“Such a disapointment...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #311 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
derby
“Such a disapointment...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

I have taken a long time to write this as I wanted to be clear about what to say...as i have never felt so negative about a review.
I have never stayed at a hotel where the customer service has been so poor,or been made to feel so uncomfortable.
Hotel staff completely rude when you do not take them up on their trips/excursions.Facilities not open as advertised....such as pool side grill and tea rooms.Evening meals served at 8pm instead of 7.30pm so that those observing Ramadan could eat first once their daily fast had ended.
Only 2 nights/days out of a 10 night stay where there was completely fresh food.....this was when the Polish coach tours arrived....who they kept saying spend lots more money.The rest of the stay the same food came out for beakfast every day.Bread/croisants were stale and you had to pick through to find ones that had not been chewed over by the birds that nested in the dining room.Even basics like orange juice and water were not put out every meal time.One evening we went to dinner to find a photocopied menu and no self service as they said it was a waste to make all that food when there were so few people in the hotel.There was nothing on the menu that we wished to eat,so after arguing they offered to make pasta....for which we were very gratefull.Huge ants on your dinner table in the evening and all over the floor,as well as cockroaches crawling up the walls while you are having breakfast.....didnt make you feel too good either.
The hotel was advertised as newly built,but was actually 5 years old and looked very tired and not maintained.The pool area was the worst.99%of sunbeds broken and dangerous.Tiles broken around the pool.Shower head tjat was there did not work properly and the other was broken off.Rails from childrens section to main pool only secured by one post,the other had no screws.2out of 3 sets of pool steps had broken foot plates.From our room the pool looked gorgeously refreshing.We swam in it for a few days untill one evening we watched how they cleaned it.They used pool water to swill around the pool and sweep all the rubbish into it...it made us feel sick.Then it was quite clear that the filter system was switched off untill after breakfast in the morning.Some days you could see a sludge on the bottom of the pool.
marrakech is beautiful and the shuttlebus in and out of the centre was a great idea and made sight seeing really easy.
Visitors that came to see us at the hotel were treated disgracefully....spoken to rudely.
The one taxi we asked the hotel to organise for us to get to the local water park oasisiria was a complete rip off.He drove us 25minutes in the wrong direction before turning round in the middle of a busy main road and taking us 5 minutes away from our actual hotel....quite obvious why.. on the way back we got our own taxi from the waterpark which only cost us 20dir....the hotel wanted to charge us 80dir.
After this they did not speek to us in the hotel again,dispite the fact that both my children and myself said hello every time we walked through reception.
Even on the morning we checked out and paid the bill....there was no please.thankyou or goodbye.no helping us with the luggage....nothing.I was totally disgusted and disapointed.
The first hotel I can honestly say that I would not want to recommend to anyone.
Such a shame as it has so much potential.

• Stayed July 2013

299 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Turkish first
bedford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Lovely hotel but unfriendly female staff on reception who didnt make eye contact nor spoke a word of english - this hotel is french abrabic. Usual response was a downtuned mouth and a shrug of the shoulders, they did however pay special attention to asian and arab customers. Restaurant male staff very pleasant. Clean and tidy hotel with huge rooms and high ornate celings, highly decorated in moroccan tiles and painted cornices, marble and silk lavish furnishings, but could do with a freshen up, average space in rooms, balcony with chairs and table overlooking the pool. Only 2 english channels on tv. The food was excellent and of high standard (buffet), always a hot chicken, fish, pasta vegetable and potato dish with plenty of salads and traditional cake sweet desserts. Cans of drinks 20 dirams (1.50 ish). Remember there is a tourist tax here of £2.00 per night or(there abouts) per person. The pool was very large but to be honest they did not remove leaves or remove the suntan oil floating on the top. Plenty of sunbeds and brollys but all needed mattresses and were ripped and broken. music blares out at top volume from 0900 till lunchtime and again in the afternoon, it appears this adds to the ambience of the pool(no really!) - we asked for the volume to be turned down as there was only 4 of us around the pool. Towels were very small and not completely dry when handed out. The water was very cold, refreshing when it was so hot, the ladders only had one rung, its was very deep ranging from 1 metre to 2.90 metres . We never saw anyone clean it in the 7 days we stayed.Smoking is allowed in the hotel and around the pool but no alcohol served. The dogs nearby that roam around were barking all night, the taxis are parked close by, they did not cause any hassle or noise, the shopping centre 5 mins walk away had loads of small shops, a large supermarket which isn’t necessarily cheap - loads of restaurants pizzas, burgers etc and was buzzing all day and night.
The nice male receptionist who spoke some english booked a taxi guide who took us to a few places - old town, the medina, monuments and gardens and new town for £30 and was worth it. The Ryad courtesy bus picked up guests from all the Ryad hotel group and dropped off twice, it was always full and many ended up standing up - if there was an accident im not sure if your travel insurance would be valid. No trips or spa activities were offered.

Room Tip: Yes i would go to the hotel again but would recommend a customer service course to the female recept...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

spent 3 of the worst nights at this horrific hotel and I wish there was a better refund policy from the third party site where my friend booked the hotel from.

let me just start by saying the staff is HORRIBLE and very UNPROFESSIONAL. on countless occasions I had to argue my way to get what I want. The female recpetionist who I believe is from Spain (wish I remembered her name) takes the cake with the rudeness, I'm not sure if it's a cultural thing being that Marrakech is very city like and people move at a faster pace with a no nonsense attitude. In any case I never felt like the staff was respectful or accomodating.

