“Nice Riad, Sketchy Area” 4 of 5 stars

Riad Al Tainam
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Derb saada | Arset Houta, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #707 of 1,135 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Australia
“Nice Riad, Sketchy Area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed here for one night at the end of our trip. Managed to get a taxi from the main bus station for 60 Dirham (not the cheapest but best we could do on the day). The taxi can't go all the way to the door so you will need a map or an address written down to show some locals to get directions. You can get an airport transfer through the riad, door to door (you will have a guide from the closest street to the riad) for 15€ and I would suggest this if you are flying in.

The owner and night security speak English fairly well and are pretty accomodating. Previous reviews about the fixtures and amenities are correct. While they look nice every tap leaks and the shower floods quite easily. Otherwise the rooms and beds are quite clean and the airconditioning works well.

The free breakfast was good. Quite simple but tasted great and included breakfasts are always a plus for me.

We had an airport transfer the next day and the owner let us keep our bags in reception until 4.30pm after checkout which was great. The airport transfer was through the riad and while a little pricey you don't have to deal with any taxi drivers and it is door to door.

The only real negative I had about our stay here was the riads location. It's about a 10min walk to the main square but the neighbourhood you have to travel through is very rough. Locals live here so expect to hassled when you walk down the street. My girlfriend said she wouldn't walk alone here in daylight or at night. Be prepared to be offered drugs as well. This happened every time we walked to the main square. Just say no and they will leave you alone

• Stayed July 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2015

Lovely little riad, the staff were friendly, especially the security guard, who was very courteous. The room was basic, which was fine for what we wanted, kept cool all day so was nice to come back after being in 30 degrees all day. The bathroom needed updating, drain in shower took a while to drain away, and the toilet took a while to fill up so we could only flush it a couple times a day, didn't bother us that much but may bother others. The riad however is lovely and has traditional Moroccan decor, basic facilities but that was fine for us as we spent most of the day out exploring marrakesh. The riad is about a 10 minute walk from the main square, down streets where many locals live, this can be very intimidating, especially at night, just make sure you ignore the 'guides', sometimes it's best asking other tourists where places are if you are lost. When we first arrived, the taxi driver dumped us a couple streets away and told a local to take us to the riad, who we then had to pay. This was quite daunting since we arrived at night, so I recommend booking a taxi through the riad, so you don't have to pay any additional money. Overall, we had a great stay here, and will definitely be returning!

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2015

We stayed for 2 nights. The staff were friendly and helpful enough. I can't help noticing that most of the people who think the staff are rude seem to also expect them to speak English so would have had trouble communicating. You're in another country. If they came to your country and expected to be able to only get by in French or Moroccan Arabic you'd want them to go home. I've never learnt French, only picked up a few phrases here and there. I downloaded some phrase lists in French & Moroccan to my phone, so I was able to make an effort to do whatever I could in French. They seemed to be grateful for that and tried to speak in English for me as much as they could.

Even though we saw local young guys wearing shorts & T-Shirts & sandals or crocs, we dressed mindfully, wearing light long-sleeved clothes (it doesn't hurt to make an effort to be noticed for the right reasons & I felt it made a difference). We were respectful and considerate of their culture and the people we were served by showed appreciation and were respectful and friendly back to us.

The things I liked:
The traditional breakfast (croissants, Moroccan fried bread similar to Malaysian roti, coffee, orange juice, mint tea - see photo)
The little pool in the middle of the building - a strong smell of chlorine & a few drowned wasps, but it was good to cool your feet in or have a little dip which we did (very hot there in August!)
The room was cleaned daily and well looked after.
The bed was comfortable & clean.
The cupboards in the room were a good size and convenient for putting our stuff out of site.
The tents on the terrace on the roof were a nice place to chill out.
The security guards sternly sending away a guy who tried and follow me home from the street hassling for money.
It is an easy walk from here to Jamaa el Fna (the big square) with plenty to see along the way (via Sidi Boulabada & Dabachi)
The locally (hand) made brass taps in the bathroom sink look really cool (see photos) and I like the burnished concrete basin & tub/shower tray in the bathroom.

The things that weren't so great.

