“Beautyful:)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Amira et SPA

You added Villa Amira et SPA to your Saves list
Villa Amira et SPA
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   78, rue Sakia El Hamra, Semlalia, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #486 of 1,134 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Oslo, Norway
“Beautyful:)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

It was all that we could have expected. Such a lovely place with such lovely staff. It was the perfect stay for a perfect travel! I recommend this hotel, and me and my friend would definitely come back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

The villa amira presented a tranquil escape from the busy medina and although there were many positives, it could certainly be improved. The decor was quite nice, essentially in the style of a traditional riad accommodation outside the centre and is therefore run in a similar way. The downstairs part and the pool are certainly very pretty. We arrived later on in the day and were met by a lady who was pleasant but could only speak little English. We filled in the tourist forms and were shown to our rooms without much further information. It was only the 2nd afternoon after a day of sightseeing that we met the owner who is very welcoming and helpful but often not present. The rest of the staff are lovely but speak little English so it can be difficult unless you know some French. The room was the main disappointment which feels a little rickety. The heater didn't really work to warm the room so it was often cold. The shower was a pain as temperature not stable and had to be held up. The food and massage were better than expected. Do be aware if you have a group on voucher which says dinner and breakfast included as we were only allowed one dinner - certainly not clear. Location isn't great if you plan to walk around, especially when it's hot but can use taxis quite cheap. On the whole, for the price, this isn't bad but certainly not a luxury stay. With a few changes e.g. English speaking contact always available and updated rooms, this could compare to the nicer riads in the medina.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

As a twenty-something female who was traveling to Marrakech alone, I researched a lot of hotels and riad's and decided that staying in the newer part of town might be safer. I found the Villa Amira and read you had to take taxi's but it was worth it.
Yes, you do have to take taxi's, but they are so cheap and the Villa Amira definitely made it worth it! The women who work there were so welcoming (they all spoke english and french) and when I asked one employee about taking the bus to go to the Jardin Majorelle, she took it with me! I got a hamman and a message in the spa and was really impressed by the service and the price. Breakfast came included and was a traditional Moroccan breakfast (and delicious!) The hotel has wifi and the room had heaters, which surprisingly I needed to use a few nights during late December. I never write reviews, but I was so happy with this place and thought I'd put in a good word. Highly recommended!!!

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies, this might be a nice thing to request!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Booked this trip via Groupon for a long weekend and this place is a real little gem. We had asked for them to arrange a taxi to pick us up from the airport but he wasn't there, he later told us he was but we came prepared. I advise you to get Hassan's number from the Villa so you can call him from the airport if you don't see him. Make sure you have the Villa's address as most drivers didn't know where it was, it's close to Faculte de Sciences which they usually know. It is a bit out of town (40 mins walk to the main square Jemaa El Fna) but it's a nice walk which my boyfriend and I were happy to do and just taxi back. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Language wasn't a problem as I speak French. The massage was very relaxing and worth every penny. After reading some reviews I asked for a room overlooking the pool that was on 1st or 2nd floor which they happily arranged and we didn't have any problem with noise. Breakfast is free and was delicious, hard boiled egg, fruits, local pancake with jam, delicious coffee or mint tea, and pain au chocolat. If you want full english breakfast don't come to Morocco, as you won't find that anywhere. Food at Villa Amira was the best in Marrakech and we felt stupid we left it until the last day to eat there when we should've done so almost every day. Other places the service was poor/arrogant, food was average and expensive (Comptoir, Stylia, etc), Pepe Nero was the best out of the restaurants we tried but Villa Amira does the best food hands down in Marrakech (order the beef tajine with prunes!).

Taxis should be between 40-60 MAD one way, don't get ripped off, they can ask 100/200MAD and hope you'll agree. Get ready to haggle in market places, if they ask for 700 start at 200 and work up to the price you're happy to pay for. 99% of the time they'll agree to your 'absolute final last price'. That's how they do business and can be fun as they joke a lot/have funny sales skills (best quality in Marrakech! You'll have this for a lifetime! etc). We visited visited a few sites by walking to them (Jardins Marjorelle, Jemaa el Fna, Main Mosque (cannot enter if not Muslim but still beautiful from the outside), Souks) and did the rest with Hassan as a driver who was very nice and very informative.

A fantastic trip, and Villa Amira was the best place to come home to after a day in busy noisy Marrakech. Couldn't thank the employees there more.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the pool, on 1st floor was perfect.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Old Hastings
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We had a great relaxing time which is exactly what we wanted.
Paola is a great hostess and has excellent staff who are very attentive, helpful and discrete.
The Riad is well kept and clean.
Great stay
Geoff & Sarah Jane.

Room Tip: Get one with a bath as the hot water can change temperature without warning.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights in February and loved it.