The decor of the hotel was terrible and looked like it hadn't been updated in years, the pictures on the website does a great job at decieving people to make it appear to look decent.

Our room was pretty large I must say however it was really dusty with a carpet floor and thick dusty curtains that seemd like it had not been cleaned for months. The bathroom was ok no complaints there. When I asked reception if I can switch to a room with marble floor as oppose to carpet of course the answer was a rude NO.

The food (or lack of ) was DISGUSTING the breakfast options were scarce bread, cucumbers, tomatoes,and this watery honey that was gross. I filled myself with juice and cold croissants the dining area was not even appealing enough for me to even sit and eat the "meal" luckily there was an almaazar walking distance from the hotel where we were able to dine

as far as activities slim to none at the hotel. I wanted to use their gym facilities but it was hardly ever open at the times that they were supposed to be open. When we first arrived I mentioned to the receptionist how I really wanted to do the camel riding he than told me how the hotel offers a special for an afternoon with camel riding and transportation to and from the palmerie for about $500 DIRHAMS. I thought it was a bit pricey as I had done prior research and found that some camel rides were at 100 dirhams and transportation at 100 as well. Needless to say the female who was in charge of the phones in the reception area told us that she had a friend that would take us there for a good price etc etc. so I took her up on her offer and her taxi friend guy came and an entire debacle panned out in the lobby between the co-workers since it technically "was not her job" to do that. in any case it was very unprofessional and annoying.
when we got back from the palmerie the guy at the front desk kept telling me hard headed I was and how I should have went with the hotel...(very rude)

the hotel provided a bus that took you to the market square and to the new city. what the driver failed to do was call out the stops when we reached only to leave it up to the tourist imagination to find out where we were, At one point when we were trying to get to Gueliz he forgot to mention the stop and we wound up near the non commercial area of gueliz not so great when you don't know where your going.

If I were you I would definately think twice before booking this place there is actually a hotel literally right next door from this one that is beautiful! it's worth the extra bucks

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

This was our family's first visit to Morocco, we were overwhelmed by the service the staff provided especially by a lady called Layla. She advised us of excursions and answered questions we had with a smile. The room was clean, spacious an the view from our balcony was beautiful. Breakfast was nice too. We recommend this hotel for its value, cleanliness and wonderful staff.

• Stayed August 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

our hotel trip was amazing. we were welcomed by a nice fella from the evening staff. our room got booked by someone else by mistake so we ended up getting the suite room which was amazing and spacious. food was fantastic especially the lady who makes them pancakes at the back of the hall. the staff need to keep checking the water is hot for tea though. brilliant view from the suite room and from the top of the stairs. brilliant swimming pool area. laila who is from the morning staff was nice to us and organised the trip to the Atlas Mountain and let us stay for an hour more at hotel as our bus catching was booked for late due to no room. we had to catch a taxi to center due to bus being full. I would recommend this hotel to others and have enjoyed the stay.

UK resident

• Stayed August 2013
London, Uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We arrived late at 2.30am but as we were on half board a cold meal had been kept for us which was very welcome - and an indication of the great service we received from everyone. Reception staff spoke excellent English and gave good recommendations about where we should visit and provided us with maps. The free shuttle service regularly takes you to the city so even though the hotel is a way out of the medina, this doesn't mean you miss out on anything.
Rooms were average in terms of decor but very well kept with daily clean sheets and towels. A small fridge was available which was useful for bottled water and stopping my vaseline melting!
Food was ok - breakfast was French pastries, eggs, yogurt and a lady who cooked fresh pancakes. The fruit selection was not as good as I'd hoped with only oranges and sometimes melon so a bit more variety would have been nice. Evening meal consisted of a great variety of salads - rice, potato, coleslaw, beetroot etc - and then a choice of fish, chicken or lamb for main. Mains were served with one vegetable and a choice of potatoes, pasta or rice. There was also soup with bread rolls, and then dessert was a selection of small cakes and fruit. It did get a little boring (we were there for 10 days) but it was all tasty, warm enough and plenty of it. Drinks were additional to the half board cost so just be aware that you will still need some cash.
The pool was fab - big, plenty of loungers and umbrellas and regularly cleaned. Sometimes music was played which was ok but I preferred it when it was quiet.
Overall I thought this was a great hotel for a long stay - far enough out to have a big pool, large public spaces and air conditioned bedrooms but close enough that you could visit the medina for shopping, sightseeing or just people watching.
We spent a day by the coast in Essaouira and another day out at the cascades in the Atlas mountains and I highly recommend both to add to your time in Marrakech.

• Stayed July 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

-Staff
Hepful. But not very polite. Also tried to put us in activities where they would make money.
-Rooms
Excellent. Very clean and spacious.
-Public areas
Clean and well maintained. Pool area very relaxing.
-Restaurant
Impressive that the hotel doesn't encourage eating outside (tables not clean and prepared), but preferably inside this hall. In a country where sunshine ia standard, the veranda in front of the pool is a must.
-Location
In an area full of new hotels, 5' from the airport, 5' from the centre. Taxis all around.
-Amenities
Fine, including spa and massage. There should be some more non-arabic TV channels though.
-Prices
Value for money. Also for drinks and coffees, everything is reasonable.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Ryad Mogador Kasbah? Share your experiences!