“Nice Hotel - Shame about the language barrier and rude staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Eldorador Club Palmeraie

Save Saved
You added Eldorador Club Palmeraie to your Saves list
Eldorador Club Palmeraie
Commune Rurale Al Ouidane, Prefecture Syba | BP 3759 Amerchich, Marrakech 40 000, Morocco   |
Ranked #232 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel - Shame about the language barrier and rude staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

The hotel was overall really lovely, beautiful gardens, the rooms were big and the food was good (sometimes a little repetitive as most buffets are.) The hotel is situated outside of Marrakesh about 15km which means it's quiet and nice to get away. In addition they offer a free bus into Marrakesh which has a late pick up at 10pm.

The hotel is predominately French speaking and majority of the staff do not speak English. Likewise, the staff are not the most accommodating of people - but overall we survived and got through the holiday okay.

The pool and music was really good and had a nice vibe about it. There were options for quiet or more up beat pool, and the Animation Team left you to it if you didn't want to get involved.

Overall it was a lovely hotel - but the staff could have been a little more helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

1,314 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Bourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Paid less than £90 a day for 2 adults and a baby. Good food, excellent quality and choice of drinks on the A/I basis. Language may be an issue for some, we however made the most of the opportunity to practice our french. Great, low cost 1 week holiday. Best All-Inclusive hotel i've been to, and i've been to a few! A shame however, as I wouldn't return as Marrakech itself stunk, was nothing like the picture postcards and some travel guides would make you believe.

