“Elegant, quiet hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #81 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Oslo, Norway
“Elegant, quiet hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We had a fantastic week at Rose Sultan for christmas 2012. A small, quiet and elegant hotel - about 15 minutes from the Medina by car. Super atmosphere - almost like a personal home. Very nice lunch and dinner menus. The owner Majid will help you with anything you need at al times. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

153 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Rose Sultan is a lovely hotel with good attention to detail and excellent customer service.
We stayed 5 days and enjoyed every moment. Luxury and service is apparent in every nook and cranny while keeping the architecture and ambiance of the Moroccan culture.
The staff was excellent and very respectful of our privacy but helpful with any request we had.
Rose Sultan is located about a 15 minutes drive from the hectic city so perfect for visiting the Medina etc. while avoiding the noise.
If you want calm, relaxation and refined Moroccan Cuisine this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

I was looking for a somewhere a bit different for my brother and I to go for a 5 nights when we went on our first four week holiday together, as this was his first time out of Australia. A friend had suggested that we travel to Marrakech and stat at the Rose Sultan. He had stayed there earlier in the year when a friend had booked the place out for a birthday party and I can see why! Marrakech itself was amazing, something so completely different to Australia, exotic, exciting, and refreshing. What was best was that all of this was only a short drive away from Rose Sultan, which was secluded, relaxing, and had some of the best food I have ever tried!

Our first few days we went out and explored the city a little, visiting the Souks, the Medina, and then just chilled out for a few days, sitting by the pool and reading a book. We had planned to do a day trip to the Atlas mountains(which you could see from our villa), go horse riding (which I had never done) and go on a camel, but neither of us realised how stressed out we had been before arriving and Rose Sultan was just the best place to chill out! I do look forward to making our way back there to do these things one day. I did take advantage of the spa offer, and had a massage and the bubble bath spa, where you have a spa with bubbles and essential oils, and look out a window over the mountains.

My brother and I were a bit worried about what the food would be like in Morocco, but Majid who runs the place recommended some restaurants where the food was traditional but safe (for those of us that don’t want to risk being too traditional), and they were great! We actually ended up having most of our meals at Rose Sultan itself, partly because we were so relaxed we did not want to leave, and because it was some of the most delicious meals that I have had, and the courses were different each day and I wanted to try them all!

What I also liked was that if you wanted to have private time out to yourself you can stay in your room, or go to the main house and sit by yourself and read (or play on your iPad), or talk with the other guests. We ended up making friends with a couple that were visiting, and went out one night to one of the clubs that Majid recommended and had a great night partying with them. I have since stayed in contact with them and would probably plan another trip with them and meet up somewhere else in the World. I think things like that do not happen if you stay at big hotels. We went on a day trip with them and checked out the ‘Jardin Maorelle’, the garden that Yves Saint-Laurent restored and checked out the museum that is inside the garden, which I highly recommend doing if you are in Marrakech.

Rose Sultan was the perfect mix of private, yet not isolated, heaps to do, or nothing if you want to chill, everything you need at your finger tips, and help available to organise different day trips if you feel like it.

Room Tip: We stayed in the twin bed room which was fine, but next time we would probably have a villa each.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

I had several very stressful days of work in Marrakech and needed a place to relax and edit photos for a couple of days afterward. Rose Sultan was perfect. It was quiet, private and beautiful. And the service was excellent. I decided on very short notice that I wanted to take an afternoon and visit the Atlas Mountains. Within minutes a car and driver had been arranged. No fuss at all. There's a beautiful pool, and breakfast and supper were excellent. I will visit again.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be very private.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

Just a short drive from the center of Marrakech, the Rose Sultan is situated in a secluded space next to beautiful horse stables (a plus for riders and horse fans) away from the bustle of the city, but minutes away from chic and sophisticated restaurants (the very cool Bo + Zin is a "must" to experience). The city is easily accessible and taxis or cars can be quickly arranged. But the fact is, upon arriving at the Rose Sultan, the thought of leaving the property starts to fade.

