“One of the best things of my trip!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Amira et SPA

You added Villa Amira et SPA to your Saves list
Villa Amira et SPA
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   78, rue Sakia El Hamra, Semlalia, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #505 of 1,135 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Paris, France
“One of the best things of my trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

As a twenty-something female who was traveling to Marrakech alone, I researched a lot of hotels and riad's and decided that staying in the newer part of town might be safer. I found the Villa Amira and read you had to take taxi's but it was worth it.
Yes, you do have to take taxi's, but they are so cheap and the Villa Amira definitely made it worth it! The women who work there were so welcoming (they all spoke english and french) and when I asked one employee about taking the bus to go to the Jardin Majorelle, she took it with me! I got a hamman and a message in the spa and was really impressed by the service and the price. Breakfast came included and was a traditional Moroccan breakfast (and delicious!) The hotel has wifi and the room had heaters, which surprisingly I needed to use a few nights during late December. I never write reviews, but I was so happy with this place and thought I'd put in a good word. Highly recommended!!!

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies, this might be a nice thing to request!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Booked this trip via Groupon for a long weekend and this place is a real little gem. We had asked for them to arrange a taxi to pick us up from the airport but he wasn't there, he later told us he was but we came prepared. I advise you to get Hassan's number from the Villa so you can call him from the airport if you don't see him. Make sure you have the Villa's address as most drivers didn't know where it was, it's close to Faculte de Sciences which they usually know. It is a bit out of town (40 mins walk to the main square Jemaa El Fna) but it's a nice walk which my boyfriend and I were happy to do and just taxi back. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Language wasn't a problem as I speak French. The massage was very relaxing and worth every penny. After reading some reviews I asked for a room overlooking the pool that was on 1st or 2nd floor which they happily arranged and we didn't have any problem with noise. Breakfast is free and was delicious, hard boiled egg, fruits, local pancake with jam, delicious coffee or mint tea, and pain au chocolat. If you want full english breakfast don't come to Morocco, as you won't find that anywhere. Food at Villa Amira was the best in Marrakech and we felt stupid we left it until the last day to eat there when we should've done so almost every day. Other places the service was poor/arrogant, food was average and expensive (Comptoir, Stylia, etc), Pepe Nero was the best out of the restaurants we tried but Villa Amira does the best food hands down in Marrakech (order the beef tajine with prunes!).

Taxis should be between 40-60 MAD one way, don't get ripped off, they can ask 100/200MAD and hope you'll agree. Get ready to haggle in market places, if they ask for 700 start at 200 and work up to the price you're happy to pay for. 99% of the time they'll agree to your 'absolute final last price'. That's how they do business and can be fun as they joke a lot/have funny sales skills (best quality in Marrakech! You'll have this for a lifetime! etc). We visited visited a few sites by walking to them (Jardins Marjorelle, Jemaa el Fna, Main Mosque (cannot enter if not Muslim but still beautiful from the outside), Souks) and did the rest with Hassan as a driver who was very nice and very informative.

A fantastic trip, and Villa Amira was the best place to come home to after a day in busy noisy Marrakech. Couldn't thank the employees there more.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the pool, on 1st floor was perfect.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Old Hastings
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We had a great relaxing time which is exactly what we wanted.
Paola is a great hostess and has excellent staff who are very attentive, helpful and discrete.
The Riad is well kept and clean.
Great stay
Geoff & Sarah Jane.

Room Tip: Get one with a bath as the hot water can change temperature without warning.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights in February and loved it.

It's a bit of a journey to the main square but 4euros for a taxi and youre there! The girls running the establishment will you after you fantastically. there is a nice selection for breakfast each morning and drinks are reasonably priced. The SPA is amazing, have a massage and a hammam while you're there! The pool area is lovely and a nice place to relax.

Have dinner here one night, you won't regret it, there tagines are amazing!

Also use Hasan the taxi driver the ladies recommend, he's completely trustworthy and very reliable...he likes cake if you end up with any going spare!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I booked this as a groupon for a much needed getaway with my boyfriend in June 2012. I was a little worried about it as it was my first groupon trip, but everything turned out to be lovely.
We communicated with Paola prior to coming to confirm our booking. We didn't initially arrange a taxi, although we should have. The villa is a little out of the ways and most taxi drivers don't know where it is. I would recommend getting clear instructions prior to going (I had read this before our trip on trip advisor so I was prepared!)

