“HORRIBLE!!! DONT GO HERE EVEN IF IT'S FREE” 1 of 5 stars

Ryad Mogador Kasbah
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Zone Touristique Agdal, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #313 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Brooklyn, New York, United States
“HORRIBLE!!! DONT GO HERE EVEN IF IT'S FREE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

spent 3 of the worst nights at this horrific hotel and I wish there was a better refund policy from the third party site where my friend booked the hotel from.

let me just start by saying the staff is HORRIBLE and very UNPROFESSIONAL. on countless occasions I had to argue my way to get what I want. The female recpetionist who I believe is from Spain (wish I remembered her name) takes the cake with the rudeness, I'm not sure if it's a cultural thing being that Marrakech is very city like and people move at a faster pace with a no nonsense attitude. In any case I never felt like the staff was respectful or accomodating.

The decor of the hotel was terrible and looked like it hadn't been updated in years, the pictures on the website does a great job at decieving people to make it appear to look decent.

Our room was pretty large I must say however it was really dusty with a carpet floor and thick dusty curtains that seemd like it had not been cleaned for months. The bathroom was ok no complaints there. When I asked reception if I can switch to a room with marble floor as oppose to carpet of course the answer was a rude NO.

The food (or lack of ) was DISGUSTING the breakfast options were scarce bread, cucumbers, tomatoes,and this watery honey that was gross. I filled myself with juice and cold croissants the dining area was not even appealing enough for me to even sit and eat the "meal" luckily there was an almaazar walking distance from the hotel where we were able to dine

as far as activities slim to none at the hotel. I wanted to use their gym facilities but it was hardly ever open at the times that they were supposed to be open. When we first arrived I mentioned to the receptionist how I really wanted to do the camel riding he than told me how the hotel offers a special for an afternoon with camel riding and transportation to and from the palmerie for about $500 DIRHAMS. I thought it was a bit pricey as I had done prior research and found that some camel rides were at 100 dirhams and transportation at 100 as well. Needless to say the female who was in charge of the phones in the reception area told us that she had a friend that would take us there for a good price etc etc. so I took her up on her offer and her taxi friend guy came and an entire debacle panned out in the lobby between the co-workers since it technically "was not her job" to do that. in any case it was very unprofessional and annoying.
when we got back from the palmerie the guy at the front desk kept telling me hard headed I was and how I should have went with the hotel...(very rude)

the hotel provided a bus that took you to the market square and to the new city. what the driver failed to do was call out the stops when we reached only to leave it up to the tourist imagination to find out where we were, At one point when we were trying to get to Gueliz he forgot to mention the stop and we wound up near the non commercial area of gueliz not so great when you don't know where your going.

If I were you I would definately think twice before booking this place there is actually a hotel literally right next door from this one that is beautiful! it's worth the extra bucks

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

298 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

This was our family's first visit to Morocco, we were overwhelmed by the service the staff provided especially by a lady called Layla. She advised us of excursions and answered questions we had with a smile. The room was clean, spacious an the view from our balcony was beautiful. Breakfast was nice too. We recommend this hotel for its value, cleanliness and wonderful staff.

• Stayed August 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

our hotel trip was amazing. we were welcomed by a nice fella from the evening staff. our room got booked by someone else by mistake so we ended up getting the suite room which was amazing and spacious. food was fantastic especially the lady who makes them pancakes at the back of the hall. the staff need to keep checking the water is hot for tea though. brilliant view from the suite room and from the top of the stairs. brilliant swimming pool area. laila who is from the morning staff was nice to us and organised the trip to the Atlas Mountain and let us stay for an hour more at hotel as our bus catching was booked for late due to no room. we had to catch a taxi to center due to bus being full. I would recommend this hotel to others and have enjoyed the stay.

UK resident

• Stayed August 2013
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We arrived late at 2.30am but as we were on half board a cold meal had been kept for us which was very welcome - and an indication of the great service we received from everyone. Reception staff spoke excellent English and gave good recommendations about where we should visit and provided us with maps. The free shuttle service regularly takes you to the city so even though the hotel is a way out of the medina, this doesn't mean you miss out on anything.
Rooms were average in terms of decor but very well kept with daily clean sheets and towels. A small fridge was available which was useful for bottled water and stopping my vaseline melting!
Food was ok - breakfast was French pastries, eggs, yogurt and a lady who cooked fresh pancakes. The fruit selection was not as good as I'd hoped with only oranges and sometimes melon so a bit more variety would have been nice. Evening meal consisted of a great variety of salads - rice, potato, coleslaw, beetroot etc - and then a choice of fish, chicken or lamb for main. Mains were served with one vegetable and a choice of potatoes, pasta or rice. There was also soup with bread rolls, and then dessert was a selection of small cakes and fruit. It did get a little boring (we were there for 10 days) but it was all tasty, warm enough and plenty of it. Drinks were additional to the half board cost so just be aware that you will still need some cash.
The pool was fab - big, plenty of loungers and umbrellas and regularly cleaned. Sometimes music was played which was ok but I preferred it when it was quiet.
Overall I thought this was a great hotel for a long stay - far enough out to have a big pool, large public spaces and air conditioned bedrooms but close enough that you could visit the medina for shopping, sightseeing or just people watching.
We spent a day by the coast in Essaouira and another day out at the cascades in the Atlas mountains and I highly recommend both to add to your time in Marrakech.