The riad, inspired by traditional Moroccan architecture and materials, comes into view like an oasis, which is exactly what it is. The design is modern, but warm, sensual and inviting – a very desirable alternative to the often heavy and overdone hotels and riads one finds in Morocco. Entering the gate, guests walk down a fragrant path of rosemary hedges (grab a sprig and inhale) to the hotel's main areas. The large living and dining room areas are comfortable, chic (an eclectic mix of ethnic, contemporary and antique furnishings) and private at the same time. A sense of calm overtakes one almost immediately as the terrace, gardens and pool come into view.

Also immediate is the realization that the theme of the hotel is the rose. Bowls and vases are overflowing with the flower and the fragrance is intoxicating without being overwhelming. Sensual sprinkling of rose petals can be found throughout the riad and even the bath soap is rose scented, with real roses in the soap.

Meals in the hotel are delicious (the chef prepares traditional Moroccan dishes as well international "fusion" cuisine with locally grown ingredients). During my stay (almost a week) I had numerous meals at the hotel and all were outstanding (as well as a great value). The presentation of the food and the table settings are also impeccable, beautiful without being overly formal - a treat to the senses. (I would also highly recommend the local "gray" rosé wine, some of the best rosé wine I’ve tasted and I’m a big fan of the wine in the summer.) Meals can be served on the terrace, in the different common areas of the hotel, essentially anywhere, so guests can dine in groups or have a more private, intimate meal, depending on the whim of the guest. Because of the cleverly unique design, the hotel is equally great for groups of friends or more romantic “get-a-ways” for two.

The service is phenomenal. The attractive staff is somehow invisible, yet at your side when you have a need, at the same time – never hovering or intrusive. And the owner, Majid, is a host extraordinaire – welcoming, engaging, helpful and intelligent. He knows Marrakech, the surrounding area and many other areas of Morocco very well and can make infinite recommendations of things to do – one of the many great perks of the Rose Sultan.

The rooms are fantastic – a sensual continuation of the experience. Rose petals throughout, inviting beds, generous bathrooms and the best amenity products I’ve ever used (the rose soap, as mentioned earlier, as well as the rosemary shower gel, shampoo/conditioner are all bio-organic, made with local ingredients from the amazing Moroccan personal care/spa brand Nectarome (Majid can even send guests to the Nectarome shop nearby to stock up on these unbelievable products – they make great gifts, too!). Each room is actually like a small home, with its own beautiful outdoor private garden terrace.

The hotel’s spa is also an intoxicatingly sensual experience. I would highly recommend a massage or other spa services – private and pampering. The masseur was excellent and had some foot massage “tricks” that left me completely stress free.

The overall experience of the hotel was excellent and I intend on returning, probably with a small group of friends, who, I’m sure will immediately be huge fans, as well. I travel internationally extensively, usually around five months of the year, mainly for business, but stay at the best properties and experience the newest and next in food and entertainment. I’ve been to many resorts around the world and seen the best, as well as the average and less than average. Majid has created a very special place at the Rose Sultan (I believe he has also seen his fair share of deluxe properties and he has a very sophisticated, yet casual and “unsnobbish” taste, which is, at the end of the day, more “luxe” than many places I’ve visited that claim to provide luxury experiences.). And best of all, I would rate the Rose Sultan as one of the best values for the price that I’ve ever experienced. I've tried to think hard of any down sides or things I didn't like, but honestly, none come to mind.

Room Tip: there are no bad rooms here...check out the website for photos
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

Rose Sultan is a beautiful get away, perfect for a quiet and romantic stay. The design of the hotel gives you the first insight into what your stay will be like: a quiet, luxury and peaceful, out of this world stay. Majid is a great host and gives you this home feeling everyone is after as soon as he welcomes you into his fabulous place. The food proposed is simple but fresh and tasty. Worthwhile trying! The view on the mountains is amazing, the pool invites you to just relax and do Nothing....perfect!
We would recommend Rose Sultan with no hesistation, although once you have found such a place, you don't really want to spread the word....

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

Luxury meets casual at this very special Riad. I felt as comfortable as being at home but with the service of being a king. The view is spectacular, while enjoying breakfast poolside the white capped mountains are beautiful. This hotel was the favorite part of my trip. I felt totally relaxed and cared for and I’ll defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Rose Sultan? Share your experiences!