“I am not one to get carried away but it is true what the others say...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Elizabeth

Save Saved
You added Riad Elizabeth to your Saves list
Riad Elizabeth
Derb el Baroud 33, Marrakech 40,000, Morocco   |
Ranked #16 of 460 Hotels in Marrakech
“I am not one to get carried away but it is true what the others say...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

You will probably have already read about the service received at the hotel. It really is 5 star. The owners were away on holiday but left the hotel in good hands. Beyond what is said elsewhere it is probably only worth mentioning that we came home at midnight most nights and were always met by the night porter outside to be escorted through the final 20 yards of alley. It seems the taxi driver ( the Omar guy you will have read about) calls ahead. A really nice touch.

The hotel interior is very nicely designed, balancing modern and traditional very well, someone here has a real flair for design. Rooms have some nice features albeit they cannot easily be described as 'all mod cons' as they lack tv, balcony, window and bath, not that you will notice. The one real negative is that sound, from the common areas and other rooms, carries in this hotel. Nothing ear plugs wouldn't fix though.

Didn't have an evening meal but the breakfast was fine and the terrace on which you eat was lovely.

If you want a base from which to explore this is the hotel for you, the location and service make it perfect. Any limitations in the hotel itself are more than made up for by the friendliness of the staff and the atmosphere created.

Note though, you might want to print a map of the old city at home to take with you, the riad Elizabeth doesn't provide the same quality of map as its competitors.

Very happy with this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Polish first
Stamford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

This is a wonderful, small riad in the medina in Marrakech. John & Elizabeth are fantastic hosts who genuinely want to ensure you have a perfect stay and a memorable trip to Marrakech. Samira is exceedingly helpful. She assisted in negotiating our parking rate, made several recommendations about what to do and to see, and helped us try to figure out how to use our US mobile phones in country. Even Yousef, the night guard, is helpful and accommodating.

The riad itself is located just a 5-10 minute walk from the Medersa and the Marrakech Museum. And then it's just a few steps further to the souks. John and Elizabeth volunteered to help us learn our way though the souk to the market, but we ventured out on our own and figured it out. It's a 20 minute walk to the Jemaa el-Fna market if you can navigate the quick route through the souk.

My biggest recommendation is to have dinner at the riad. John & Elizabeth offered this to us prior to our arrival. After 17 days in Morrocco, the dinner we had here was the best meal we had during the trip. Had we scheduled more time in Marrakech, I would have taken a cooking class with their chef. She served a variety of appetizers. Dinner was a fabulous Chicken Tagine and desert was an apple tart. We shared our meal with our friends and two other couples who were staying at the Riad as well.

The hospitality is warm. The decor is nice. The rooftop is lovely. And breakfast is delicious. The rooms are quiet and clean. It's an experience you'll enjoy!

I highly recommend Riad Elizabeth.

Room Tip: I saw three of the rooms and I don't think you can go wrong. All were very nice. There are 5 r...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Beautifully decorated Riad with a lush roof terrace to catch some afternoon sun after a busy day touring the City. The service was absolutely spot on and all staff couldn't do enough for you. The food was delicious and Samira's recommendations on where to dine out were fantastic too. John & Elizabeth were wonderful as well - I would definitely choose to stay at Riad Elizabeth again on my next trip to Marrakesh.

Room Tip: First floor rooms might be better as children like to play in the street to the front of the Riad at...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Very convenient location, stylish comfortable interiors, owned by a really genuine, lovely couple, backed up by a fab staff. Best tagine we had in Marrakech too.Elizabeth even took the trouble to give us an escorted tour around the Souk. Can't recommend them highly enough- would happily stay again-and again if given a hint of a chance!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
UK, Warrington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

First rate riad, first rate service. There's not a great deal more I can add to the previous reviews , it really is a good as they say. There were 3 of us staying in two rooms, Louise and Olivia. One was one of the cheaper rooms, the other the most expensive. No matter - I would have been happy with any, they are all beautifully decorated and stylish. John and Elizabeth are fantastic hosts. They really want to you to get the most out of your stay in Marrakech. My husband went to the Bains de Marrakech and raved about it. We had a tour of the medina on our first day, to try and familiarise ourselves with the maze that is Marrakech medina. Having said that we got totally lost the next evening! Elizabeth kindly took us out again the next morning and calmed our fears, we never got lost again. Samira was an excellent manager and organised all our restaurant bookings. I can particularly recommend le fondouk, la salama and le cafe de la grande poste. She also recommended and evening at the lotus club, which was great. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Marrakech and will definitely stay there again when we return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

his is my first ever review on Trip Advisor, but I was so impressed by the Riad Elizabeth, that I felt compelled to review my experience.
I was lucky enough to be recommended the Riad by a friend of mine who had stayed a year previous. I booked a four day trip as a surprise birthday present for my partner. From the moment I booked, the owners and staff at the Riad Elizabeth staff were on the end of an email and ready to help. They were able to recommend restaurants and trips and were kind enough to organise many of them on my behalf. A lovely meal was prepared for us on arrival and our traditional Moroccan breakfast each morning was yummy.

My partner and I were lucky enough to meet the owners, both of which were positively charming. John made a real effort each morning to speak to each of his guests, find out about their experience and be on hand to offer them advice. But I can't finish this review without mentioning the Riad Elizabeth's fantastic manager: Samira (hopefully I have spelt that right). She was an absolute star throughout our stay, going out of her way to ensure our transfers, taxis, trips, meals and anything else was booked for us. She offered to show us around the Medina to ensure we felt comfortable navigating the complex streets and was just generally a lovely friendly presence during our stay.

Couple of tips for fellow travellers: definitely take a trip to Le Bains de Marrakech Spa, it was the highlight of our trip. The medina is complex to navigate so an English speaking tour guide would be useful. When coming home at night (or for that matter in the day), don’t ask the locals for directions unless you want to pay for it. You may think they are just being helpful, but they expect to get paid.

As a girl, I was worried about unwanted male attention and also what to wear. There was really nothing to be worried about. There were female tourists dressed in a variety of outfits (some of which I wouldn’t have considered to be appropriate for Morocco) but the locals didn’t seem to mind.

I was dubious about such universally positive reviews, but I can honestly say that the service we received in the Riad Elizabeth was better than the 5 star hotels we have stayed in. We will definitely be back to stay in the near future. Thanks to all the staff for making our stay so special.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Blackburn, Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We have been visiting Marrakech & Esseauira since 2007, and have stayed each year at Riad Elizabeth since their opening in 2009. Each of the 6 rooms are named after John & Elizabeth's daughters, our favourite being Olivia. The Riad, albeit traditional in shape & structure, has been lovingly restored & decorated in a modern take of Moroccan style, colours and textures - pink walls on the Terrace, and black, red and grey in the Rooms and public areas. The Plunge pool is beautiful and is inviting following a day in the Souks & Sight Seeing. This year we arrived very late in the evening and Bahija, the fantastic Cook, had prepared our favourite Harira Soup, with bread, followed by a delightful Fruit Salad & Cream - a wonderful midnight Feast served by Yousef the Night Guardian.
Marrakech is our 'bolt hole' at the end of a busy year, and will continue to be so, in sha allah, with our old friends at Riad Elizabeth. Many thanks to John, Elizabeth and their wonderful 'Team' for making this stay once again, a brilliant one !!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Elizabeth? Share your experiences!