“Faultless hotel, unforgettable stay & perfect hosts in timeless city.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Elizabeth

You added Riad Elizabeth to your Saves list
Riad Elizabeth
Derb el Baroud 33, Marrakech 40,000, Morocco   |
Ranked #31 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Faultless hotel, unforgettable stay & perfect hosts in timeless city.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Me and my girlfriend had 2 days and 1 night to stay over in Marrakesh. We were not sure what to expect from the city, neither of us had been to Marrakesh before, and while we really wanted to explore we didn't know how or where to start. The Riad Elisabeth was a revelation!

When we got dropped off by the taxi we were slightly apprehensive at the narrow street and simple door, but it opened up into an oasis of calm and tranquillity! We were welcomed with tea, and were lucky enough to meet Elisabeth, who owns the Riad with her husband. We were staying in 'Olivia' – and the room was charming! Beautifully decorated, with a mix of modern and Moroccan decor, certainly of the standard and style you would expect from a boutique hotel in the UK. Everything was clean and working. There was nothing pretentious, the room, like the hotel, exceeded our expectations.

Elisabeth was kind enough to give us a tour of the market, we went for an afternoon tea and she told us about life in Marrakesh. That evening, we had dinner on the rooftop along with the other guests. The food was incredible. We had Moroccan salads, a selection of tagines (including a vegetarian option for my girlfriend) and excellent wine. I feel compelled also to mention that the coffee was really, really good.

A Riad naturally encourage guests to meet and socialise on the rooftop. We were lucky enough to spend a most enjoyable evening with some really interesting people. We consider ourselves really lucky to have been to this hotel, I only wish we had longer. I would thoroughly recommended to anyone visiting Marrakesh and we plan on going back again.

To finish, thank you to Elisabeth, John and all the staff for making our short stay so absolutely perfect.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

To summarise first, Riad Elizabeth is excellent and we have no hesitation in recommending it as a friendly and convenient place to stay in Marrakech.

We booked Riad Elizabeth for our first visit to Marrakech, before which we were faced with a bewildering choice accommodation-wise; we made the right choice. Set amongst the organised chaos of the North Medina, Riad Elizabeth offers an oasis of calm and tranquillity and, importantly after a tiring journey, a very friendly welcome. Even before we had arrived, John and Elizabeth made every effort to ensure that our stay was hassle free by providing information and advice that helped us not only plan for our holiday but also enjoy it all the more after we had arrived. They arranged airport transfers, booked a Hammam for us (Les Bains de Marraech) and provided advice about a whole range of things including some excellent restaurants. While we were there, they remained interested in how our stay was going and how their recommendations had worked out; which they all did.

The Riad has a rooftop terrace where you have breakfast (and dinner on the first evening if required) and we found the food to be excellent. The terrace also offers the opportunity to relax during the day, either in the shade or the direct sun. The nice thing about this aspect was that they don’t want to get rid of your during the day like most hotels do which was good for us as we wanted to just relax for the last couple of days stirring only to venture out for lunch and then later, dinner. The terrace also has an honesty bar which was put to good use!

On the subject of venturing out, we were advised to have dinner in the Riad on the night of our arrival as you will almost certainly get lost unless you know where you are going; this was good advice. On our first morning however, Dagmara (John and Elizabeth’s extremely helpful assistant) showed us the way through the twisting alleyways, the souks and to the main square. During our walk she provided us with a mass of information from tips on bartering to how to cope with the children who will be only too happy to take you to the square for 50 dirhams. Once Dagmara had shown us the way, it was a piece of cake afterwards.

Riad Elizabeth has a small number of comfortable rooms so it never seems too crowded and. The décor of the place is nice and simple but very smart at the same time. Several exceptions to this simplicity are the literally “cracking” toilets, the walls of which are lined with fragments of glass (on purpose) but make you stand back when first used.

In summary again, Riad Elizabeth is run by charming people who have excellent staff and provided us with a fantastic backdrop to our first visit to Marrakech.

