and what we can do, is not too much compared to the thousands of kilometers you made to join us,for your stay in our riad. You know that we are waiting for you, when you want, when you can............
Thank you very much and see you soon ........ kisses.
Dubai, UAE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I was surprised by the friendly and yet professional service of everybody at Dar Sholmes. They have a few rooms and you feel as if you stay in a family house. One evening I decided to eat in and had a lovely home made tajine in front of me after a little while.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
luc b, Propriétaire at Dar Sholmes, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
We needed one ....... That's it!!
Thank you for your lovely comment. I'm glad you apreciated our hospitality and our tolerance capacity compared to some of your desires........ however, can not all be realized in the evening by Mohamed...... That maybe why we certainly got this note 4 out of 5.
It is true that the reduction that I have granted ...... could be higher ....
As for the cleanliness of my Riad, I made ​​it a point of honor, so I'm surprised by your disappointment.
Regarding the service, I regret that Mohamed with his usual kindness and availability, upon arrival, that Mariem, Btisam, Siham have a little disappointed you ......... ..
I assure you that we will try to be better, to the extent of our resources and our moral limits ..... during your next stay with us, where this time I will focus on being present to ensure your comfort ...... personally.
Luc
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This riad will provide you the perfect fusion of the authentic medina (old town) experience with the service and luxury of a higher end hotel. Our few days there were not nearly enough, but with the help of the delightful staff we had a truly magical time. They booked us a relaxing afternoon at the spa, reservations at wonderful restaurants and served beautiful breakfasts on the terrace. The owner Luc is a gem, his hospitality and kindness are out of this world. We were able to walk to so many sights from the riad including the main market/souk and Luc was able to take us on a delightful tour of the Ourika Valley, with a beautiful hike and a traditional lunch and none of the forced tourist stuff that you read about in reviews of tour companies. I would go back in a second and recommend this raid to everyone! I really want to thank Riad Dar Sholmes for an excellent weekend in Marrakech, I hope to visit again soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
luc b, Propriétaire at Dar Sholmes, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
So many thanks for your wonderful comment. What is precious is above all your sense of having been during these past few days with us were happy. I am fully aware that without person like you, we would not be as proud of our work. Kisses to you and Matt. Luc
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

An unforgettable 4 day experience full of excursions and excitement!
The whole staff was very welcoming and made sure to make our trip a memorable one.
The atmosphere of the rooms is magical unfortunately, four days aren't even enough to truly experience the beauty of the Riad and Marrakech itself.
We're looking forward on coming back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Dar Sholmes? Share your experiences!