“Beautiful oasis, great location amazing staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Hadika Maria

Save Saved
You added Riad Hadika Maria to your Saves list
Riad Hadika Maria
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   40 derb Zemrane | Hart Soura - Médina, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #604 of 1,040 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Beautiful oasis, great location amazing staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Staying at the Riad was one of the highlights of the trip. The room was phenomenal, beautiful and great value for money. All the staff were beyond friends especially the manager Alex. The Riad is difficult to find if its your first time but Alex came and escorted me from the main street, besides why would other reviewers book accommodation in the old quarter of Marrakesh (Medina) and then complains about the narrow medieval streets, and sometimes difficult navigation?
When I arrived at the bus stop, my bag was stolen and Alex took the better part of an afternoon taking me to police station and translating for me.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Gazelle room which was spacious
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

112 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Czech first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We had been that riad for our honeymoon. That was really hard to find but it is worth the money we paid. It is in the middle of real culture. If you offer candy or something to children who play on the street, they can even help you. It has lovely, beautiful swimming pool, they had fixed breakfast but it is very enjoyable to have a breakfast at the roof.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The Riad is nearly impossible to find if you have no experience with souks (tiny, narrow, confusing streets). As a Turkish with tons of experience Grand Bazaar and similar venues, we managed to find the riad very easily day and night. But if you get lost at the souks, the Riad offers you a service which you can call the Riad and someone from the staff comes and takes you to the Riad for free (speaking only French).

The atmosphere, the look, the style of the Riad is amazing and charming. A very lovely and boutique Riad. Also very clean, fly-free (!!!!! - billions of flies at Marrakech) and offering a lovely, small swimming pool if you get too hot.

There are some more negative issues about the Riad however. The first and the most annoying one is the staff's attitude. Although we agreed on paying by credit card via booking.com, the staff tried to collect the money in cash! When we explained them that it is impossible, we dont travel with that amount of cash on us, they said the credit card machine is broken!!!!!
Then I sent an email to the manager of the Riad explaining the problem and she helped us by charging from our credit card. After that day, the staff didnt even look at us while serving the breakfast. No eye contact. We felt as if we committed a crime. Kept talking behind us in French (which none of us can understand), bla, bla, bla... The worst staff we have met in our lifes (except the kind night-shift dude).

The breakfast is poor. No egg or cheese or delicatessen... Only a few pan cakes, butter and jam.

No complimentary soap or shampoo at the rooms.

But, despite all these facts, the Riad is a very lovely, special place to stay. Esp. the rooms are fantastic. And the manager is always available by mail and solves the problem asap. Thanks to her once more although we couldnt meet...

Room Tip: Sultane is one of the best decorated and big rooms of the Riad.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Faaborg, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Nice and clean riad (was there at a home exchange). Breakfast is OK (5 €) and dinner traditionel (15 €). Very quite, was there in july (2012) to hot, 48 degr. Choose spring or autumn. Some of the staff speak a little english, rest france/arabic.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Northallerton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Horrible experience, after walking a terrible , scary area of Marrakech for around an hour we had to pay a guy to show us where it was ( before arguing about payment, we gave him 40 dihrams), there was no answer after knocking for 20 minutes so he took us back to wait nervously in his street stall while he made a phone call. We went back there again to wait another 20 minutes for her to turn up ( after paying an extra 20 dihrams) She then searched for 10 minutes to find our reservation. After finding our room we were to scared to head out and find dinner so we stayed in hungry, exhausted and scared until the next morning. Never ever go here. Also the arguments in French around the courtyard in the morning by the staff weren't helpful. On the other hand the Riad is very nice and relaxing inside.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

My partner and I have just returned from a five-day trip to Morocco, the first two-nights of which were spent in the Riad Hadika Maria.

To start with the positives, the rooms are relatively clean, and the rooftop terrace is a relaxing place to have breakfast. The breakfast itself is adequate - croissant, crepe, coffee, jam and honey. When I stayed there was wi-fi access with no PIN required; not sure if this was actually there for residents' use though, so I wouldn't rely on it.

Now on to the negatives.

Firstly, there is no hot water. I showered in ice cold water and my partner didn't wash at all. She is quite fragrant, fortunately.

