“loved it” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #442 of 1,080 Marrakech B&B and Inns
UK
“loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

We booked this with Splendia and paid about £50 pn. It's gorgeous. Beautiful decor and staff were wonderful. Very relaxed atmosphere. Mint tea on arrival. Lovely selection of breads for breakfast and absolutely wonderful location (once you find it- someone will offer to show you the way for a small fee- take them up on the offer as you'll never find it yourself first time around!!) Pool is freezing but this is the norm for Morocco. Terrace great for sunbathing.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Terneuzen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

This was a gem hidden behind a solid wooden door. The location was good, in the medina but only a 10 minute walk to the main square. It is difficult to find the first time as the signposting was not good. We booked through luxury-riads and got a great stay 3 nights and pay for 2 as well as a free airport transfer. Not only that when we arrived they gave us a free upgrade to a suite.! The courtyard was peaceful although the water in the pool was cold it still felt good after a long day in Marrakech. Definately recommended

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2009

Echoing previous reviews, the location of this Riad is ideal. It takes about 10 minutes to walk to Djamaa El Fna, which is undoubtedly where you will spend quite a bit of time. Navigating the roads is pretty easy and you don't get harrassed and we felt very safe throughout. Also about 10 minutes to get to the palaces which you'll probably want to visit at some point.

We emailed the Riad beforehand to organise a taxi to collect us to the airport. Without this, I'm not sure I'd have found the place on our own and I wanted to avoid any unnecessary stress (there isn't a sign or anything - just the house number!). Once we knew where we were, it was very easy to find (if you have a map - it's very close to the Kasbah Mosque which is as far as cars can go - then about a minute's walk through some streets of the medina - don't be alarmed by the butchers and so on!).

On arrival, we were greeted with mint tea and pastries. The courtyard is very pretty with seating areas, plants and a plunge pool. My partner and I would often sit there of an afternoon and read. Very relaxing and peaceful and surprisingly quiet, considering the medina is on your doorstep! The staff are very helpful and gentle and unobstrusive. I would recommend having a dinner there if you can just to experience a home-cooked meal. We had a delicious tagine there which they spent a long time cooking. The Riad also has beer and wine for those of you who fancy a tipple - can be quite difficult to know where to get a drink! A 250ml beer was 30 DH (£2.50?).

The breakfast is pretty simple but more than adequate. Usually involved some bread and a pancake type thing with jams/honey, freshly squeezed orange juice, tea or coffee. To be honest I was often so full from previous meals that it was nice to have a reasonably simple breakfast.

In response to one of the reviews about towel sizes - when we were there, they provided full size towels in the rooms. However, there wasn't any shampoo or shower gel, just a bar of soap, so I had to buy some in a supermarket but that wasn't a major problem. The rooms were very tastefully decorated and every day they would tidy up and fold our clothes and so on! We felt very well looked after.

If you want to arrange any trips anywhere the Riad can help you out. We booked a car to take us to the Ourika Valley which was very nice. On the pricey side however so you could probably shop around, but we didn't have time.

Of course, you must try one of the food sellers in the evenings in Djamaa El Fna. Just go for one that looks busy. That is one situation where the people can be a bit incessant trying to get you to eat at their stall. Once you're in, they soon lose interest and the service in our experience wasn't that great and the food not that cheap. For some peace you could just try one of the places on the peripheries of the square. We found the Cafe Toukbal extraordinary good value and could avoid the hassling (50 DH for 3 courses and mint tea - very filling and tasty).

I would recommend having a good old explore, visit the palaces, ramble around the souks, try lots of pastries! One place I would not recommend is the Jardin de Menara - not remotely beautiful, nowhere to sit really and rather disappointing if you've walked 4km to get there. The Cyber Garden on Ave Mohammed V is much more peaceful and more variety of vegetation.

