“Groupon deal review.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #289 of 462 Hotels in Marrakech
Bristol
“Groupon deal review.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

Like many others, I bought, not one but two Groupon deals to stay at Eden Andalou before I read the trip advisor reviews. I was very concerned when I read the reviews afterwards but there was little I could do by that point so I went with it anyway! I actually stayed on two separate occasions this summer.

Considering what we payed for the Groupon vouchers, the Eden Andalou was lovely! Like many others have said on here, it's not quite a 5 star. I can see how they are trying to be but they're not quite there. If I'd had payed 5 star prices expecting a 5 star resort then I would have been disappointed, but I didn't I bought a very good value Groupon deal and so I was very happy. The hotel was lovely, clean, nicely decorated. There are little things that let it down like the finishing on the tiling in the bathrooms is a bit rough, and the exterior of the hotel could do with repainting but overall it's lovely and very pleasant to stay in. The pools are all lovely and the staff were great - we didn't experience any rudeness from the staff as others have reported - they were all very friendly and helpful.

The "all you can eat" buffet style food was lovely and there was lots of choice. The breakfast was also great with lots of choice - although it's important to remember this a Muslim country so don't go expecting a full English!! But there is a huge choice of pastries, cereals, fruits, breads, yoghurt, juice and cooked eggs etc... They also offered a buffet lunch which was a bit pricey, and sold Crepes at the bar by the pool.

Everything is charged to your room and you pay for everything at the end of your stay - so its best to keep a tally of your drinks as they are quite pricey - they are charging 5 star bar prices for the drinks despite service, presentation etc.. not really being up to 5 star standard!

Bear in mind that the free shuttle bus in and out of Marrakech has to be pre-booked and only runs at certain times of day so check out the timetable when you get there and book any trips you want as the bus does get booked up. The last bus back to the hotel leaves quite early but it's worth staying on in the Medina and getting a taxi back later as Marrakech really comes alive later on. A taxi back to the hotel was roughly £15.

Also, if you have a Groupon deal that includes massages then book your massages when you arrive as they get booked up too. I found their massages quite light and personally I prefer more pressure so I had to ask the masseuse's for more pressure. But they were very friendly and happy to oblige. Just be aware.... if you're going in a group or a with family, they think nothing of putting you all in the same room and asking you all to strip off ready for your massages!! They cover everyone's faces with towels whilst they massage everyones bare chest areas!!! Bit uncomfortable when you are sharing a room with your parents or sister and sisters boyfriend as I was!!! Ladies, be warned, they do massage your bare boobies! Which was a shock to me at first!!

Overall we had a lovely stay here given what we'd paid. The weather was fantastic and the hotel was lovely. But if you are expecting 5 star luxury then you will be disappointed - whilst being beautifully decorated I would say this hotel was 4 star at the most.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool view - there is very little around the outside of the hotel to look at an...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this resort in May - I've only just gotten round to reviewing it . In truth if the weather is good, none of the many footling problems with this hotel will matter very much. The setting is lovely, the pool huge, the view from our room of the Atlas mountains wonderful , and the room itself very spacious and clean. It's also arguably nice to be a distance from the chaos of Marrakech, as long as you don't mind ordering your day according to the shuttle buses or catching the odd taxi cab back late at night. However, although the ordinary staff at the Eden Andalou are hard working and very keen to help, the middle management that run the place are largely hapless. Requests for information or assistance with problems inevitably led to quarrelsome squabbles between senior staff members while you stood there for minutes on end twiddling your thumbs - all rather jolly in its way if the sun's shining, but not when you're trying to sort something out (I made five separate requests for BBC World Service to be tuned in on our TV so we could enjoy one english language programme, but nobody ever appeared ). One word of warning - the food at the various restaurants is both pricey and distinctly ordinary, and every measure was taken to politely conceal the fact that at the main buffet restaurant you could, if you wished, order single meals - the lack of info on this point resulted in us having to choose the vastly expensive buffet option, even when we merely wanted a single plate of something. Needless to say when when we twigged the fact and mentioned this slight of hand to the avuncular restaurant manager, he smiled a complacent smile, shrugged his shoulders, and continued his endless parade round the tables looking for some poor waiter to scold. But you'll have a great time here - as long as the weather holds...

