“Interesting.....” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #835 of 1,054 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Interesting.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

After reading several reviews we didn't know what to expect of the hotel and after paying a man from Jemaa El Fna to walk us through the never ending maze of the medina we started to worry. We entered an area that can only be described as a slum, it was quite intimidating at first as the areas very dirty and poor. But when you get into the Riad it's quickly forgotten, its so clean and quiet. The breakfast is pretty good, the staff are very friendly and pretty keen to help. The swimming pool is more of a garden water feature but if you need to relax the roof terrace is an excellent sun trap. A couple of bad points there are no restaurants in the surrounding area and the Riad doesn't serve lunch or dinner and for some unknown reason the owner very passionately doesn't allow food or drink from the outside brought in??? This includes small bags of crisps.
For those that need a cheap place to stay and are a little worried about the area don't be put off as the initial wariness is gone almost instantly and a gate (Bab Khemis) to exit the medina is very close (this is a really handy bit of info when you need to get around as instead of walking back through the medina at night you can simply jump into a cab for 20D=£1.57 from anywhere in Marrakesh and be dropped 5 mins from the Riad).
Altogether I liked this Riad for the price it was reasonable and its definitely an experience.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

By using the owners map and making our own notes, we eventually found our way to the arch from where you can get a taxi. As long as you keep to the same road the cars and mopeds use, you'll find your way to the main square after about 30 mins walk. The riad is kept clean and the owner is very friendly but it helps if you speak French. They serve breakfast only, no evening meals. We stayed 3 nights, had a lovely time but took a good day or so to get our bearings. Taxis can get you back as far as the pharmacie and from there you can find your way back, using the owners hand drawn map.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

The riad is situated in the oldest and poorest part of the medina.An eye opener certainly for anyone who has not travelled outside Europe before! To find it initially is a nightmare and then to trek backwards and forwards requires expert navigational skills. We were there for one night only and found it to be too far from anywhere! Walking back late at night through the unsolubrious alleyways does require some courage!
The riad itself is decorated in traditional style and is well appointed and clean.We were disappointed that the rooms were so dark .Our room was on theground floor and looked out onto the courtyard. Once people started moving around in the morning we were woken instantly as the noise reverberated on the stone floors and tiles. The small central courtyard was covered with a polythene roof so you could not sit out in fresh air.If you stayed for a week this would,I am sure, be a major drawback ! The swimming pool is more the size of a plunge pool and did not look at all inviting. Compared to breakfasts provided in all the other hotels we stayed in on our trip, Riad Alwane's was rather meagre.
You can do better elsewhere for the money! Somewhere to sit outside in the sunshine in private is a must for any stay in hot, dusty Marrakech! Somewhere more centrally located!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

The first thing I did when arriving to the Riad was burst into tears. I felt angry and deceived. I booked the Riad based on the location description 'Riad is located in the heart of the Medina'. It's blatantly a lie! It is in fact located on the edge of what appears to be the dodgiest and dirtiest part of Medina. It was a truly frightening experience to get back to the Riad in the evening. The Riad is located in the dark, desolate alleyway. Forget walking there; you need a taxis to get back there and even those won't drop you off close enough. Someone on this website described it as a 'slam' and I agree with that view.
Before I arrived to that place I tried to find it on the map, but with no success. No wonder, as when we arrived, led by a group of teenage boys who demanded six Euros for the privilege, we realised that the address we have on the booking form is different to the one that the owner gave us. I tried to cancel but the owner wasn't sympathetic and said he'll charge us the full amount from my card if I cancelled (I pre-booked on line).
I am not a fussy traveller and in the past I've stayed at some poor hotels, however it was my choice and I knew what to expect. This time I was blatantly lied to, tricked and deceived – not a pleasant feeling to have on holiday.
I hope my experience will warn others.
Seriously, for the price of the taxi you'll need to pay each time you want to get back to the hotel, you can book a much better located Riad close to the centre.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Madrid
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

Riad Alwane is far from any interesting point u wanna go, see or take a picture.
REally hard to find even at daytime. And the most important thing is that I left my cell phone on my room cause I was going to the atlas to spend the they, and when I went back it wasn't where I left it. Also they know when to steal cause I'm leaving tomorrow at 6:30am so I have no chance to have it back. So in my opinion, pick another one for your trip for not getting this kind of experiences.

Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

We stayed at the riad Alwane for four days to celebrate our 10 th anniversary!
It was our first time in Marrakech and the owners helped us very good to sorth things out and providing free maps and information for a perfect stay!
They even arranged us an Hammam witch was so nice,good and not expensive!
We ate one time in the hotel and the food was excellent!
I could keep on telling about our experience but it was so good that i've just booked to go back in Decembre 2009 and this time even with our kids!!
This is a must do!!!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
España
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

Ever seen the kids show Mr Ben? That what it was like in this place. When you step out of the Riad you enter into the 14 century with mopeds, its like living a report of american troops patroling round Kabul, the difference is you dont have a gun to feel protected!
The truth is that the people are really nice and helpful (when you ask them, if they offer to help its nearly always for money) but you do get a shock when you arrive and see the total lack of infrastructure and the amount of poverty, what makes it worse is you have to stay in the middle of it. To get to the riad you have to make your way through small dark snickleways and tunnels with kids begging for cash to lead you there which can be quite a scary experience. We staied for a few nights and returned in "taxi" but not one dropped us off close to the Riad, its just another way to bleed more money out of you, if youve got the [-] gat out and let a 7 year old take you for the price of 1€ (his price 10€, give him 1€ once youve rung the doorbell).
The Riad Alwane was a nice place and the breakfast was fantastic but its soooooooo far from the tourist side of town ant to be honest in the middle of a slum that I would suggest you pay a little more and stay as close as you can to the square, it really couldnt be in a worse area.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Alwane? Share your experiences!