Secondly, none of the doors have locks on the outside. There is a sliding bolt on the inside so you can lock the door whilst you sleep, but you cannot lock the door when you leave for the day unless you have had the foresight to take your own padlock. I did ask the owner if I could borrow a padlock but it never materialised. Consequently we had to take all our valuables with us when wandering around the medina, which only added to our anxiety.

Thirdly, the pool is too small to swim in - not really a massive negative, but I thought I'd mention it in case a keen swimmer chose this place on the basis of the pool.

Finally, and this is a much bigger negative than it may sound (were it not for this factor I would have given it a "3") this place is almost impossible to find. It is located in the middle of 6,000 virtually identical, featureless alleyways with hardly any signposts or landmarks. It is, quite literally, a maze. It took us 2-3 hours of desperate wandering to find our way home each time. The alleys are teeming with quite threatening young men who will pester you and follow you relentlessly in an effort to profit from your misfortune. At first, we naively accepted help from a man who seemed genuinely eager to help us find our way. It ended up quite ugly though when he started demanding (quite a lot of) money and rejecting what I tried to give him (which was all I had at that point). You have to very quickly develop a stern, no-nonsense demeanour and bark "NO THANKS", or "LA CHOUKRAN" several times a minute in order to fend off the constant assaults from moneygrabbing locals.

The owners will provide you with a basic hand-drawn map to help you find your way home, but it is pretty useless. I am quite well-travelled and usually unfazed by being pestered, but the intensity and aggression of the harassment in this area was something else. Me and my partner were left quite exhausted by the time we did manage to get home each time. At one point she became really upset as it looked like we would either be out all night or have to enlist the help of a dodgy teenager who would most likely rip us off and/or threaten us.

It baffles me how a place can sell itself as a tourist destination and yet be this un-user-friendly. A few signposts, some decent maps, some street names, the odd policeman, anything would help make this place less of a nightmare. Yes, it might sound cool to "lose yourself in a labyrinth of patchouli-scented souks amidst a multitude of Berber arts and crafts" but really it's not like that. It's more like endless, desperate gauntlet-running between thousands of unctuous predators bent on abusing you. I am convinced I now know what hell feels like. It is unfortunate that the Riad Hadika Maria is situated right in the middle of all this, as otherwise it is a passable place to stay.

All in all, our stay in Riad Hadika Maria left us with a very bad impression of Marrakech, and we were glad to escape. Not that Agadir was much better - just easier to navigate home amidst the obnoxious salesmen.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sherazade, which has a bath with a shower head that you can use if you squat and ho...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

I feel bad for giving a bad review but when it comes down to value and safety, there are many other riads to go for. Here's my take when I went Feb 2012.

Pros:
Abdullah the guy working there is really nice. Doesn't speak a lick of English, so brush up on your French or charades skills

Cons:
So hard to find and I mean really hard to find. Problem with that is, if you arrive at night the taxi will drop you off about 3-5 minutes walk away. This part of the medina is difficult to navigate through even in day time and even more difficult if this is your first time to Marrakech. after getting lost and often down dark and scary alleys, I had no choice but to get help from one of the locals which was a huge mistake because they act all friendly to you (generally Moroccans are very nice) and when I tried to negotiate the cost up front they told me no problem, it's okay. Of course, after I was brought to the riad these kids (both around late teens) asked for 200d each (aka ~40 euros). You can imagine the shock. after some discussions they threaten to slash my face and made other threats if I didn't pay 400d. In the end we settled on 150d total (aka 12 euros) but that just left a bad taste in my mouth for my first experience of marrakech. if you think about it, that 12 euros could have upgraded me to a much nicer riad and I wouldn't have had to endure the threats and lost an hour of my time. so lesson learned there is sometimes trying to save some money isn't worth it especially if your life is threatened.

other cons: no toiletries, no wi-fi, no service.

the only reason why i'm not giving it a 1 star is because of Abdullah. after my run in with the punks, Abdullah did walk with me through the medina to get food and water. And the next day he guided me to Jemma El Fna at 7:30am to meet my Sahara tour which was really nice of him.

But like I said, it wasn't worth risking my life to save a few euros. And I felt as a staff he could have protected the interest of his guests. He was just standing there quietly the whole time while I negotiated my way out of a jam.

In case you don't believe me and you still decide to check in to this riad, just know if a kid name Moustafa comes up to you, you better walk the other way.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to Riad Hadika Maria? Share your experiences!