Room Tip: Get a view of the atlas mountains if you can
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

My husband and I booked this hotel through the groupon deal of 3 nights / 4 days, what we liked was that the hotel is far from the noise of the City and we enjoyed the beautiful scenery of the region it was wonderfull .Regarding the accommodation, the rooms were well equipped, what I liked most is Atlas View Suites,they were very confortable. There is no more beautiful than the pool, it's arrounded by beautifull flowers, the sun tickles your skin and gives it a perfect tan. when we are hungry,we go to the restaurant especially at fez,because we really like moroccan dishes and they are served us well, there we discovered the Fassi and the most refined Moroccan kingdom's cookin. The perfect thing in this hotel is that the standards of hygien are met. Before we leave, we really needed a relaxation session, it is available from Eden Andalou: Superb Andalusian Spa-center managed by a professional was very relaxing. Our holidays in EA really are fantastic and unforgetable, and we wished our stay was not finished yet, but we will be back as soon as possible and we will book the groupon deal of 6 nights/7 days.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

I booked this hotel via a Groupon deal. The resort is only 20mins or so from the airport. The weather from 11th Sept to 15th Sept when i was there must have been about 32 degrees. The hotel was clean, the rooms were lovely, bed was very comfortable. The only problem was the mosquitos! The bathroom was clean although it had no shower curtain so the floor was like a swimming pool after a shower. There is a safe in the room too. There is also air conditioning in the room and a TV that has BBC News.

Here are my pointers

1. Be aware that you will have to queue in Marrakesh airport to change you money into dirhams or change your money in the UK airport before boarding

2. Make sure you book your transfer from the airport to the resort with the hotel itself. It was only 16 euros for 2 people.

3. Be aware that you can check into the hotel from 3pm only. We got there at 11am and had to wait, although you could use the pool without checking in.

4. Take mosquito repellant, experienced a few bites in the room.

5. Breakfast and Dinner were buffet style and included in the hotel price although lacked choice.

6. Make sure you book your massages as soon as you get there as the slots get filled up very quickly.

7. Take the free shuttle bus into the Medina, takes about 20mins and they are regular back to the hotel once you've finished looking in the Souks.

8. Great that the hotel is in peace and quiet and away from the busy Medina.

9. Make sure you look after your money in the Medina, lots of beggars who harrass you.

10. Look after your little coupons that you are given from the hotel reception for your free pool towels, free dinners, free masssages and free shuttle trips that you may book. They are small bits of paper that can easily get lost and without them, you'll be lost!

11. Most of the staff speak basic English or polish up on your French before you leave!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

Yes you read it right!! But will get to that later!! Me and my friend have just spent a week in this hotel and although the hotel was fabulous, really lovely pools, nice big comfy bed and good facilities the majority of the staff brings the rating of this hotel right down. The staff are very unhelpful, there is no room for manoeuvre with rules, we took my 18 month old child and was not allowed a small portion of anything and when he ate not even a 1/4 of his meal we asked if we could take it back to the room for him later and we were told very aggressively 'NO NOTHING WILL LEAVE THIS RESTAURANT!!! Even though we had paid the excessive prices. The food and drink is very expensive talking £5 for a bottle of local beer Casablanca so ask for flag this is £3 but not offered at first.
We will list a couple of issues we came across that lead to us writing this review;

1. As part of the groupon deal you are supposed to get 3 massages which when you have to book these it’s like pulling teeth and they do not want to give you all 3 and say they are ' busy' but we made sure we got them.

2. You can’t just have a snack at night it’s either the overpriced buffet (£18) which is pretty poor or an expensive Italian.

3. The evening entertainment was repetitive - and when we say repetitive, that in short means exactly the same every night! There were 3 men on a keyboard, violin and singing, they were ok but to hear them 7 nights in a row singing 'no waman, no cry' EVERY night was almost on the verge of chinese water torture!!
4. The service is very slow and we asked for drinks and they never came, you feel very much its all about the ' signing' of your bill and not at all about you enjoying your holiday there is no happy holiday feel just that you are a pain in the you know what to them, YOU CANNOT PAY CASH FOR ANYTHING = Huge Bill at end. Don’t get me wrong we had a great holiday and enjoyed Marrakesh and we did laugh all this off it did not spoil our break but put a downer on it slightly.
We did find a top notch waiter called Youssef Nour who was very attentive and asked if you would like drinks and was very smiley and chatty which was a refreshing change.

