“Boutique hotel meets Morocco styling” 5 of 5 stars

Riad Elizabeth
Derb el Baroud 33, Marrakech 40,000, Morocco   |
Ranked #16 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
London
“Boutique hotel meets Morocco styling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

My fiancee and I stayed for two nights at this riad and had a really great experience. It's been recently renovated and has a very modern, chic, boutique hotel feel. We had a really great experience from the very helpful staff and super-friendly owners - John showed a real interest in us without being too imposing. I particularly like that they went out of their way to provide really clear directions to get there down what can be very confusing Marrakech streets.

We stayed at another riad earlier in the trip (riad layla rouge) which means we can make some helpful comparisons and describe what this place is and is not:

What it is:
- well-priced but certainly feels high end
- VERY comfortable stylish design
- Awesome Air con
- Good roof terrace
- Romantic
- Feels like you're being looked after by a family

What it is not:
- Traditional. Although this is a riad and there are friendly moroccan staff it feels like a European hotel (albeit a classy boutique style). We didn't have tea offered to us immediately upon arrival for example.
- Cheap. You definitely can find cheaper options in Marrakech if you're on a budget. I thought the meal was very overpriced (especially since there was too much food to eat - there are cheaper places to eat out) and the taxi to the airport they booked for us was at least 3 times more than we could have got on the street.

So bearing in mind these points and the target market for this riad and I think it's a wonderful option. For us, it was a great treat at the end of our holiday and a nice trade up from the cheaper option we started the trip with.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
riadelizabeth, Owner at Riad Elizabeth, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
First of all thank you, it is always nice to receive a 5 star review, however there are couple of points to which I feel I should respond.
I tried to work out which guests wrote this review, but couldn't, as I wanted to see if I could find out why they weren't offered tea on arrival, which we always do, and wondered if they had arrived very late at night, or just in time for dinner, making the tea and cakes better saved until the next day.
Dinner in the Riad is 240 dhs (£20) which we think is good value, we don't have a menu as such, Bahija, our wonderful cook, shops in the morning at the market for local, seasonal and usually organic produce, and buys, within our guidelines, what she thinks looks best on the day...and then creates her magic!! We may be a little biased, but we think that she cooks the best Moroccan fare in Marrakech!! A typical meal consists of a selection of Moroccan salads followed by a tagine of eg chicken and preserved lemon or beef with prunes and almonds, with cous cous and vegetables and a light desert. Water and tea or coffee are included.
The company we use for our airport transfers charge 15€ to meet and greet the arrivals in the arrivals hall, often waiting over an hour, help with their suitcases, drive them in a clean and well maintained 4x4 to the door of the Riad, and to escort the guests and suitcases to the door. You may, if you are very lucky, find a small taxi (usually delapidated) to bring you for around 100 dhs (10€), three times less definately not, and in the experince of most guests who choose to find a taxi themselves it is usually considerabley more from the airport. For that you would have to carry your cases out of the airport, find a taxi, haggle for a price, and you would be dropped a walk away form the door of the Riad necessitating the use of a man with a hand cart to transport the cases, for which you would have to pay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Polish first
Glossop, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

We went to Marrakech to celebrate my partners 40th Birthday. John & Elizabeth were extremely helpful to me in the time coming up to our stay & were very fast to respond with queries & questions about visiting Morocco - for instance money exchange & import limits etc. They also managed to organise a taxi transfer to (& from) the airport to Riad Elizabeth & also organised an evening meal for us in the Riad, with their own cook, as we would be arriving late. All of this I paid for by bank transfer in advance, meaning that I didn't need to worry about obtaining Dirhams before that first night.
Our flight was delayed by more than an hour & I was a little concerned that our taxi driver may not be there, but this was not the case - John & Elizabeth use regular taxi drivers whom they trust.
As we were late arriving at the Riad (we were the only guests staying there for the first 2 days & it felt like we'd won the lottery & had our own staff!), we were delighted to find out that not only was dinner ready whenever we were, but also staff had stayed on late in order to make sure that not only were we waited on hand & foot, but also that we had all the necessary paperwork filled out & we were familiar & happy with the Riad by the manager (Dagmara). She also explained that she would be around first thing tomorrow morning & that she would help us find our bearings & get around a bit (she used to work for a tour company - very useful!). A permanent night doorman is also there, should you need anything during the night & for security.
The next morning Dagmara met with us over breakfast (freshly prepared, delicious, more than enough to set you up for a hard day's bartering in the Souk (!) & indeed you can order things like a "traditional Moroccan Breakfast" should you wish to). Dagmara is a mine of knowledge & helped us understand some of the more useful aspects about getting around in Marrakech, along with phrases & some interesting history points! She then took us on a guided tour to the Souk (10 minutes gentle walk), through the Souk (very confusing the first time!) & through to the main square (a further 10 minutes gentle walk through the Souk). All in all therefore the main square is about 15-20 minutes gentle walk from the Riad (about 10 minutes if you pressed on). Dagmara also advised us how to change our money - best places & rates etc. She booked us a restaurant for Claire's birthday, which was wonderful & also booked her a hammam & associated beauty treatments (all beyond me, I'm afraid - I went people watching over a coffee or two in the square!).
Overall, nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff - John & Elizabeth have a wonderful Riad, in a superbly quiet location (the roof terrace with a cool beer at night, is an incredible little oasis away from the hustle of the main Square & Souk), it's SO well appointed & beautifully & tastefully decorated.
However, it's always the service & the "above & beyond" levels of service which make the differences. Our jobs allow us to stay at some of the world's nicest hotels - all 4 & 5 star - & yet the quality of service, attention to detail & "nothing-too-much-trouble-attitude" we experienced at the Riad Elizabeth by all the staff there and John & Elizabeth were at least as good as anything we've experienced before & indeed in many cases exceeded ANYTHING you'd expect to get in a 5 star hotel!
Needless to say, we will recommend the Riad Elizabeth to anyone who wishes to visit Marrakech & will definitely be returning ourselves!
Thanks to everyone at the Riad Elizabeth for making Claire's birthday so special.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "Olivia" room, which was sensational! However, if you are a light sleeper...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

stopped for a five day break and were royally looked after by John, Elizabeth and their happy band of workers who were only too pleased to help us in any way they could. Breakfast was served on the roof terrace each morning and the amount of food provided was tasty and more than enough to set us up for the day. I would have no qualms about reccomending this riad to my freinds

