“the best experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #277 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
Nottingham
“the best experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Me and my partner stayed in Eden Andalou mid September 2011 for 4 days on a Groupon voucher. Before I left to Morocco I was reading the reviews on this page and was really frightened after all the bad reviews about Eden Andalou.

I am not sure how so many people can't find it a great place because we did. The staff were so obliging- with booking us taxis VERY LAST MINUTE to go the Chez Ali Fantasia, with the shuttle service, with any questions we had. They were absolutely terrific - from the receptionists, to the pool guys, to the cleaning people, to the porters.

Okay, maybe the lady at the Spa Centre was a bit off-standish at first, but after a bit of patience and cautious treading she was really helpful too. I think more people who visit should be a little more understanding of I don't know, the culture or tradition maybe - the way they do things may just be different! And may need a different approach than what we'd take back home in the West.

The hotel was a bit far out I agree, but there is a FREE shuttle service running to and fro from the hotel. There is also a public bus that drives right past the hotel the whole day! I can't remember off the top of my head which it is but ask at reception. If you want a little adventure, I recommend taking the public bus into town and back. It's such a different experience - and only costs 4 Dhs each! (Also helpful if you miss a shuttle service, and if you want to get into town really early for whatever reason)

Also, we were a bit tucked away at the rear of the hotel, but so what! It's a 3 minute walk to get to the pool and the restaurant! And we got one card key for our room but just ask for another if it is so imperative that you need one.

Me and my partner feel we really got our money's worth and I think people should stop complaining about petty things and get on with it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

Like many others, I have visited this hotel with a Groupon voucher. The voucher was for 3 nights. We gave up and checked out after 2...

I have been to Marrakech before and have stayed in 4 different places all together and this was the worst possible option ever.

OK, let me start from the small pluses - the hotel is beautiful. The design is really impressive. The food buffet for breakfast and dinner was very good, we enjoyed the mixed - Moroccan and continental dishes. Our room and bathroom were spotless. We still keep laughing that the cleaners over there are the only reliable employers.

Now the bad stuff - I just can't describe how many times we felt ignored by the reception people. They were very rude as well. When at one time my partner finally lost his patience and asked if he could speak to the manager or the person who was in charge, the first response was - 'But why?'... Not professional at all and very bad manners!

We have been given a room quite far from the reception and 2 minutes after we closed the door, we got a call from them that one of us has to IMMEDIATELY come back to sort out the 12 euro per night extra charge for a pool side room. Ok, they mentioned that they didn't have any standard rooms left in the email and asked if we would like to take the pool side one with the extra charge, but they really could have added it to the final bill and not make us run around straight after our flight. Also, as we checked out after 2 nights, we should have been given 12 euro for the last night back and it never happened.

We had a constant problem with the room card lock. First we noticed that we only got one card, then both of the cards kept blocking and we ended up running back to the reception to get another one. Once again a big THANKS to the cleaning girls who if they were around, always helped us and opened the door with their card. And why they couldn't give us a card that would work is a secret I will never understand...

I am not even mentioning that the hotel itself is outside Marrakech and you need to get a bus or taxi to get to the city, cause we knew that before we got the voucher. But as we read that they have the bus shuttle, we thought it would not be a problem. Then we discovered that the bus service to and from the city is very unreliable and the reception girls have mixed information about the time schedule. We were first told that the last bus from the main square to the hotel is at 10.30pm and then another girl told us it was 8pm. We used it just once to go to the city and then came back by taxi as it simply was much easier.

The waitresses at the jazz bar just couldn't care less about doing their job. We waited for ages for someone to serve us and then again to get the drinks.

I knew from my previous visits that Marrakech is pretty expensive and good restaurants will have the same prices like in London, but still they managed to surprise us... A total rip off!

The hammam and spa stuff is totally disorganized. I was once left in the changing room for about 15 minutes waiting for someone to come and take me for a massage. And why couldn't I wait in the relaxing area by the pool?

I would never ever stay there again and I highly recommend that anyone who is considering it, search elsewhere as there are many wonderful places in and around Marrakech and there is no need to stay in this hotel and stress out on your holidays...

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

I can see why the reviews were mixed, I was there for 5 days and still couldn't decide if it was good or bad. Travelling with 2 young children, on days when sick of venturing into the Madina (20 mins bus/cab (£10 away) and the sun is out, it was a great place to relax around the pool and have a nice lunch in the pool side restaurant. Spotlessly clean, well-designed large family room perfect for family of 4.