Thank you to all.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed at the Riad for two nights and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Communications with Elizabeth prior to my arrival meant I really got to make the most of my short stay as she provided me with very helpful advice and information. The taxi Elizabeth arranged waited for me even though I was delayed over an hour, I am glad I opted for this as I would have been daunted being a solo traveller.

The Riad is very clean and very stylish, there are authentic touches that really give it a Moroccan feel - I especially love the soap provided!

I ate at the Riad one night and being a fussy vegetarian was delighted by the options available. The food was very fresh, tasty and exceeded my expectations.

The sun terrace is a little oasis, great to retreat to after the hustle of the streets. The Riad is in a great location, short distances to lots of attractions and the Riad manager gave me very clear directions so I avoided getting too lost!

Contrary to previous review I was met with tea on arrival ;) !

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

Riad Elizabeth lives up to the idea that a guest feels like he's staying in a home, not a hotel. For one, the place feels warm and cozy, and you feel the owners' hospitality from the time you contact them for an inquiry until the end of your stay.

Being first time visitors to Morocco and Marrakech, I had many questions and Elizabeth was consistently helpful with answers, tips, and referrals-- even before I finally confirmed our booking. Before we arrived, she made sure to get in touch with us to confirm all arrangements like the car pick up, the dinner, and the other activities that we asked her to arrange. During our stay, John, Dagmara, and the rest of the staff made sure we were well. The dinner they prepared for us on our first night was very good. The tips they gave on where to go, how much to pay for things, and how to get home from the labyrinth of the souks and the medina were all very good. The guests were interesting people with whom we found things in common.

The chaos in the medina could be assaulting to a first-timer. Riad Elizabeth made sure we had a nice homey place to go back to every night.

Our thanks go to the owners and staff.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

My fiancee and I stayed for two nights at this riad and had a really great experience. It's been recently renovated and has a very modern, chic, boutique hotel feel. We had a really great experience from the very helpful staff and super-friendly owners - John showed a real interest in us without being too imposing. I particularly like that they went out of their way to provide really clear directions to get there down what can be very confusing Marrakech streets.

We stayed at another riad earlier in the trip (riad layla rouge) which means we can make some helpful comparisons and describe what this place is and is not:

What it is:
- well-priced but certainly feels high end
- VERY comfortable stylish design
- Awesome Air con
- Good roof terrace
- Romantic
- Feels like you're being looked after by a family

What it is not:
- Traditional. Although this is a riad and there are friendly moroccan staff it feels like a European hotel (albeit a classy boutique style). We didn't have tea offered to us immediately upon arrival for example.
- Cheap. You definitely can find cheaper options in Marrakech if you're on a budget. I thought the meal was very overpriced (especially since there was too much food to eat - there are cheaper places to eat out) and the taxi to the airport they booked for us was at least 3 times more than we could have got on the street.

So bearing in mind these points and the target market for this riad and I think it's a wonderful option. For us, it was a great treat at the end of our holiday and a nice trade up from the cheaper option we started the trip with.

riadelizabeth, Owner at Riad Elizabeth, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
First of all thank you, it is always nice to receive a 5 star review, however there are couple of points to which I feel I should respond.
I tried to work out which guests wrote this review, but couldn't, as I wanted to see if I could find out why they weren't offered tea on arrival, which we always do, and wondered if they had arrived very late at night, or just in time for dinner, making the tea and cakes better saved until the next day.
Dinner in the Riad is 240 dhs (£20) which we think is good value, we don't have a menu as such, Bahija, our wonderful cook, shops in the morning at the market for local, seasonal and usually organic produce, and buys, within our guidelines, what she thinks looks best on the day...and then creates her magic!! We may be a little biased, but we think that she cooks the best Moroccan fare in Marrakech!! A typical meal consists of a selection of Moroccan salads followed by a tagine of eg chicken and preserved lemon or beef with prunes and almonds, with cous cous and vegetables and a light desert. Water and tea or coffee are included.
The company we use for our airport transfers charge 15€ to meet and greet the arrivals in the arrivals hall, often waiting over an hour, help with their suitcases, drive them in a clean and well maintained 4x4 to the door of the Riad, and to escort the guests and suitcases to the door. You may, if you are very lucky, find a small taxi (usually delapidated) to bring you for around 100 dhs (10€), three times less definately not, and in the experince of most guests who choose to find a taxi themselves it is usually considerabley more from the airport. For that you would have to carry your cases out of the airport, find a taxi, haggle for a price, and you would be dropped a walk away form the door of the Riad necessitating the use of a man with a hand cart to transport the cases, for which you would have to pay.
Glossop, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

