“Baby Friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #177 of 1,043 Marrakech B&B and Inns
NYC, NY
“Baby Friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

After having read that many riads are not family friendly, we were a bit nervous about bringing our 15 month old to Riad Anya. However, we were immediately welcomed by staff. The staff were affectionate and friendly with our baby. We were given a room on the ground floor (convenient for avoiding having to carry the stroller up flights of stairs) in the far back adjacent to a courtyard which was enclosed so it felt as if it was our own private courtyard for the baby to roam around. It was also situated away from the common areas and dipping pool so the baby wouldn't risk getting into trouble or disturbing other guests.

We were provided with a travel cot for the baby which was clean and sturdy. Unfortunately, our room had a shower so luckily we brought an inflatable bathtub.

The only complaints was that a print out of the bill couldn't be provided (printer was down) and I was only given the receipt of payment. The final amount was slightly more than what I was shown by reception.The other issue was a minor ant problem in the room.

The perks...the riad is located outside of the city center so it's a quiet area. It's not a far walk from the Jemaa el Fna square but complicated to cross streets with a stroller. It's also a 2-3 minute walk from a hospital which was comforting to know if there was an emergency with the baby.

Room Tip: Ground floor room at far back next to small courtyard is better for those traveling with babies.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

202 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Hitchin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

This was our favourite Riad of all the ones we stayed in on our trip round Morocco. It was stunningly attractive and had a lovely spacious terrace.Our room was compact, but clean and comfortable with a little table and chairs on the bacony outside. We had a Hamman and massage which was very relaxing and enjoyable as well as cooking lesson from the staff. Nothing was too much trouble and everyone was really friendly and helpful. The plunge pool was very welcome after a hot day wandering round Marrakech. It was a 10 15 minute walk to the square, but straightforward enough and we felt quite comfortable walking around the area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

I stayed for two nights at Riad Anya, Marrakech, which was chosen by my travel agent, and prior to this, I had stayed in two other riads: in Meknes and Fes. Even though the reception was efficient and friendly, when I entered the property, I didn't have the warm welcoming feeling, and the moment I entered the room, it was so 'standard' (as I travelled by myself, I didn't mind as I didn't intend to stay in the riad during my stay at Marrakech, but I'd have felt guilty if I have someone else traveling with me - in justifying why I picked this place). The nice thing was that I got the room on the ground floor which has a connecting terrace next to the Restaurant. Before I left, I had looked at their rooftop terrace and found it quite interesting - perhaps when the weather is less cold.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

On a business trip to Marrakech, this riad was selected for me by our travel facilitator. We had difficulty finding it (down a narrow, dead end street and then two winding alleys later......).

The rooms are just okay - nothing memorable - located as they usually are in riads around a central courtyard. Breakfast was spartan and service was slow. Check out was convoluted and they had to recalculate my bill three times.

No phone or TV (thank goodness) in the room, which made communication with my business colleague problematical.

Room Tip: Can't help you there!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Armidale, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

We stayed at Riad Anya evenings Friday 8 July through until Thursday 14 July, 2011. Myself, my husband and 22 year old daughter were travelling from Australia. The staff were extremely courteous and helpful to us and made us feel so welcome and at home. Jamila was helpful in helping me organise a couple of day trips and made helped me feel confident travelling in Morocco. Khalil, of Riad Anya is a true gentleman, so polite and respectful and so willing to serve us and be of assistance.

The accommodation is very comfortable and it was good to come back to the Riad after negotiating the streets of Marrakesh. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

The riad was wonderful- I have nothing bad to say about the hotel itself. The only drawback is the location. Although the hotel is very centrally located (only about 10 minute walk to the Jemma el Fna square) and right next to a palace with guards, it's down some back roads that were quite hard to find and not very welcoming. It's all fine if you are in a group but I would certainly warn female travellers to re-think coming here alone. It's a bit dodgy at night and there are always a few groups of Moroccan men hanging around. Shame because the hotel was so lovely...

• Stayed January 2011
Geneva
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

We staid at the Riad Anya for 4 nights. The place itself is beautiful, as you see in the photos and better. Everything is clean, some of the showers are a bit "weak" , but overall no major problems. People are friendly and the service is very attentive. So, as you step trough the door, you are in the best possible place you can think of. And we come to the snag, what is OUTSIDE of the door. Although it is a short walk from the souk and the main square, which is great, you have to face situations where western women travelling alone may not feel too comfortable. We were there just before and during Eid. If you like to see sheeps and muttons being slaughtered, their heads severed and burnt, pretty much in the streets where you are pulling your carry on, well...
We suspect that elsewhere in the medina, with a few more tourists and a few more women, things may be easier. Do not be deterred if you travel in a larger group, or with men, or outside of Eid week. We probably picked the wrong combination - and all the aspects that concern the riad itself are just fine!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Anya? Share your experiences!