Negatives
1) unheated pool- already very cold in October
2) Very expensive for any basic staff - typical of resort not walking distance from any shop
3) Restaurants in the evening are adequate (expensive = UK price) but did not try the Morrocan one
4) Slightly off handed attitudes from all the male managers
5) Check you bill carefully on check-out. I did (unusual for me) and sure enough, 2 mistakes

Certainly not 5 stars, more of a 4 stars such as the SwissInn in Dahab.

Can't see why we will go there again really, if I want excitement, I will stay in a raid in the madina, or with young family, I will go to Tenerife or Red Sea any day! or at least somewhere with a heated pool in October. or Martinhal in Sagres any day.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Heerhugowaard, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

Mid September 2011 we enjoyed our wonderful stay in Eden Andalou.
We would like to recommend Eden Andalou for couples without children.
When you get married or are just married or married for a long time and need a refreshment or just for relaxing you should stay here for a while and will never regret.
Of course the weather is attractive. Besides the hotel, rooms and swimmingpool are luxery and relaxing, breakfast and dinner are fine and pleasant service of the staff. Take a break to the hammam and enjoy a massage. You can take the bus for free to the near centre of beautiful Marrakech. Anymore? Find it out yourself, but do not hesitate and go for it.
Of course we are going to return and have recommended it to our friends and family.
Adri and Marga

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

We, an over-60's couple, bought this as an Groupon deal, at a very attracitve price. Can't comment on value for money for others, but we were delighted with our stay.Everything was as we were promised, including the transfers which the hotel arranged.Breakfast each day was an ample and generous number of choices; our deal included 3 dinners in The Atlas Restaurant, equally good. Wonderful room, huge, comfortable bed and daily fluffy whiter towels and good toillatries. Pools and lounging areas beautifully presented, with about 12 covered 4-poster loungers, perfect for children, babies and anyone who wants to make a day of it.Spotless. Staff were all very happy with OK French, though most could manage some English.Complimentary transport into the city. Lovely gardens, private sitting outside our room. The deal included 3 massages, hammam and use of the nice indoor pool, which I can recommend, though I thought that the extra we paid for a scrub was not worth the £20ish we each paid. We were well looked after in a quiet, unflashy way.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ground floor with a private sitting area out of view. Our room was No 153!
Bournemouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Hotels & cruise boats in North Africa almost invariably claim to be 5 star - there's no trading standards laws, I presume. As others have said, 3 or maybe just 4 star is about right by British standards for the Eden Andalou, especially as it looks in need of a bit of refurbishment here and there. But - the Groupon price is about 2 star at most, so we were well satisfied. Bearing this in mind, it's unfair, for example, to criticise food as unimaginative or 'Western' style - at the price being charged, what can you expect ? Haute cuisine ?

It's also true that service occasionally lapsed in the week we were there - swimming pool running out of towels with no phone link for the pool boy to order more brought, shuttle bus overbooked with no extra bus laid on at peak times - but to focus merely on drawbacks is not balanced. There were loads of good things as well: buffet at breakfast and dinner in the main restaurant meant helping yourself to as much as you liked of whatever you fancied; bedrooms were spacious, well-appointed and comfortable (though I admit we were well away from the cabaret); staff were friendly and obliging, so I guess we didn't come across any grumpy ones; rate of exchange for dirhams was almost identical to what you'd get in town (and far better than Thomas Cook, for example); and, says the wife, the spa massage was wonderful.

So, be fair to the hotel, Groupon customers ! Just one tiny word of warning - the tour company which has a franchise and office at the hotel is pretty expensive for excursions and airport transfers !

Room Tip: As for a standard suite at the far end of the hotel, away from the cabaret. Unless they're goi...
Derby
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

Not impressed. The Groupon deal is good value and the food reasonable, but the hotel is looking a little tatty now, and would not call it 5*. Pool towels were often unavailable and general service was patchy. The worst gripe was the continuous pop music – started at 10am in the pool area (we found we could escape round the side of one of the buildings) and in the central open area between 6pm and late, very, very loud and permeated everywhere. There was nowhere to have a quiet drink, and in our room which was facing the pool you could hear the bass.
You can escape if you pick the right table in the Fes restaurant, which actually features live local music.
There is an hourly shuttle bus service in to the city which is good and free – just as well as the hotel is very isolated and there is nowhere you can walk to.
We loved the city centre – the souks and the square, where you can eat at the stalls in the evening. There is a ‘cyberpark’ not too far away where there is free wifi. The hop on-hop off tourist bus is worth doing.

Room Tip: Opposite from pool area and as far away from the central area as possible unless you like loud pop m...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Eden Andalou Hotel Aquapark & Spa? Share your experiences!