It's a bit of a journey to the main square but 4euros for a taxi and youre there! The girls running the establishment will you after you fantastically. there is a nice selection for breakfast each morning and drinks are reasonably priced. The SPA is amazing, have a massage and a hammam while you're there! The pool area is lovely and a nice place to relax.

Have dinner here one night, you won't regret it, there tagines are amazing!

Also use Hasan the taxi driver the ladies recommend, he's completely trustworthy and very reliable...he likes cake if you end up with any going spare!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I booked this as a groupon for a much needed getaway with my boyfriend in June 2012. I was a little worried about it as it was my first groupon trip, but everything turned out to be lovely.
We communicated with Paola prior to coming to confirm our booking. We didn't initially arrange a taxi, although we should have. The villa is a little out of the ways and most taxi drivers don't know where it is. I would recommend getting clear instructions prior to going (I had read this before our trip on trip advisor so I was prepared!)

The room was lovely, we had the room right next to the main entrance on the ground floor. It was spacious, really well decorated, and clean. The shower, bathroom and toilet were all well functioning and clean (I'm a neat freak so this was really important to me). We were given some mint tea on arrival which was really refreshing and sweet. We then explored the villa - there is a small pool with some reclining chairs and couches. Luckily the place was not full when we went, so we never had difficulty getting space. There were a few other couples there as well who were friendly, however near the end a large group came who were very noisy and drank loads, which wasn't really my scene as we were looking for a relaxing holiday. If they had been there the entire time it would have changed my experience, but it's hard to predict who else will be there! The pool was small but nice to take a dip in when it got really hot. There's also a rooftop area which is not covered, I went up there for a bit but it was baking so I wouldn't recommend spending too much time there.

The breakfast was excellent and consisted of a basket of different breads (a larger round of thick pita bread, a savoury, soft flatbread, and a sweet - either pancake or a piece of cake), fresh fruit, yogurt, an egg, jam, fresh orange juice, and tea or coffee. They usually provide mint tea but you can ask for normal english tea. I found the breakfast huge and normally couldn't finish it!

We ate dinner once at the villa on recommendation of other reviews on this site. It was the most expensive meal we had all trip but 100% worth it - the food is perfectly spiced and cooked, lovely, and well worth the 3h wait! (Tell them in the morning if you'd like to have dinner that evening). We had 4 salads, couscous, 1 lamb tagine, 1 vegetarian tagine, and dessert. It was definitely too much food, (we had to order multiple mains due to dietary restrictions) so I would suggest getting less or spreading it out over 2 days if you want to try everything.

The bath and massage included in our package were nice, I've been to Turkish baths before and it was similar but in a small private setting. Definitely something to experience, and in between they set you outside on the spa chairs and bring you mint tea. We also had an extra massage at a small place in djem el fna which was longer and more relaxing.

The area around is sparse but there is a nice pastry shop across the street with lovely desserts/pastries. There is also a small cafe which has nice paninis and interesting fresh juices all for reasonable prices. We also bought water from a shop next door .If you go around the other side (out the main door, cross the street to the pastry shop, go to the left of it and around the corner) there are some restaurants with pizza, burgers, fast food etc. Nothing special but a good place to go for a quick meal. There isn't much else to really see in that area, and I found it was often too hot to walk all the way into the town centre so we would often walk part way and then cab, or just cab straight away into djem el fna and then spend the day there.

The ladies who run the place are all lovely, there was one strange altercation while we were there when we heard some yelling in the morning but they managed to clear it up somehow - we noticed when we came out that one of the ladies had left, and didn't see her again.

The only thing I wasn't completely happy about was the trips we arranged. We wanted to go to the Atlas mountains and we arranged it through the villa. I found the price really steep, and though we went with the rest of the guests at the villa (a family with teenage kids, and another couple) I didn't appreciate some of the hidden costs. We had to pay extra for the guide to go up the mountains (which would have been fine if they had told us) and on the way down when we were hungry he made us stop at a restaurant of his choice. I had seen many other places I preferred that looked a lot nicer, but the driver obviously had a deal with these people. It was also a set menu with a set price, which I didn't like because I can never eat the full amount of food. I would advise that you skip the villa entirely on this one and ask around in the square to get the best price. Make sure you detail that you want to eat wherever you want, and also check in if they are going to make other stops. Our driver stopped at a spice farm (which was interesting, and obviously had a shop) but also at a "bedouin house" which was another money making scheme because they had a lockbox near the exit for "donations" for the upkeep of this house for the family!! He also hadn't really told us we would be stopping here and I found it way too contrived and like a museum but a badly created one. Also, initially it was meant to be just us and the other family (3 people) going on the trip. He charged us a certain price. However we then asked another couple staying at the villa if they'd like to come, and when they did he didn't adjust the price at all (which he really should have done, since the cost of the trip/gas would have been less!)

All in all, I would recommend this as a great place to stay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa Amira et SPA? Share your experiences!