• Stayed July 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

-Staff
Hepful. But not very polite. Also tried to put us in activities where they would make money.
-Rooms
Excellent. Very clean and spacious.
-Public areas
Clean and well maintained. Pool area very relaxing.
-Restaurant
Impressive that the hotel doesn't encourage eating outside (tables not clean and prepared), but preferably inside this hall. In a country where sunshine ia standard, the veranda in front of the pool is a must.
-Location
In an area full of new hotels, 5' from the airport, 5' from the centre. Taxis all around.
-Amenities
Fine, including spa and massage. There should be some more non-arabic TV channels though.
-Prices
Value for money. Also for drinks and coffees, everything is reasonable.

• Stayed May 2013
Cascais, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We arrived from Portugal on th 22th of April and at a first glance it looked for what we expected. The hotel has good open spaces and the lobby and reception area puts you in the Maroco atmosphere ,We stayed on the 1st floor overlooking the beautyfull main entrance and the water fountain ! The rooms are with large dimensions,mini fridge and free safe inside !Internet wi fi acess is good and also free !We also had a comunicatig room that they open when we requested. Housekeeping does a great job, with a very good cleaning and always with a smile on their faces. they also change towels everyday !Bathrooms have all you need in a 4 star hotel in europe and they change shower amenities everyday, even iff you don´t use them.
The front desk staff are very helpfull , the best of them for us was Mr.Mehdi who spoke a very good english and booked us a mornin tour to the city with a experienced driver and guide who at the end of the tour gave us a box full of traditional candy .Mr.Mehdi also arranjed for us the Fantasia dinner at Chez Ali , at a great spot with pick up and drop off included. They all were very helpfull to us all. The hotel is located in the new city area ,has great open spaces, large garden areas, a very traditional tea room, a cousy bar area ( no alchool drinks at the hotel ) the rooms also have a large balcony that you use to relax after a day at the city . Also inside the hotel they have a Spa that you can use , with free acess to the gym and with very good prices for sauna and massages comparing to Europe. The breakfast and meals area is very open space, with large windows , with the pool area and gardens all arround . You can even ear the birds in the morning while you have your buffet breakfast , that as everything you can want and also some very good traditional made on the spot "pancakes". we booked with half-board included and the buffet dinner was always diferent everyday with some very good traditional menus that go from meat , fish and vegetables.You only have to pay for drinks and a 1.5l bottle of water will cost you only 25 MAD (€2.5) at the dinner rrom.The pool is big,clean and you have enough sun chairs for everybody.The only negative thing I have to say for this hotel is regarding the pool service , that is slow the guy that hands the towels is not very friendly and one day he tried to auto tip himself , wanting us to sign a receipt for 260 MAD (€26) of towels that he said we didin´t returned and ice creams that we never order. That scam didin´t work with us but for you all travellers , keep this advice in mind. The pool towels are for free and you don´t have to pay for them. The hotel is also near a new shopping center , Alzamar that inside you can find a big supermarket and all the normal european shops. A free shuttle service is available , that stars at 10h in the morning and stops at 22h nightime .If you take a taxi from the city center , you will pay 2x the normal ride price if you go from the hotel to center.Normal in Marrakech , try always firts to arranje the final price. Overall we had a great time and we left with the feeling of leaving some friends back at the hotel . We had a great stay and a great experience.Thank you Ryad Mogador Kasbah .

Room Tip: Try to get the rooms facing one of the entrances of the hotel , because the rooms with the pool view...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Cascais, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Because i work in a hotel in Portugal I had great expectations for this hotel and I can now tell you its a very good choice. The Hotel is situated in the new city area , but very close to the old Marrakech and the center point of it,the Place Djemaa el Fna, Hotel Front Desk staff speaks english,french and some spanish and are very helpfull . Best one for me was Mr. Mehdi, very friendly and helpfull.They provide maps and info if you need them and can solve quite fast any problem that you have. Mr.Mehdi also got me a very nice tour guide who took me for a four hour tour to Marrkech and at the end of the tour as a gift,,he gave us a box full of traditional candy but that was maybe to thank us for buying stuff at the medina after we visit the tanneries . The rooms are quite good ,lots of space, good and large sleeping beds and bathrooms have everything you cold expected in a 4 star hotel in europe, you have also a very large balcony were you can relax after a day in the old city and A/C works fine (hot or cold). Housekeeping does a very good work , the rooms are very well cleaned.They change towels and provide new shower itens everyday.Breakfast is good ,buffet style with all you could expect and some very good made on the hour traditional like pancakes.They don´t have a lot of cold meats at breakfast. Because we booked for half board we had dinner included and we had always everyday different menus that were very very good. If you need something you could also talk to the chef who is always present at dinner time. Gardens and pool area is very good, well kept and clean and the only negative point I have to say about this hotel , is because the pool guy one day tried to auto tip himself and wanted me to sign for a 260 MAD for ice creams and unreturned poo towels that I didin´t even order . Remember that pool towels are free . Besides that , our overall experience was very good !! You also have a bar in the hotel with daily music ( they dont serve alchool drinks in the hotel ) and a very big tea room and a Spa with free gym and good value sauna and massages prices. You also have a free shuttle that goes to town until from 10h00 in the morning and stops at 22h00 at night time . Nearby you have a new shopping center called Alzamar that as inside a big supermarket and all the kind of shops like Europe. We had a great time and experience hope to return again to this hotel and city . You leave the hotel feeling that you have made friends !!

Room Tip: Try to get the rooms facing the main entrance so you get the sun rise and the fountain view ! the ro...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ryad Mogador Kasbah? Share your experiences!