Room Tip: No Problems with any of the Rooms
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I visited Marrakech for the first time with my wife in early April. We wanted both a riad experience and a convenient location for seeing the city and were pleased on both fronts.

The riad is located just north of the soukhs and is located close to a nice restaurant and several sites worth visiting. Walking south through the soukhs brings you to the Medina which is just 15 minutes walking distance. The hosts John and Elizabeth provided us with the contact details of reliable taxi drivers in the event that we were returning to the riad late or wanted to travel some distance. These drivers were friendly, reasonable and very helpful.

The riad itself had a nice interior and roof terrace. There was an honesty bar which was accessible throughout the day. WiFi was available throughout the riad and was very reliable. There was even a iPhone/iPod charger alarm clock in our room!

When we arrived we decided to have dinner at the riad which turned out to be very delicious and I would recommend that other guests do the same as dining out can be a little intimidating at first for first time visitors (I strongly recommend the fish & chips stalls at the medina however!). Breakfast was tasty and consisted of various baked breads, pancakes, jams, fresh fruit and fresh fruit juice, teas and coffees.

I will definitely stay here again on future visits!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

I recently rented the Riad Elizabeth for my wife and I plus ten of our friends to celebrate my birthday with five days in Marrakech.
From the planning stage right through to arrival John and Elizabeth were pro active, they organised our transfers, guides, excursions and restaurants.
The Riad is wonderful tranquil haven which is opulently detailed. It is spotlessly clean and nothing is too much trouble
The staff seem to have mastered the art of invisibility, and reappearing when needed.
Two of our party were taken ill at the end of the visit, and were unable to return. Team Elizabeth sprang into action, organised a doctor, picked up medication, rescheduled rooming, organised dietary requirements and arranged transfers.
On arrival we were greeted with refreshments and pastries and that night they arranged a typical Moroccan meal in house.
I cannot speak to highly about the service that we received from team Elizabeth and would have no qualms to recommend them to anyone.

Room Tip: All rooms are unique but equally good
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Laskhar Gar, Afghanistan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

I recently rented the entire riad for five nights for me and my friends. I've stayed at some of the best 5-star hotels and resorts around the world and can honestly say Riad Elizabeth has service which rivals the best. From my initial contact with them through through my departure, John and Elizabeth and their team made every effort to ensure me and my guests enjoyed our visit. I had a few special requests before arrival and they assured me "All things are possible in Morocco". During our stay, they recommended and made arrangements for us at several restaurants and clubs. Every place they recommended was exceptional with great food and service. The tours they arranged for us were exactly what we were looking for and went off without a hitch. I've recommended Riad Elizabeth to all my friends and if I'm ever back in Marrakech, I'll definitely stay with them again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I recently stayed at Riad Elizabeth for four days to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. We booked following a recommendation from friends and we were not disappointed, it is absolutely perfect!

Firstly the location is excellent for what we wanted - right in the old town by some of the main tourist attractions, such as the square and the souks. The location couldn't have been better for someone who wanted to see the traditional tourist sites and for shopping.

The Riad itself was quite stunning in appearance. The rooms were very well decorated and good sizes, with a nice little swimming pool on the ground floor (admittedly we didn't use it!) and a lovely welcome/dining area. The decoration is both classic and modern, and has some really nice personal touches.

The best bit however has to be the roof terrace which is the perfect place to relax in busy Marrakech, with comfy sun loungers in the 'sun trap' terrace as well as tables and a comfy area with cushions etc for those who want to relax in the shade. There is an honesty bar area too which is nice and plenty of entertainment, including communal books and games. Even sun hats were available! It is bizarrely serene given the main square is little over five minutes walk away, providing the perfect contrast.

When we arrived we were welcomed by John, who owns the Riad with his wife Elizabeth and had impressively built the Riad. He spent some time telling us about the area, local customs etc and offered us the local mint tea. It was a nice welcome and John even spent time walking us to the main areas in the city (he offered but didn't insist) and helping us map our way back. This was a nice personal touch and put our minds at ease in a new and different city. Both Elizabeth and John throughout our stay went out their way to make us feel welcome and relaxed, providing a nice personal touch compared to staying in a hotel or similar. This was particularly comforting given my wife is pregnant and also a coeliac, meaning we were quite demanding and restricted in what we could do!

The staff at the hotel were also fantastic, polite and friendly and the cook (baheesha) was amazing - we eat Moroccan food all the time and this was the best either of us have ever tasted, easily. So much so we ate at the Riad three nights out of four!

Overall, this was the perfect venue for a romantic trip but equally would be right for friends travelling wishing to explore this great city. Great location; first class accommodation; comfortable surroundings; and nice personal touches. I would - and have already - recommend this to friends and will definitely be returning should we be heading back to Marrakech. It was also very reasonably priced for the overall first class experience we had.

Thanks to John, Elizabeth and all your team for helping make our first wedding anniversary so special.

Stayed April 2012

Been to Riad Elizabeth? Share your experiences!