“Relaxed riad” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #681 of 1,148 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Tamworth, United Kingdom
“Relaxed riad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2015

Lovely riad, nice rooms, friendly staff. Really enjoyed the breakfast. The shower was quite powerful, always hot water. Aircon was good. The manager was very helpful and arranged our trips at a very reasonable price. Relaxing on the beautiful sun terrace in the evening, felt quite at home. It isn't posh, just very nice. Would definitely stay there again.

Stayed September 2015
1 Thank jenny l

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2015 via mobile

The riad is exactly what you're booking. Cheap basic accommodation but it's friendly and clean. The owner will try and sell you excursions straight away but he's not too pushy.
Rooms were clean with ample space shower is leaky as are taps but it is what it is. There are prayer calls early morning which woke us up a couple of times and the local kids do play out the front but they're not troublesome.
Breakfast is included and lovely with oj coffee and mint tea included. You can eat downstairs or on the roof terrace which is impressive and has sun all day.the pool isn't a pool it's more of a feature in the middle of the downstairs and freezing.
Night security guard is lovely really helpful young man called ayoub. Polite helpful and tries really hard with English. The housekeeper lady who normally does breakfast is also very kind and accommodating.
Other than breakfast which is free the food is soooo overpriced and you can get much better for half the price in the square. We are here on the first day as it was easier but didn't again for the week.
Location - yes the riad is set down some scary looking back alley and no I wouldn't go out alone but I wouldn't do that in Marrakech at all. We came and left at all times of day and night and it was fine.
DO NOT LISTEN TO THE YOUNG KIDS as to where the big square is. They will take you out of the way to somewhere else completely. Download hip Marrakech on your phone it works while phone data roaming is off and will help navigate you round the streets. In general anyone going out of their way to help you is probably not helping you all that much especially with directions when they love to send you the other way for money making or pure entertainment. Bring trainers or comfy walking shoes and a scarf or something to wrap around your face whilst walking to the square as the locals all zip about on scooters and the fog and fumes in the back alleys gives you a sore throat.
If you want to do Marrakech the real life way this is where to stay to see what goes on.
Barter for everything...it's fun and you will get things for a lot less.
It's busy and manic but it's such an interesting place. Very enjoyable trip

Stayed November 2015, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2015

If you are looking for a mid range Riad with good facilities and breakfast included, this was great. I went at the end of October with the family and booked 2 rooms (1 double & 1 triple onsuite) the rooms were as requested and with AC, very clean well presented.

Pro's:
The cook is good
10mins walk through the local Souk to Jama al Fina Square
Wifi in rooms too.

Cons;
Can be difficult to find (especially at night).
Wifi was weak
Same breakfast served everyday (became boring)
The shower head was busted, leaking sink tap
Manager was only at the Riad in the mornings

Over all I would rate this Riad good especially if you want a mid range budge Riad with good facilities, AC etc.. My family had a lovely experience, good service and felt safe at all times. I would go back again and have recommended it to friends already.

Room Tip: Check the shower and taps incase they are leaking etc.
  • Stayed October 2015, traveled with family
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2015

We stayed here for one night at the end of our trip. Managed to get a taxi from the main bus station for 60 Dirham (not the cheapest but best we could do on the day). The taxi can't go all the way to the door so you will need a map or an address written down to show some locals to get directions. You can get an airport transfer through the riad, door to door (you will have a guide from the closest street to the riad) for 15€ and I would suggest this if you are flying in.

The owner and night security speak English fairly well and are pretty accomodating. Previous reviews about the fixtures and amenities are correct. While they look nice every tap leaks and the shower floods quite easily. Otherwise the rooms and beds are quite clean and the airconditioning works well.

The free breakfast was good. Quite simple but tasted great and included breakfasts are always a plus for me.

We had an airport transfer the next day and the owner let us keep our bags in reception until 4.30pm after checkout which was great. The airport transfer was through the riad and while a little pricey you don't have to deal with any taxi drivers and it is door to door.

The only real negative I had about our stay here was the riads location. It's about a 10min walk to the main square but the neighbourhood you have to travel through is very rough. Locals live here so expect to hassled when you walk down the street. My girlfriend said she wouldn't walk alone here in daylight or at night. Be prepared to be offered drugs as well. This happened every time we walked to the main square. Just say no and they will leave you alone

• Stayed July 2015, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank Cvaningen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2015 via mobile

Lovely little riad, the staff were friendly, especially the security guard, who was very courteous. The room was basic, which was fine for what we wanted, kept cool all day so was nice to come back after being in 30 degrees all day. The bathroom needed updating, drain in shower took a while to drain away, and the toilet took a while to fill up so we could only flush it a couple times a day, didn't bother us that much but may bother others. The riad however is lovely and has traditional Moroccan decor, basic facilities but that was fine for us as we spent most of the day out exploring marrakesh. The riad is about a 10 minute walk from the main square, down streets where many locals live, this can be very intimidating, especially at night, just make sure you ignore the 'guides', sometimes it's best asking other tourists where places are if you are lost. When we first arrived, the taxi driver dumped us a couple streets away and told a local to take us to the riad, who we then had to pay. This was quite daunting since we arrived at night, so I recommend booking a taxi through the riad, so you don't have to pay any additional money. Overall, we had a great stay here, and will definitely be returning!