The room was lovely, we had the room right next to the main entrance on the ground floor. It was spacious, really well decorated, and clean. The shower, bathroom and toilet were all well functioning and clean (I'm a neat freak so this was really important to me). We were given some mint tea on arrival which was really refreshing and sweet. We then explored the villa - there is a small pool with some reclining chairs and couches. Luckily the place was not full when we went, so we never had difficulty getting space. There were a few other couples there as well who were friendly, however near the end a large group came who were very noisy and drank loads, which wasn't really my scene as we were looking for a relaxing holiday. If they had been there the entire time it would have changed my experience, but it's hard to predict who else will be there! The pool was small but nice to take a dip in when it got really hot. There's also a rooftop area which is not covered, I went up there for a bit but it was baking so I wouldn't recommend spending too much time there.

The breakfast was excellent and consisted of a basket of different breads (a larger round of thick pita bread, a savoury, soft flatbread, and a sweet - either pancake or a piece of cake), fresh fruit, yogurt, an egg, jam, fresh orange juice, and tea or coffee. They usually provide mint tea but you can ask for normal english tea. I found the breakfast huge and normally couldn't finish it!

We ate dinner once at the villa on recommendation of other reviews on this site. It was the most expensive meal we had all trip but 100% worth it - the food is perfectly spiced and cooked, lovely, and well worth the 3h wait! (Tell them in the morning if you'd like to have dinner that evening). We had 4 salads, couscous, 1 lamb tagine, 1 vegetarian tagine, and dessert. It was definitely too much food, (we had to order multiple mains due to dietary restrictions) so I would suggest getting less or spreading it out over 2 days if you want to try everything.

The bath and massage included in our package were nice, I've been to Turkish baths before and it was similar but in a small private setting. Definitely something to experience, and in between they set you outside on the spa chairs and bring you mint tea. We also had an extra massage at a small place in djem el fna which was longer and more relaxing.

The area around is sparse but there is a nice pastry shop across the street with lovely desserts/pastries. There is also a small cafe which has nice paninis and interesting fresh juices all for reasonable prices. We also bought water from a shop next door .If you go around the other side (out the main door, cross the street to the pastry shop, go to the left of it and around the corner) there are some restaurants with pizza, burgers, fast food etc. Nothing special but a good place to go for a quick meal. There isn't much else to really see in that area, and I found it was often too hot to walk all the way into the town centre so we would often walk part way and then cab, or just cab straight away into djem el fna and then spend the day there.

The ladies who run the place are all lovely, there was one strange altercation while we were there when we heard some yelling in the morning but they managed to clear it up somehow - we noticed when we came out that one of the ladies had left, and didn't see her again.

The only thing I wasn't completely happy about was the trips we arranged. We wanted to go to the Atlas mountains and we arranged it through the villa. I found the price really steep, and though we went with the rest of the guests at the villa (a family with teenage kids, and another couple) I didn't appreciate some of the hidden costs. We had to pay extra for the guide to go up the mountains (which would have been fine if they had told us) and on the way down when we were hungry he made us stop at a restaurant of his choice. I had seen many other places I preferred that looked a lot nicer, but the driver obviously had a deal with these people. It was also a set menu with a set price, which I didn't like because I can never eat the full amount of food. I would advise that you skip the villa entirely on this one and ask around in the square to get the best price. Make sure you detail that you want to eat wherever you want, and also check in if they are going to make other stops. Our driver stopped at a spice farm (which was interesting, and obviously had a shop) but also at a "bedouin house" which was another money making scheme because they had a lockbox near the exit for "donations" for the upkeep of this house for the family!! He also hadn't really told us we would be stopping here and I found it way too contrived and like a museum but a badly created one. Also, initially it was meant to be just us and the other family (3 people) going on the trip. He charged us a certain price. However we then asked another couple staying at the villa if they'd like to come, and when they did he didn't adjust the price at all (which he really should have done, since the cost of the trip/gas would have been less!)