5. The Baguette incident happened on our 2nd morning a lady with a small child was leaving the breakfast buffet with a baguette I’m presuming this was for her child when a man 'Moha' who patrols the dinner hall for 'bread bandits' and makes everyone very uncomfortable told the lady not to take the bread, minutes later after a heated discussion he man handled her and there was crumbs flying everywhere as he wrestled the baguette from her hands, the woman screamed out and was clearly upset by the altercation. (I have never seen anything quite like it).

In summary it was a relaxing holiday but the customer service leaves a lot to be desired!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Beni Mellal, Morocco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

This was my 2nd time visiting Eden Andalou, and it was even better this time around.

The hotel itself is just as beautiful with all of it's African decor and lush terrace, and all the familiar staff were still there. Olivier and his crew are still delivering top-notch service and atmosphere at a great price. It really is the "Coolest Riad in Marrakech". It's a great, little boutique hotel that is in a great location, only about a 5 minute walk from the Jemaa el Fna. It's a perfect choice for a romantic getaway, or couples retreat.

The music is always groovy, from classic reggae to more modern instrumental Arabic music and jazz, it really sets a cool tone. The terrace is still fantastic with all of its art and trees and plants. The food, breakfast, lunch and dinner was fantastic and served whenever it was asked for. Excellent service and friendly, multi-lingual staff.

The New Year's Eve Fiesta was absolutely great and the full house of guests had a great time with great, Gnawa musician and bellydancers. The food (and wine) was also amazing at the party. Beer and liquor was available too! Wow. Great party in a great place with great people. I didn't use the jazuzzi on the roof, but it sure looks good...

There is free wifi everywhere in the riad as well, including the rooms. What more could one ask for in accommodations?

I don't normally stay in the same place twice, but Eden Andalou is different. It's really a memorable small hotel, with memorable service and value. Thanks for everything Olivier and staff! Hopefully I will return yet again soon!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Like many of the reviewers, I had the Groupon Voucher for 4 days with hamam, massage & breakfast. After having read all the tripadvisor reviews I knew not to expect too much and that it was likely ot be hit and miss. Overall we had a nice time and was a great 4 day break by the pool relaxing and not doing much. However, as two females travelling together for our own safety we chose not to venutre out too much at night due to the distance of the hotel from the Medina and the difficulty in getting a return taxi without being completely ripped off.

The hotel itself was clean, we had a rather spacious room and the pools were lovely.
The upsides:
- We were there on quite a cheap deal, so worth the inclusions
- The free massages and hammam were quite nice. I had 2 good massages and one not so good one out of 3.
- Rooms were clean and hotel amentities were clean
- 1/2 board meant didn't need to leave the hotel if we didn't want to.
- The morroccan food in the breakfasts/dinners was quite nice, and seemed rather popular.
- We paid for organised transfers to and from the hotel, which were prompt, air conditioned and a good choice seeing as though the hotel is quite far away from the Medina.

The downsides:
- The customer service is rather bad, 30 minute wait to book the hotel shuttle, no maps of Medina or centre of Marrakech to give orientation of where the hotel shuttle drops you off in relation to everything else.
- The hotel is that its quite far away from the Medina and the hotel shuttle bus needs to be booked over a day in advance, otherwise you're stuck with Taxi's which aren't the most reliable or cheap.
- There was very little drinks service around the pool which meant either stalking a waiter when they walked past or walking up to the bar to order it yourself
- Meals and drinks at the hotel were rather expensive, however we had a package deal which included buffet breakfasts and dinners.

The hotel is definitely not 5 star, more 3-4 star, its a little old and outdated, but value for money if on a deal. I wouldn't pay full price to stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Eden Andalou Hotel Aquapark & Spa? Share your experiences!