“Very disappointing!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #297 of 467 Hotels in Marrakech
Chelmsford
“Very disappointing!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Love Marrakech- loathed this hotel! So gutted to have stayed here when there are so many fab places to stay in the centre but we did it for the huge pool which is the best bit of the hotel.
Could put up the threadbare reception area but the female staff were consistently unhelpful and did their best to ignore us. The 'aqua park' is a chargeable extra and frankly I've seen better bogs in the bowels of Bangkok (that was going to be my title for this review). Faeces all over all the toilets, rubbish, filth and insects all over them - fat chance of any paper or soap! I told the receptionist who couldn't have cared less. The hotel-run taxi bus into the town (10/15 mins) is run by a very rude man who was openly hostile to us to the point we were paying for taxis at the end of the stay to avoid him. Another man who taxied us about (also a hotel employee) a few times was brilliant thankfully, as was the man in the jazz bar and the man who oversees the restaurants in the day - restored our faith a bit.
Will definitely be returning to Marrakech, what an amazing place, will not be put off by this hotel!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
MAZAR I, Responsable commercial at Eden Andalou Hotel Aquapark & Spa, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Dear client,

We read your review with a lot of attention despite your hard words and we are sorry that our hotel didn’t meet your expectations.

We don’t understand the causes of this attack against the toilets of the lobby. They are cleaned up 3 times every day. According to the other reviews, the cleanliness is one of our assets with the interior design and the equipments (in particular our 3 swimming pool). We have opened a fourth swimming-pool in June especially designed with 3 toboggans. A lot of families enjoy that extra pool for an afternoon.
We took note of your remarks about the staff and we are sorry if some of them gave you the impression not to be concerned due to the period of fasting. We have adapted the number of people in each team in order to be sufficient to keep a similar quality of service.

We regret that you cannot find what you was looking for.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We were slightly concerned when booking this hotel due to the rather mixed reviews but were glad we did! We came with our 2 children (aged 3 and 6) for a long weekend as we had wanted to visit Marrakech for a while. We had booked with the hotel direct and arranged a transfer from the airport - we came to arrivals and the hotel sign was there but with nobody to meet us! He soon appeared and took us in the air conditioned bus to the hotel with information along the way. Reception was quiet but we were greeted by a hotel relations member of staff who told us our room wasn't ready for another hour. This was annoying as we had told them on our original booking when we would be arriving. Also at this stage, we were hot, tired and the kids very restless - a welcome drink would have been very appreciated but we were offered nothing. The guest relations woman then offered us a small tour round the hotel which was helpful (her emphasis was on the spa even though she could see we had 2 bored children in tow??). On booking we had asked for a privilege room facing the mountains and not other rooms - we were shown to our room which was not facing the mountains but straight across to other room!. The porter was great and after a bit of explaining, organised a key to an alternative room which we chose. He explained that the rooms with views were 'closed'? After these few arrival niggles we then had a wonderful stay. The pool was huge, very clean, great pool service, nice music (ranging from Coldplay to Abba to Leo Sayer!) and the large 'relax beds' great to pop the children into in the shade. Beautiful gardens surrounding and a very relaxing atmosphere. Lunch was really great (we were not all inclusive so chose to not have the buffets) - fab pizza, pasta and burgers with brilliant, helpful, friendly waiters and waitresses - nothing was a problem to them. Our room was fine - clean with comfortable beds, good air conditioning and excellent housekeeping (the kids loved the shapes their nightclothes were folded into!). The breakfast was adequate but very unimaginative - we did get bored of hard boiled eggs, beef sausages, toast and jam and rather hard bread rolls day after day - maybe omelettes, fried eggs or hams would have been nice? We ate at the Fez Restaurant several nights and even though a little slow for the food to arrive, we found the Moroccan food very nice, again the service friendly and the live music excellent. We commend the hotel on its waiting staff, the pool, housekeeping and the food in the lunch and Fez restaurants.