All in all, I would recommend this as a great place to stay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Kent
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We booked the Villa Amira & Spar via Groupon for three nights bed & breakfast after reading previous good reviews on Trip Advisor.
However what we experienced was not as expected.
We were in contact with the owner Paola by e mail and arranged with her to arrange taxi transfer to the raid from the airport having sent our flight number and arrival time and had confirmation of our booking with her.
On arrival at Marrakech airport at 5.30 pm there was no one there to meet us as arranged, after some telephone calls to and from Paulo and 1 hours wait at the airport a small taxi arrived. It seems the taxi booked had forgot the booking but the excuse was he was delayed! Having been given my mobile number a call to let us know would have helped!

On arrival at the villa we were met not with any welcome or apology for the mix up but by a cook and given some mint tea whilst we filled in the usual registration form, it was as we sat in the lounge/dining area we noticed two cats, we are cat lovers but seeing them marking there territory up the curtains and furniture is something we were not used to but this did explain the smell that met us as we walked in which it seems they were trying to cover up with some sort of freshener that smelt like dead bodies.

We were then shown to our room on the same floor as the lounge where the cats were obviously allowed to roam and had the same smell as the rest of the ground floor.
We asked for a room on the first floor, it was obvious that this was not a popular request but the cook went and cleaned the room ready for us while we waited in the smelly lounge.
This room did not have a smell of cats but the death smell seemed to be every ware.
We decided the best thing to do was have something to eat and go to bed, we enquired if we could order a sandwich or something light but this was met with a definite "no food tonight", although there was the smell of something cooking which turned out to be pancakes for breakfast that were left out all night.
When we asked if there was any ware we could get a meal we were told there was nowhere but a shop selling cigarettes and drinks or a patisserie that was closing so we had a wonderfully welcoming meal of bread &water in our room and went to bed.
We were suspicious as to whether the sheets were fresh but by that time we just had to hope that it is not so easy to get white sheets let alone iron them.
The night was fraught with fighting cats and barking dogs and a rock hard bed.
Needless to say we were up early in anticipation of the breakfast that was basically bread & jam and cereal, orange juice thick stewed coffee and the cold pancakes that had been cooked the previous night.
On looking out from our balcony in daylight we noticed that the cats also used the sun bed cushions around the small pool to sleep on therefore we assumed that sunbathing on them you would catch more than just sunrays!
We decided that the complimentary massage in the “Spar” would be as grotty as the rest of the place so decided to give it a miss.

Shabby chic is the phrase that most would probably use but this riad is just terribly shabby and certainly not chic.
We now understand why they have resorted to Groupon to attract clients with low price offers quite frankly the discounted price paid on Groupon was far above what it is worth. We should have remembered the old saying " you get what you pay for" we certainly paid over the odds for what we got and paid a lot more for the following two nights. We moved to the Ksar Char Bagh but at least we had a clean comfortable hotel to recover some enjoyment from the trip, unfortunately this hotel was further out from the city centre therefore we did not get to see anything of Marrakech and probably never will as this has certainly put us off visiting there again.

Our honest opinion is don't take too much notice of the pictures on their web site the reality does not live up to them. If you want back packers accommodation and are not fussy about comfort and cleanliness then give it a try but good luck!

We did hope to see the owner in the morning but it seemed we did not warrant her company then either.
We did however speak to her on the telephone when the morning cook called her after we informed her we were checking out to find more suitable accommodation and this is not what we expected from the pictures and previous reviews.
The only concern shown was the cook asking us to pay for the two bottles of water that we had and the bed tax.
Needless to say we did not pay it.
To sum up our opinion is Villa Amira is old, shabby, smelly, unwelcoming and uncomfortable.

Room Tip: There isn't one so don't bother.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We booked the accommodation through hipmarrakech and we were delighted with the Riad. Our room was clean and spacious and overlooked the pool. The staff were extremely helpful. The villa is in a residential area outside the medina which made it more restful. It was easy on the whole to travel either by foot or taxi to wherever we wanted to go. The decor in the public rooms represented the best examples of Moroccan design. We would have no hesitation in recommending a stay at the villa.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family