ENJOY!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

We booked our break with location in mind and weren't disappointed. A ten minute easy stroll from the main square and close to main places of interest this couldn't have been better. There was never a moment of concern for safety walking home late at night and everyone we met on route was simply friendly in saying hello. In fact that is true for our whole stay, even when walking through the souks at night when most stalls were closed. Back to the Riad.....all incredibly helpful and friendly. Breakfast on the roof terrace was a great start to the day. Rooms were very clean and beautifully presented with lots of hot water. A couple of things that could be improved though: the towels in the room are actually hand towels and are not really good for showering! The roof terrace is pleasant enought but more could be done to make it more appealing - there are no loungers/chairs for simply sitting and relaxing and it where the sheets are dried during the day. Not major points, I know, but we spent a long time trying to find a Riad with a good spot for 'sunning'. I guess if you come in the height of the summer this may not be high on your list. We didn't eat there but the smells coming from the kitchen were great, and the continental breakfast was really good. Generally a great choice of stay and we would certainly recommend to friends and family.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — roof terrace disappointing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Leamington Spa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2009

Our stay here was truly amazing. On arrival we were given complimentary mint tea accompanied by a selection of Moroccan treats. The décor was a modern take on the traditional Riad and was beautifully presented. We were upgraded to a suite and they even laid out petals on the bed! In the evening the tables were set up beautifully and they played wonderful ambient traditional music. We had a porter that was available to accompany us to various locations, which was incredibly helpful and made us feel a lot safer. The Riad was a tranquil haven away from the hustle and bustle of the busy market town. All in all it was incredibly romantic experience!

• Liked — The decor
  • Disliked — location of very busy street
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2008

This is a superb place to stay - a haven in the middle of a noisy local market.

The riad is situated in a side street that is too small for a taxi to get to - you have to walk there from a main road. You do wonder just what you have done in booking it as you see the dusty market area a couple of streets away but as soon as you walk in through the huge door, you feel so at home. The staff are very friendly and helpful; the receptionists are more than happy to offer directions and suggestions.

The rooms had a lot of character, and the showers were just fantastic - you just have to see them. My wife and I stayed in two rooms; the first three days in one after which we moved onto a place in the Atlas Mountains. When we returned for our final night before flying back home from Marrakech, they had upgraded us to a bigger room as they had learned that we were on our honeymoon - a nice touch.

The courtyard where you eat breakfast and can enjoy some quieter moments is just marvellous. There is a swimming pool in the centre, lots of greenery and loads of fresh flowers. It is so peaceful and tranquil that is is hard to imagine that here is a bustling market just a few streets away.

The food at this riad is to die for. Their menu is small and you must book a table and give your order several hours before to allow them to prepare your tagine; but the result was superb. Our chicken and vegetable tagine was perfect; the meat just fell off the bone and it tasted sublime. Make sure you are hungry when you eat though as you get a large tagine with cous cous which is a huge serving; and the salad they give you as a starter is another large serving...but it was exquisite. Do make sure you have their mint tea too - it is gorgeous and my wife and I were suitably motivated to continue to make ourselves mint tea when we returned - I have even planted some mint in our garden for this purpose...

One thing you should be careful of though is in asking for directions. We lost our way on the first night (we missed the final right turn and then got confused). We asked one person for directions and he started to take us in a completely different direction when my wife and I knew we had been in the locality. After a couple of minutes, I grabbed my wife and turned back and asked someone else the directions. The first guy followed us, didn't know I understood Arabic and had tried to tell this second person to not tell me where it really was. I found out on our final night that a fellow tourist had asked this same guy for directions too and followed him for longer - and ended up at the entrance to a dead end where there was a man with a bat at the end - he had to grab his girlfriend and leave quickly. Another person waits in the area for tourists asking directions, takes them where they want to go, but then asks you to feed him - i.e. to give him some money. He had obviously seen me go to the riad once as he accompanied my wife and I without our having asked for help, and then asked for money - as if he had taken us there - we refused of course.

But the riad itself is brilliant and I would recommend it despite the last paragraph - you just need to make sure you know where you're going. The area around the riad is dusty and a bit dirty but this adds some character to the experience of staying there; after all, you don't go to Marrakech just to stay in a Westernised area would you??? Also this is not really a place for families; it is better for a couple or for single person to enjoy a brilliant place to stay.

• Liked — The courtyard
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2008

My husband and I stumbled upon this riad while walking through the medina of Marrakesh with a friend. First thing I saw was the pool, after a long hot day in the hustle bustle of Marrakesh all you want to do is have a quiet, tranquil place to chill out before you return to the middle of the medina. This riad met all of our expectations and more. Pool was totally refreshing, rooms decorated perfectly, ac worked beautiful, linens were soft, shower was hot, and breakfast was typical Moroccan fresh baked breads - delicious! I'm sad that there aren't any reviews but happy to write the first and hope other will find the same experience that my husband and I did. We could have stayed here for an entire week, maybe next time.

• Liked — the pool
  • Disliked — having to leave
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Riad Kasbah? Share your experiences!