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2015

We stayed for 2 nights. The staff were friendly and helpful enough. I can't help noticing that most of the people who think the staff are rude seem to also expect them to speak English so would have had trouble communicating. You're in another country. If they came to your country and expected to be able to only get by in French or Moroccan Arabic you'd want them to go home. I've never learnt French, only picked up a few phrases here and there. I downloaded some phrase lists in French & Moroccan to my phone, so I was able to make an effort to do whatever I could in French. They seemed to be grateful for that and tried to speak in English for me as much as they could.

Even though we saw local young guys wearing shorts & T-Shirts & sandals or crocs, we dressed mindfully, wearing light long-sleeved clothes (it doesn't hurt to make an effort to be noticed for the right reasons & I felt it made a difference). We were respectful and considerate of their culture and the people we were served by showed appreciation and were respectful and friendly back to us.

The things I liked:
The traditional breakfast (croissants, Moroccan fried bread similar to Malaysian roti, coffee, orange juice, mint tea - see photo)
The little pool in the middle of the building - a strong smell of chlorine & a few drowned wasps, but it was good to cool your feet in or have a little dip which we did (very hot there in August!)
The room was cleaned daily and well looked after.
The bed was comfortable & clean.
The cupboards in the room were a good size and convenient for putting our stuff out of site.
The tents on the terrace on the roof were a nice place to chill out.
The security guards sternly sending away a guy who tried and follow me home from the street hassling for money.
It is an easy walk from here to Jamaa el Fna (the big square) with plenty to see along the way (via Sidi Boulabada & Dabachi)
The locally (hand) made brass taps in the bathroom sink look really cool (see photos) and I like the burnished concrete basin & tub/shower tray in the bathroom.

The things that weren't so great.

The plug holes & drains in the showers are tiny, locally made of brass & don't seem to be cleanable, so they don't drain the shower fast enough. (mine at home is wide, and made of plastic, I can pull it out and clean the drain to unblock it when it needs it... theirs stay blocked)

The shower trays are hand made from concrete (stained red & burnished - see photos) & look like a round bath, with walls about 15-25cms wide. Just as well, because once you start having a shower, the disgusting water backs up from the plug hole & the tray/bath thing starts filling up, so you need to stand balanced on the top of the wall to keep your feet out of the stinky sewerage water & keep your showers short enough that it doesn't fill up and flood. Once you've mastered that you can have a shower with not too much problem, but it's really what you want and it's not great that they don't do anything about it.
I had read about this on TripAdvisor before I went, not expecting we'd get the same - but I was forewarned, so wasn't too bothered.

Also on showers - the cheap plastic & metal domestic shower hose had been given too much punishment and had basically burst inside near the head and was spraying water out sideways (i.e. over the floor) when you used it. I told the staff and they weren't bothered to do anything, so I later pulled the head off the shower and fixed it up as best I could (which involved removing some of the torn plastic lining) - this stopped the worst of the spraying sideways, but meant you had to be careful the head didn't blow off the hose from the pressure. Again - not ideal.

I was grateful that there was Air-conditioning in the room, because I'd never experienced 43-45 degrees before... BUT the aircon unit was VERY noisy. I found the best way was to turn it on for long enough to cool the place down, then turn it off and go to sleep. After a while it would get too hot, so you'd turn it on again, but it was so loud you couldn't sleep. Let the room cool, turn it off and go back to sleep till it gets hot again. It had an infra-red remote, so you could do it without getting up.
The next place we stayed in (a big hotel) had great aircon which was almost silent when on the low setting and could be left like that all night leaving the perfect temperature. That's how it SHOULD be.

While we were there the whole place seemed to be run by 3 people. 2 security guards, one who did the day shift and one who did the night shift (there's someone in the office by the front door 24x7) and the woman who cooked the breakfasts & cleaned the rooms. I don't think she could speak any English, but she was friendly & helpful. The security guys could speak some English, and were helpful and polite too, not overly chatty though.

Don't get the security guys to order you a taxi - the taxi they get will cost a fair chunk more than you'd pay elsewhere. Bargain your fair with a driver yourself (or better still more than 1 driver) and you'll get a much better deal. Don't be in a hurry, or desperate or your bargaining position is weakened.

I'd stay there again if by myself, but my partner's had enough of Morocco after our trip (the difference in culture & lifestyle & climate isn't really her thing) I'd rate it as average to good, not "Very Good"

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
      Location
    • 3 of 5 stars
Paphos, Cyprus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2014

I stayed here for 5 days. Lady of 65. Excellent staff, comfortable beds. Ten minute walk to the main square. Residential area down quiet alleys a bit off putting but the unprepossessing front door opens into a charming reception and eating area. I felt very secure and comfortable here. Water always nice and hot. Roof terrace excellent. I think bad reviews are unfair. You don't expect luxury at this price and you certainly get excellent value here. I will return happily.Nothing was too much trouble for Adel the manager, Naima the cook/cleaner, or even Mustafa on night security, even when I raided the kitchen so I could make my tea the English way!!

• Stayed December 2014