“The good, the bad & the not so ugly! It was a wonderful holiday.” 4 of 5 stars

Eden Andalou Hotel Aquapark & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Km 4 route d'Amezmiz, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #284 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
Bimingham
“The good, the bad & the not so ugly! It was a wonderful holiday.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

“The Good”

What I really liked about this hotel was the lobby. It is huge, with vibrant seating arrangements, stunning chandeliers and more importantly, friendly staff. As our flight landed late morning and arrived before the ‘official’ check-in time. It wasn’t a problem, as we were able to go straight to the room. A porter took our bags there for us. Also, when we checked-in, a waiter gave us some sweet hot tea, which was nice.

Note: The hotel is 15 minutes from the airport and Marrakech. It is isolated, but as Marrakech was a bit manic, I liked that is was out of town, BUT there was nothing in the area to see or do

We had paid more for an upgraded room, so I was slightly disappointed that it didn’t resemble a “suite”, as we were given merely a large room (that looked similar to others), but it did have a balcony near the pool and the view was okay. So in hindsight, for value for money, I wouldn’t recommend paying any more an upgrade when you book your holiday.

The room itself was nice; I loved the blend of dark browns, gold’s with vibrant turquoise. The bed was comfy and the bathroom was quite big. Overall it wasn’t too shabby! It was cleaned daily. It had a large flat screen TV and a fridge (there was a free bottle of water in it too). Toiletries in the bathroom were minimal, not what one would expect from a 5* Hotel – not a shower cap or sewing kit in sight LOL! Moreover, as I have long hair, I am always dubious of the quality of hairdryer, so I tend to bring my own and in this case, I didn’t use it; the one in the room was not bad at all! There was also a safe in the room, which was free to use. This was located in the wardrobe, which in itself was quite big.

“The Bad”

The bedroom didn’t have any tea and coffee making facilities, an iron and ironing board or chairs to sit on the balcony - there was only one chair for the dresser. For a 5* Hotel, these should be provided. In the room, we did have a slight issue with ants. The ants were coming from the roof in the bathroom and the gaps in the sink, oddly, not from outside the front door or balcony (not that I could see). I didn’t say anything as what could the hotel do!

“The Good; part 2”

There are two good-sized swimming pools. The pool with the fountains is heated to 26 degrees. The other larger pool is cold, so that was why people were not using it much when we were there. Around the pool were plenty of loungers and sunshades. The gardens were nice, but I guess due to the time of the year, the majority of the flowers were not out just yet. There were always gardeners doing something and were active to make the grounds to look nice.

Additionally, outside, there was plenty of seating for breakfast and lunch, should you prefer to be outside and not in the restaurant? I thought for a 5* Hotel there should be waiter service around the pool, but not in this case.

I always think it is rude to criticize the catering, so in this case there was always something that I liked and the quality was fine. The wok food was lovely and the wraps at lunch were nice. I never eat chips, but the French Fries were really tasty. Thanks chef! I preferred the wine and the lager from the bar.

“The Bad, part 2”

I think this has to be said, only for the benefit of the management to improve things. On the catering subject, I thought the service was mildly chaotic. There was no designated waiter for each section of the restaurant, which gives no incentive to tip at the end of the holiday. The waiters often re-used, the used napkins, which did cause conflict between a guest and a waiter. I thought this was a bit disgusting. Also, the waiters cleared plates that I was still using and left other parts of the restaurant untidy. The entertainment staff ate there and sat with other guests too; which I thought was weird. The food was also VERY repetitive – I like variety – but it wasn’t poor quality – there were lots of salads too.

The bar next door was fine; however it allowed smoking – I hate smoke! There was also not a lot of variety in drinks; the whiskey and rum were horrible, the coffees were served warm and in short measures. The lager was nice. The bar staff often favoured the French speaking guests, who got served first. The bar staffs’ attitudes varied; one minute they were really nice, the next minute they were ignorant. The management would often be loitering around; which the bar staff gave them more attention that their customers.

Moreover, I accept that plastic cups should be used around the pool, but the bar staff often served drinks in them at the bar and didn’t use glass. Again, for a 5* Hotel, glass should only be used in the bar.

“A Mixed Review”

The entertainment crew were not as pushy as other resorts I have been to, which was a good thing; however it was really amateur. There was one show I watched, that I didn’t understand - the props broke during the performance and the actors' hats kept falling off. It was cringe worthy - I wasn’t laughing with them, I laughing at them, so we left. Also, we did the Pub Quiz and the entertainment team got the answers wrong – I looked them up on my iPad to prove I was right. Terrible!

Finally, as an All Inclusive (AL) guest, we were able to eat in the Moroccan and Italian restaurants. Firstly, we had to pay for our drinks (although we were AL), secondly, the service was really slow and thirdly, and the food quality wasn’t as good as the main restaurant. I would recommend to anyone to give these a miss.