Room Tip: There is a singer who entertains to guests in the hotel square outside the bars and restaurants and...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I have just returned home from a long weekend at the Eden Andalou and although I was a bit worried about my stay after reading the reviews on here, I can honestly say I had a great time and the reviews have been harsh.
On arrival I was a little dissappointed as it isnt a 5* hotel, more like a 3* but I was prepared for that from the reviews. Staff were extremely friendly and welcoming throughout the stay. We had a few minor issues with our room but all of these were dealt with within 24hrs.
The pool bottom looked filthy and someone was cleaning it on our first day there and all it was was sand which is unavoidable but once he had spent a long time in 48 degree heat, bless him, it was again perfect. Yes it was cold but in those heats you wouldnt want anything more but I wouldn't say it was freezing, just refreshing. Only gripe was that there was not enough shade and although they had Umbrella stands, there was not enough umbrellas, about 5 in total.
I was surprised to see it was very quiet due to being in the height of the Summer season but as it was slightly outside the town, I could understand.
Food, breakfast was not my cup of tea but I'm fussy but there was lots of choice but maybe not for fussy eaters like myself or children as I know my children would have struggled with it. I saw no flies around the ood like some have said and we had an early flight departure so saw the breakfast get laid out and it was fresh. Lunch was much better and have no complaints there whatsoever, ranged from approx 60dirhams upwards, drinks from 20dirhams and all very tasty. Dinner we only ate at the hotel on the last day in Les Fez which was very quite with Morrocan music being plated live which was lovely and food was a little more being approx 160dirham for a tagine which was gorgeous which my much demanded vegetables which I missed. Alcohol is quite expensive but expected in a Muslim country.
Room was adequate for our needs with air conditioning which was needed which is not anywhere else in the building which surprised me, being a hot country. We slept well with no disturbances, not even the chants of the prayers, just the birds on awaking which was nice.
Entertainment was limited but Housni entertained us with Aquafit and poolside music of all tastes. Thanks Housni for the banter and I remembered my promise :) It could do with better entertainment but I'm sure our group entertained the visitors and we even got some to join in :)
All in all, we had a fab time and I wouldn't want anyone put of going there. More for groups and couples than families but if you want a relaxing holiday, then the hotel is for you.
Lots of potential here and just hope they enjoyed us being there as much as we did lol ;)

Room Tip: If you have any issues, just tell them, they will help but if you don't tell them then you won...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
MAZAR I, Responsable commercial at Eden Andalou Hotel Aquapark & Spa, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Mrs.,

Many thanks for your constructive and detailed feedback. First, we are very pleased that you have enjoyed our hotel and we were happy to see your group so enthusiastic during your stay.

Indeed, we have known few days before your arrival some sandstorms and it messed up some facilities. We are sorry about it and we tried to clean it up as quick as possible. We point out the lack of umbrellas and we will add some of them next to the pool.

We look forward to your next visit,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Paying so little for a 5 star hotel I was concerned about what the hotel would be like, but myself and the 2 friends who I travelled with were really pleased with our stay. The room was lovely and very clean. The pool area was clean and peaceful (a few more sun shades would be good, but we could drag our loungers under a tree so this wasn't a problem). The staff were all very friendly and all spoke from basic to excellent English.

The food in the a la carte restaurant was good compared to other food that we had eaten in morocco. The buffet had a good range of dishes and contrary to what was said on other reviews I didn't see that the food was unfresh or covered in flies.

The hotel is a little far from the centre of Marrakech, but they offer a free shuttle service.

I would fully recommend this hotel, for the price that you pay it offers really good value.

• Stayed August 2012
MAZAR I, Responsable commercial at Eden Andalou Hotel Aquapark & Spa, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear Sir,

Many thanks for sharing your experience in our hotel. Your constructive feedback is really appreciated and we are truly pleased that you have been satisfied during your stay in Marrakech.

We look forward to your next stay.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

FILTHY rooms in the hotel - had to change rooms 3 times and the Manager couldnt understand why - maybe he should try his own hotel accommodation!!! The first 2 rooms had dead cockroaches, dead mosquitos splatted on the walls..and wait for it - dead insects ON THE BED!! The maid came in and we told her and her answer "oh ok"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Staff are SO rude and the reception staff are just unhelpful and dont really care about anything. The hotel is a good size and the pool is huge but you could see the dirt IN the pool - there was a HUGE nail at the bottom of the pool and kids were jumping in without noticing - not exactly good Health and Safety.

