“Looks like a museum inside” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Specialty Shops
Attraction Details
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 attraction reviews
“Looks like a museum inside”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

In a souk filled with "the same old stuff" lies Ethno Art Gallery. When you get sick of keychains and knock-off Ray Bans, you need to find it. Youssef was VERY friendly and the selection is breath-taking. He showed us the entire facility including the all important shipping room. (see pic)

So much of what you are offered elsewhere is tourist junk. This is the real deal. Our host knows the background of every item, what family made it and where it came from. When you get home that info just makes the item more special. Thank you Youssef!

Visited October 2012

San Antonio, Texas
“A museum of Morocco, where anything can be taken home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2009

Having read the reviews here about the Ethno Art Gallery and only by coincidence finding it, we decided to venture in. The first floor contained various pieces of artwork; paintings, sculpture, furniture, etc... We were amazed. Rachid, our salesman was very helpful and knowledgeable. Regardless of what we asked about, he could tell us about the creator, its period in Moroccan history, and other facts about it. To say that he knew his inventory was an understatement.

We were interested in purchasing two smaller rugs, and Rachid escorted us to the large basement which was full of rugs. We enjoyed what was probably the best mint tea of the whole trip while sitting on a couch as he and his helpers pulled down rugs and showed the different styles and techniques of knitting rugs. We decided the type of rug that we wanted and he insturcted his workers to begin pulling rugs out. After a brief Arabic lesson, he had us directing the helpers to leave the rug out, or return it to the stack.

The variety of rugs can't be understated. We purchased two rugs from Rachid and could not be happier with them. They were expertly packed by his helpers and easily made the trip back to the US intact. Although we had a limited budget, Rachid helped us find something that we would enjoy tremendously.

Ethno Art Gallery may not be the cheapest shop in Marrakesh for art or rugs, but it is probably the best. The salespeople were not pushy like in other stores, but were very reasonable in their attempts to close the sale. English was spoken very well.

I will certainly be back in Marrakesh to shop more at the Ethno Art Gallery on my next trip.

france
“An oasis in the souk rush!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

this is the place to find a unique piece of traditional Morocan piece of art in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere....
We came in that shop attracted by the wonderful items showed in the window and the rest of the shop was amazing! we felt like being at the museum, every product was full of the magical history of Morocco...
The staff is really helpful and knows a lot about all the origin of their products, they are the experts! plus they don't force you buying things you don't really need like in other shops of the souk, this is more than enjoyable!
the mint tea served in the basement full of berbere carpet makes you feel being special guest in the Ali Baba world!

I don't usually make comments on the Internet about shops I visited, yet I really think this one worth it...try to make your way until the Ethno Art Shop and ask for Youssef.
You'll have a great time, for sure!

gent
5 attraction reviews
“The place to find authencity and quality items”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2009

The place to find authenticity and quality items
On our first trip in april 2008 we decided not to buy anything but after entering Etno Art Gallery we couldn't resist the magnificent carpets and tables. We were welcomed by Mr Chakib in a relaxed friendly way, sharing a tea, listening to his adequate explanation and without any hassle showing us wathever we wanted. We bought old berber carpets, 3 techniques and a touareg table. We had all of them expertised back home in Belgium and got the confirmation about the authencity,and quality as we were told in the shop by Mr Chakib as well as the unbeatable price. 2 weeks ago we walked into the shop again on our second trip to Morocco and were cought by 2 old carpets, an old door and a kelim just like a painting. All of them are gems and although we wandered through the north and south of the country looking for similar ones we couldn't find any close to the quality of Etno Art Gallery. Moreover tell them what you require and they will go out in search of it and you'll be astonished. Before coming we send them an email describing our wish for an old kelim, couldn't believe my eyes, such a beauty they found but only one. You can be sure to get exceptional, unique pieces at this place at unbeatable prices.The expedition from door to door was always perfect

london
“The place to shop in Marrakech!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2008

Within 2hours of landing in Marrakech I ventured out in to the souks of the medina. Like most westerners who value their personal space it was a culture shock of noise and souk sellers pressuring me in to buying from them by blocking my path & on many occaisions physically dragging me in to their stalls. It was all getting to much just as I spotted a shop which was clearly a cut above the rest and the type of place I figured I might find something a bit special after seeing the same goods for sale shop after shop. I entered expecting to be put upon the minute my foot passed the threshold but was pleasantly suprised to have found the one shop that not only had the most amazing goods covering everything from jewelry to most furniture items, but was one of the few places I found in the Medina where shopping became both a chilled an pampered event with offers of a seat or some mint tea whilst I persused the many pieces on offer whilst being helped by pleasant sales assistants who "yes wanted to make a sale" but the goal was to make a good sale so I would come back, rather than shaft a tourist in to buying something they didnt want for more money than they should pay, which sadly is the norm throught the souk. Needless to say my visa card took a battering but I challenge anyone who has a space in their pad that they are looking to fill with something a bit special to leave Ethno Art empty handed.!