There was an Aqua Park, but it wasn’t open on the days I wanted to use it. I prepaid for this too and apparently it was free to walk into and use – said a couple of girls who used it.

THE WOW FACTOR: On a good clear day, without cloud and haze, the view from the poolside of the Atlas Mountains was amazing. It was surreal being in the sun, with the heat, seeing snow capped mountains.

WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL? Yes, but don’t expect 5* star service; it’s a 4* star at best. A lot of the bad points I accepted, but I didn't allow them to ruin my holiday. Overall, it was a lovey holiday - it is who you're with that counts!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Wales UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Just returned from a wonderful week at this hotel. We had arranged collection from the airport which was waiting for us after a 90 minute wait to get through passport control. When we arrived our cases were taken to our room for us. The room was lovely with a nice seating area with views of the pools and grounds. We were half board most guests were fully inclusive. We did feel the cost of drinks at dinner (£14 bottle wine £ 2) water was excessive, so we didn't bother after that. Would go all inclusive next time. Found the quality and variety of meals were very good and the large pool very clean and refressing. The grounds are very well maintained and the gardens lovely to walk around. Also found all staff very friendly and helpful, it helped when we tried a bit of French although not always getting it right, they did have a number of staff with very good English. The room was cleaned daily and a few days I came back to find the maid had been creative with my PJ bottoms and folded them into different shapes, made me smile! We used the free shuttle bus a few times and booked a car a few times, man in charge of transport was really helpful and attentive got things sorted out very quickly.
Entertainment staff were also very friendly and encouraged people to get involved (not my sort of thing but for others it appeared very enjoyable. Would definitely return

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
wolverhampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

The food is very good in the main, restaurant, don't bother with the Italian restaurant, bad food and no atmosphere. Don, t pay for the inside pool as it's not worth it. Nothing to do if the weather s bad, and transport is needed to go anywhere. I would recommend if the weather is hot, as there is nothing to do except sunbathe and swim.

Room Tip: The room we had was looking out onto the road, I am not sure what is being built, but a large digge...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
ACI_1987, Propriétaire at Eden Andalou Hotel Aquapark & Spa, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear customers,
The entire staff of the Eden Andalou join me in thanking you for taking the time to share your opinion with the readers of this site.
We are proud to have achieved your satisfaction and look forward to your next visit to the Eden to thank you in person.
Thousand Thanks.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Everything was wonderful food was really nice and my room was very comfortable I love everything about this place . Ps nanou was very kind and the stuff were very happy and helpful showed me around and teached me to some words in Arabic. Animation was very fun. I'm coming back definitely

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
DAGENHAM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

My mum booked this for a minibreak. Billed as 5 star hotel all inclusive. We were bit shocked on arrival we had to pay local taxes no one had told us this and we have nor had to pay this before. There could be more english speaking staff as it could get confusing with language barrier but overall they always tried to help. Very efficient when we rang from our room to send workman to fix things. There needs to be more information displayed to guests. Would describe as three to four star. Interior stunning as you arrive. In dining area curtains need a clean and overall we just felt the building needed bit of attention looked bit dirty outside in places. Rooms were spotless though cleaned day and the two fluffy blankets were lovely. Gift shop manager bit petty when mum was short ten dirhams so not happy wth her. Everyone else annimation team and staff helpful and friendly. Very disappointed free Italian meal no atmosphere hardly anyone in there and revolting starter smothered in too much oil made us choke main meal ok but lukewarm one waiter and he looked like he coudnt be bothered. Swimming pool cold but it was early march. spa really lovely could have gone in every day but you pay for the spa pool which was costly. Food quite good but fairly basic. Entertainment good. Medina was great at night but we eould have liked to have more time looking in souks. They hastle you so much you just want to leave after a while when they are running after you touching you to buy things. Enjoyed my stay and good base for visiting marrakesh.

• Stayed March 2014
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Had a very good experience, upon arrival at the hotel ensure an English information sheet is printed as they do offer one because sometimes ... Check in fine, rooms lovely, food lovely, pools beautiful and all the staff friendly, entertainment spectacular (very original) (are very helpful, amazing and funny) overall good holiday!!! Last but not least free minibus and service to the old town a big plus!!!!! Have a good holiday we did :)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

This is a very nice hotel,with good sized rooms,but,isolated. 15 minutes ride from Marakech,but,in a desolate area.
Nowhere to go in the daytime or evenings,other than Marrakech (no late transport) or expensive excursions.
Hotel is very pleasant,with two outdoor pools - one supposedly heated to 26*. Indoor Spa pool very small & badly designed,with integral jacuzzi - standing only and supposedly heated to 28*,very average changing rooms & costs over £12. Other spa facilities very expensive.
No signs of activity in the Aquapark - other than gardeners!
Food & drinks variety very good,with pleasant staff. Entertainment very poor.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Eden Andalou Hotel Aquapark & Spa? Share your experiences!