The plug holes & drains in the showers are tiny, locally made of brass & don't seem to be cleanable, so they don't drain the shower fast enough. (mine at home is wide, and made of plastic, I can pull it out and clean the drain to unblock it when it needs it... theirs stay blocked)

The shower trays are hand made from concrete (stained red & burnished - see photos) & look like a round bath, with walls about 15-25cms wide. Just as well, because once you start having a shower, the disgusting water backs up from the plug hole & the tray/bath thing starts filling up, so you need to stand balanced on the top of the wall to keep your feet out of the stinky sewerage water & keep your showers short enough that it doesn't fill up and flood. Once you've mastered that you can have a shower with not too much problem, but it's really what you want and it's not great that they don't do anything about it.
I had read about this on TripAdvisor before I went, not expecting we'd get the same - but I was forewarned, so wasn't too bothered.

Also on showers - the cheap plastic & metal domestic shower hose had been given too much punishment and had basically burst inside near the head and was spraying water out sideways (i.e. over the floor) when you used it. I told the staff and they weren't bothered to do anything, so I later pulled the head off the shower and fixed it up as best I could (which involved removing some of the torn plastic lining) - this stopped the worst of the spraying sideways, but meant you had to be careful the head didn't blow off the hose from the pressure. Again - not ideal.

I was grateful that there was Air-conditioning in the room, because I'd never experienced 43-45 degrees before... BUT the aircon unit was VERY noisy. I found the best way was to turn it on for long enough to cool the place down, then turn it off and go to sleep. After a while it would get too hot, so you'd turn it on again, but it was so loud you couldn't sleep. Let the room cool, turn it off and go back to sleep till it gets hot again. It had an infra-red remote, so you could do it without getting up.
The next place we stayed in (a big hotel) had great aircon which was almost silent when on the low setting and could be left like that all night leaving the perfect temperature. That's how it SHOULD be.

While we were there the whole place seemed to be run by 3 people. 2 security guards, one who did the day shift and one who did the night shift (there's someone in the office by the front door 24x7) and the woman who cooked the breakfasts & cleaned the rooms. I don't think she could speak any English, but she was friendly & helpful. The security guys could speak some English, and were helpful and polite too, not overly chatty though.

Don't get the security guys to order you a taxi - the taxi they get will cost a fair chunk more than you'd pay elsewhere. Bargain your fair with a driver yourself (or better still more than 1 driver) and you'll get a much better deal. Don't be in a hurry, or desperate or your bargaining position is weakened.

I'd stay there again if by myself, but my partner's had enough of Morocco after our trip (the difference in culture & lifestyle & climate isn't really her thing) I'd rate it as average to good, not "Very Good"

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2014

I stayed here for 5 days. Lady of 65. Excellent staff, comfortable beds. Ten minute walk to the main square. Residential area down quiet alleys a bit off putting but the unprepossessing front door opens into a charming reception and eating area. I felt very secure and comfortable here. Water always nice and hot. Roof terrace excellent. I think bad reviews are unfair. You don't expect luxury at this price and you certainly get excellent value here. I will return happily.Nothing was too much trouble for Adel the manager, Naima the cook/cleaner, or even Mustafa on night security, even when I raided the kitchen so I could make my tea the English way!!

• Stayed December 2014
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2014

We booked via the hostelbookers website and paid the deposit to the website before having a confirmation email regarding our booking sent through. Everything was in order and the room successfully booked.

However, when we arrived to the Riad late at night (which was difficult to find as the map on their website was incorrect) the owner told us we had no booking and when we proved that we did he said it wasn't his problem and waved us off. He refused to do anything to help us, including taking us to a different Riad. We were stuck in marrakech with nowhere to stay very late at night. He stated that the Riad was full so clearly there was an overbooking (which seems to be common).

So, very rude owner, difficult to find & overbooked so you're never actually guaranteed a room.

Don't even bother with this place.

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Århus, Danmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2014

We were greeted by a cleaning lady who only spoke french. We went out for some lunch after we'd checked in, but when we came back the manager wanted us to move to another Riad because he had double booked the room. We were vey tired after a long flight and we'd already unpacked so we didn't feel like moving at all. The manager explained to us that the rooms in the other Riad was much better, but when we came to the place there was no internet. As we were going to Agadir the next day we needed internet access to book hotel and bus tickets. The manager refused to give us any refund at all. And after a long and tiring discussion we were allowed to stay in the Riad al Tainam as we'd paid for. After this the staff was very rude and the next morning we were almost kicked out. Horrible experience.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We were in the riad Al Tainam in March of the last year and we didn't regret at all. It is located in the authentic area of Marrakech, Medina, and was very close to the square Jamaa El Fna.

The rooms were original and everything was very clean, Also, thanks to the owner, we had the opportunity to book a excursion to Ouarzazate.

Very nice hote in general

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple