“Great value for money!” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Guest house   |   Derb saada | Arset Houta, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #681 of 1,135 Marrakech B&B and Inns
“Great value for money!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Me and my bf stayed in this hotel for 3 night. We paid 80 Euros. Hotel organized an amazing mountain/ waterfall trip for us, and provide us with useful information. As we have all days planed before we decide to stay in cheap hotel to spend money on nice restaurants and days in spa instead. It was a great experience. Hotel is very close to Market and main sq. Definitely a place to stay in Marrakech.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Stockholm, Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

In March, I booked this riad but canceled almost immediately because of their lewd and rude response to some questions I had. Now, three months later, they charged my card for the full amount, ie 100%. I contacted booking.com and was told that I misunderstood the clause "up to 7 days." I thought it meant then on the seventh day before arrival.
But it comes all the time, even if you book and then cancel the riad one year before arrival, they will charge your card with 100% anyway.

I cancelled this riad 16 days before arrival but became be charged.

It has never happened to me before that a hotel would charge the full amount. 10-15%, it can be understood, but not 100% - I regard it as a theft really, rude and not polite or how I can say.

Therefore I write this review and warn all who intend to book this riad. Be sure however that you right understand their clause on booking so that you do not run into the same thing as me.
And even considering their unpleasant nonchalant way to answer both for booked and even now at my reaction to the charge, I can not imagine that it can be enjoyable stay there.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The location of this riad was exceptionally poor, in the roughest part of the souks, 15 minutes to the Djemaa al Fna. The greeting staff were very friendly, as was the cleaning lady, however the man I presume owns the riad was on the hard-sell about booking their excursions. Overall, the riad was very shabby, our toilet leaked and the bathrooms require repair. The bed linen was clean, but the pillows underneath were not. The breakfast was the same everyday, simple crepes and bread with coffee and orange juice; the dinner at the riad is UK prices for Marrakech food. I have stayed in Marrakech previously at riad Assala, which was the same price as Riad al Tainam, but was much more luxurious than this, in a much nicer part of town - we booked the other riad but this was given as our alternative when the previous closed down. I would not recommend unless you are an experienced traveler who doesn't mind their location much.

Room Tip: Choose a room which does not face out into the street - a lot of street noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Limerick, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We booked this Riad online, received confirmation and also received two emails from the Riad itself thanking us for our booking and answering our questions. When we arrived they said they had no record of our reservation, despite us showing the confirmation and the two emails that they had sent us about parking and meals. Since there was no other rooms for us we were without a place to stay and turned away.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Firstly, the hotel is at least 15min walk from the central square (Jeema al Fena) in Marrakesh, and in a outlying part of the medina, so factor this if travelling with a family or someone with disability. The location isn't clear on maps, so be prepared to pay for a local to assist you upon arrival.

Generally the staff were great, but I was upset by the day manager twice: I wanted to shorten my trip by 1 night, which he refused and thereby TOLD ME how to spend my holiday. Then, like a car salesperson, he wanted to sell me a day trip to the very same place I wanted to go to with the day!

The cleaning staff are great, but there was black mould in my bathroom. And the shower flooded the floor every time.

There is no buffet breakfast. You get a glass of juice, a cup of coffee, a roll and a moroccan pancake (msiman) with some butter and jam each. That's it!

Room Tip: Book one night. See if you like it, and extend your stay as needed.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Couldnt complain about the price. Get what you paid for. The room was quite nice but the bathroom needed a lot of work especially as the sinks were blocked and the shower turned into a bath. Very basic. Riad was nicely decorated.
It was hard trying to find the place and we would never have found it without asking a guide. We went into the souk at night and were lucky to find the place again as there are few street signs and no signposts to the Riad.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Florence
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in this affordable hotel. Our expectations were not high, considering the below average rates charged. The hotel is located in a quiet off-the-beaten track neighborhood. Relatively easy to find. The bathroom fixtures could do with some maintenance. The biggest drawback was the courtyard with a plunge-pool. Regrettably the courtyard has been sealed off with plastic on the roof, inhibiting fresh air to circulate at night and capturing the chloride smell of the pool indoors. Hence we were obliged to the use of air-conditioning in the rooms, which has been mounted just above the bed. Sleeping under an ice cold stream of air is not recommendable and can have bad health consequences (as it did in my case). Contrary to the statement on the website, we could not pay with creditcard. Nevertheless the staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Perhaps the rooms at the front are better, having an outward facing window.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family