We went to Marrakech to celebrate my partners 40th Birthday. John & Elizabeth were extremely helpful to me in the time coming up to our stay & were very fast to respond with queries & questions about visiting Morocco - for instance money exchange & import limits etc. They also managed to organise a taxi transfer to (& from) the airport to Riad Elizabeth & also organised an evening meal for us in the Riad, with their own cook, as we would be arriving late. All of this I paid for by bank transfer in advance, meaning that I didn't need to worry about obtaining Dirhams before that first night.
Our flight was delayed by more than an hour & I was a little concerned that our taxi driver may not be there, but this was not the case - John & Elizabeth use regular taxi drivers whom they trust.
As we were late arriving at the Riad (we were the only guests staying there for the first 2 days & it felt like we'd won the lottery & had our own staff!), we were delighted to find out that not only was dinner ready whenever we were, but also staff had stayed on late in order to make sure that not only were we waited on hand & foot, but also that we had all the necessary paperwork filled out & we were familiar & happy with the Riad by the manager (Dagmara). She also explained that she would be around first thing tomorrow morning & that she would help us find our bearings & get around a bit (she used to work for a tour company - very useful!). A permanent night doorman is also there, should you need anything during the night & for security.
The next morning Dagmara met with us over breakfast (freshly prepared, delicious, more than enough to set you up for a hard day's bartering in the Souk (!) & indeed you can order things like a "traditional Moroccan Breakfast" should you wish to). Dagmara is a mine of knowledge & helped us understand some of the more useful aspects about getting around in Marrakech, along with phrases & some interesting history points! She then took us on a guided tour to the Souk (10 minutes gentle walk), through the Souk (very confusing the first time!) & through to the main square (a further 10 minutes gentle walk through the Souk). All in all therefore the main square is about 15-20 minutes gentle walk from the Riad (about 10 minutes if you pressed on). Dagmara also advised us how to change our money - best places & rates etc. She booked us a restaurant for Claire's birthday, which was wonderful & also booked her a hammam & associated beauty treatments (all beyond me, I'm afraid - I went people watching over a coffee or two in the square!).
Overall, nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff - John & Elizabeth have a wonderful Riad, in a superbly quiet location (the roof terrace with a cool beer at night, is an incredible little oasis away from the hustle of the main Square & Souk), it's SO well appointed & beautifully & tastefully decorated.
However, it's always the service & the "above & beyond" levels of service which make the differences. Our jobs allow us to stay at some of the world's nicest hotels - all 4 & 5 star - & yet the quality of service, attention to detail & "nothing-too-much-trouble-attitude" we experienced at the Riad Elizabeth by all the staff there and John & Elizabeth were at least as good as anything we've experienced before & indeed in many cases exceeded ANYTHING you'd expect to get in a 5 star hotel!
Needless to say, we will recommend the Riad Elizabeth to anyone who wishes to visit Marrakech & will definitely be returning ourselves!
Thanks to everyone at the Riad Elizabeth for making Claire's birthday so special.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "Olivia" room, which was sensational! However, if you are a light sleeper...
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

stopped for a five day break and were royally looked after by John, Elizabeth and their happy band of workers who were only too pleased to help us in any way they could. Breakfast was served on the roof terrace each morning and the amount of food provided was tasty and more than enough to set us up for the day. I would have no qualms about reccomending this riad to my freinds

Room Tip: No Problems with any of the Rooms
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Elizabeth? Share your experiences!