The food selection was really poor - I have seen better in the cafes in the main square!!

Am really APPALLED with this hotel being a 5* - it should be a basic 3* as nothing about it is really 5*!! Who rated this hotel!??!?!

WOULD NEVER USE THIS HOTEL EVER AGAIN!!!! I would suggest that you pay the extra and go to a decent hotel as I would hate to imagine what this hotel is like during busy seasons!!!

Room Tip: If you have to go to this hotel (for whatever reason!) then make sure its a pool facing room and on...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
MAZAR I, Responsable commercial at Eden Andalou Hotel Aquapark & Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thanks for your comment, even if we have been very surprised about it, we would try to answer as much as possible to the most objective points.
Concerning the rooms, we really take care about their cleanness and we always check them before the check-in. However, you should know that there are lots of insects with the current climate and the heat in Marrakech. It is possible that some of them entered in your room when you opened your window. We are sorry about that.
As soon as we read your post about the nail, we have informed promptly the technical staff. There are at the moment checking the surroundings of the main swimming pool. Moreover, our swimming-pool is regularly cleaned up.

We are sorry that our hotel doesn’t match your tastes.

Regards,
Casablanca, Morocco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

This is by far the terrible 5 stars (I don't know how it got it) I ever had to stay in.
I had an all inclusive deal 2 weeks ago and it was a nightmare.

When We arrived, the rooms were not cleaned and we had to wait till 3:00 PM with a temperature of 46°. My baby was suffocating. No welcome cocktails, no fresh water to catch-up the situation.
Coming to the room in itself, we shared it with flies, mosquitos and dirty walls! Shower was broken.
Food was not good and they were thinking making some savings by serving the minimum of food.
You want a bottle of water, give me your room number because it will be charge to you in an all-inclusive formula!!

The juices served had more water than "concentrate of juice" because they added water to not-frech juices.

I have requested a bed for my baby. They promised to bring it to me by 5:00PM the first day. I have never seen it despite my several reminders (call, attending the reception, etc...)

Coming to the restaurant services guys, they have nothing to do with services, very rude, no will to help. I am services Manager since more than 20 years and I can recommend one thing to the general managaer: either you fire your team and hire professional guys or send them for trainings.
One of the weird thing is that they were cleaning the tables and gather dirty plates and put them close to certain tables where people were eating which were far from the conveniences and hygiene rules!

The last days, we called for porter for our baggages, no one picked up the phone. We had to walk for hundred of meters with our bagages and baby to reach the reception. When we asked why the phone was not picked-up, I was shocked to hear the guy/lady saying: "I give up",I can't manage these problems.

Last point was the management of car parking: a total mess!!!

The only positive thing was the activities organizer in the swimming pool who was doing amazing job.

For sure, I won't recommend it for rest. You will struggle to have what you paid for.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Just come back from a great holiday to Kefalonia and decided to finally write about the Eden Andalou Spa & Resort as it highlights how bad the place was. Had a groupon deal for myself, my wife 1 year old and my parents. Everything was a problem for the staff, and we found them rude and stroppy. probably easier if i list my complaints
*No kettle to boil water- had to order and wait ages for a coffee pot with enough water for 1 bottle( if the pot was clean).
*no iron, v expensive ironing service, so we all walked around wrinkly.
* £6 for an ice-cream, they then ran out, but get this, we weren't allowed to bring in any food from outside the hotel???????
toddler pool was closed for 2 days to have the canopy repaired, so no swimming, no worries. Once fixed i found small razor sharp shards of metal from the welding machine in the pool, took them to reception......nothing. Next day still there.
lots of other gripes, food , not nice.
nursery, not open as they followed french half term dates even though there were children at the hotel ( it was uk half term).
Free spa treatment was nice, but was told to vacate the pool after 5 mind due to cleaning.
Final straw was when i was told i hadn't paid and had to go into the managers office , open my lloyds online account and point to the payment. Apology?????? NAH!!!!
CRAP HOLIDAY AND WAS GLAD TO LEAVE

Room Tip: ground floor if you have toddlers as the room we had on the first floor had no window lock and no gu...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Eden Andalou Hotel Aquapark & Spa? Share your experiences!