Room Tip: Get a garden room, away from the evening entertainment/nightclub noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I spent hours choosing what I thought was the right hotel but was ultimately disappointed. Let's start with the good bits: beautiful gardens, well kept with a lake (and ducks and geese) and plenty of walking around space. Two swimming pools, one with activities and music the other quieter - both very clean and well maintained. Animation team worked very, very hard but they tended to concentrate their attentions on the "young and beautiful" crowd. Good thing about them is that they didn't try to force you into joining in if you didn't want to. Food was adequate, a lot of choice, but a bit monotonous. Service was mostly good. We had a room on the ground floor with a small terrace which was nice. Cleaning was excellent and standard of room very good. Housekeeping staff were non-intrusive and a couple of minor maintenance issues were dealt with immediately. Disappointing aspects: public areas didn't have air conditioning, ie. the lobby/reception, indoor bar, restaurant. There was seating outside but as all the smokers were out there, it wasn't very pleasant for non-smokers. Inside the restaurant it became almost unbearably hot, it got up to 38 degrees whilst we were there. Also it was too hot to sit in the bar to listen to the man on his organ, so we felt let down by the entertainment. The animation team put on shows most nights - a cabaret with dancing and sketches one night, a quiz night, an "X-Factor" type evening which were good but all in French so we missed out quite a lot on the comedy. Luckily a lot of the comedy was visual, but we still felt a bit left out. Hardly any of the staff spoke any English and whilst this wasn't really a problem, we felt a bit isolated not being able to chat to people like you normally would. Overall we had a relaxing time but a week was long enough. I would like to commend the ladies on reception - much more polite and helpful than the man; Leila from the restaurant who made everyone feel special and welcome, I have never met such a lovely lady who worked so very hard to help the guests. The guy who drives the free shuttle bus into Marrakech is also an absolute gem - funny and helpful and an all round lovely man. The hotel was packed to the gills when we were there which made it feel a bit "holiday camp-ish" which I think is what disappointed me the most, I was hoping for somewhere a bit more elegant and stylish - next time I will definitely go five-star. Finally, must commend the hotel for letting us keep our room until 6pm WITH NO EXTRA CHARGE. I have never come across this before, well done for this policy ... and the hotel seemed to be just about full.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Lincoln
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed here for a week and loved it! The resort is Mainly French speaking however we managed to overcome any language barriers and the staff were always very patient. The buffet was excellent with plenty of choice to cater for all needs with deserts, salads, local dishes and Italian options. The waiters were always friendly even though they were busy, finding the time for a joke and keeping you topped up with wine! There are two pools, one quiet for adults and a larger more boisterous one with music. The building and grounds are pretty with good Air conditioning and showers. We had a quiet room with a balcony away from the bar areas so it was lovely and peaceful. Had some great nights sleep there. There is a free shuttle bus to town and also a currency exchange at reception (better than the airport!) The bar and meal times are very flexible too. There are lots of options for places to sit and have a drink both inside and out. We really enjoyed our stay and would totally recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Go for a room away from the bar area with a garden view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Horsham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed at this hotel last week , the hotel was fine , food ok, but the staff partically the serving staff where rude and un helpful , if you do not speak French I would not recommend staying here.
The location was also out the way based outside marrakesh.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Brussels, Région De Bruxelles-Capitale, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Hotel ELDORADOR PALMERAIE in Marrakech did certainly do a good job about cleanliness (no cockroaches or mice/rats spotted anywhere at any time) and good building techniques (never a cold shower and the airco worked without a problem).
But this is where the praise stops.
Let’s talk about a comfortable bed. You find yourself on a rock-hard mattress … you don’t close an eye during the night – so you speak to reception about having a softer mattress - the reply from them is “not possible/not available”.
A comfortable sun-bed during the day … you want to catch up on your sleep under the parasol … oh, plain plastic sun-beds (a lot of them broken) – your upholstering is the comfy sponge of your towel – no sun-bed-mattress available on site.
So you decide to have a quick nap in your room and you put the red “do not disturb” sign on the door ... knock-knock (you do not reply because you’re trying to sleep) open flies the door and the maid comes in, because she says that she needs to change the towels (who were put there freshly the day before) …………………………….????
But there is the praised “ALL INCLUSIVE” buffet food (breakfast, lunch, afternoon snacks and the evenings even with show-cooking) this will raise your spirits !!! At breakfast you grab a plate and decide to have some eggs. 4 cooking plates and one staff juggling with 2 pans on 2 cooking plates – it takes an eternity – but a second staff arrives (everybody of the 15 or more persons queuing are relieved) just to find that each staff just handles one pan on one cooking plate. I am flabbergasted by this exemplary inefficiency.
So I look forward to lunch. And dinner. After the fourth day I had enough of veggies drowned in olive oil and chicken, chicken or chicken (each time dryer and harder) and whatever you eat (regardless if you take salads, raw/cooked veggies or potatoes) your main taste is coriander.
So I turned to afternoon snacks … having seen nothing but over/undercooked pancakes for most of the days (on which you can sprinkle some honey – but do not expect a single paper napkin anywhere to wipe your fingers/mouth) I turn to deserts at night. Unfortunately I do not like coconut-cakes, nor deserts made of beaten egg white with too much sugar and food colouring. So my only alternative is fruit - it is better anyway to counterweigh all the greasy food.
But all this makes me thirsty and I would like to take a bottle of sparkling water to my room at night. There are bottles of flat water in the room. For free. If I want a bottle of sparkling water – I’d have to pay for it. OK, I thought, that I had booked a holiday “all inclusive”. I understand that I have to pay for drinks if I desire some non-local alcohol cocktails. But plain sparkling water … ????
Ah, yes, when you sit down at a table at lunch or dinner time, staff will serve you drinks (no self-service). DO sit down where the older restaurant employees’ work, cause the younger ones see you sit down at a table, but they prefer to pretend to be busy and chat rather than serve you. When you make a sign at them they will eventually serve you FLAT water. If –again- you want sparkling water, do not be astonished that you’ll have to ask more than once for it.
Also, I was looking forward to the great day-time entertainment in and around the pool and some sporty activities within the club’s parameters. Unfortunately the announcements over loudspeaker were so blurred that it was impossible to understand. Apart from morning and afternoon aqua-gym the persons in orange t-shirts with “animation” written on the back were fairly invisible.
After a week I run out of cigarettes. Therefore I go to Reception to buy some … there is only a very limited choice – but I am glad that I do not have to drive into town. I am presented with one packet. As I don’t want to come back daily I ask for 4 packets to have enough for the remaining stay … Answer : I cannot give you more than 2 packets, because otherwise there will not be enough left for other customers. I am flabbergasted again … cigarettes don’t turn bad in a day – order/purchase a couple of cartons more for god’s sake.
And, for a Hotel claiming to be international, you better make sure that your French is fluent – the few non-French speaking customers had a real communication problem (unless they spoke Moroccan).
Before I finish one last thing : I was very astonished to see a “Trip Advisor 2013” sign on the wall of the Reception, giving the hotel a “Top 10” certificate … where ARE still in the 2013 summer season, aren’t we ? I wonder how many hotels pay to receive this certificate before the end of the season …

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The best feature of this hotel must be the grounds: two large pools, lush gardens, and spacious. Thankfully, the rooms don't disappoint either. I particularly liked our bathroom which the hotel seemed to have invested much more in than the bedroom. Our bedroom was standard - no complaints, but no thrills either. Decent aircon, clean, and bed was fine.

During our August break the hotel was full. The buffet was pretty hectic, and although this is far from the fault of the hotel, some greedy guests would take so much that some of the nicest dishes would frequently be empty. Seriously, who takes 20 sausages? There's a nice pizza oven going, as well as the usual Moroccan dishes, salads and crusty breads. The food was good. We loved the Moroccon themed night, and the crepes at breakfast were popular. Such is the thing which these resorts that lunch is the same or very similar buffet to dinner, but never mind.

Staff mostly seemed friendlt, although this was pretty difficult to suss as mosy speak no English spoken. This wasn't a massive problem, but arranging excursions and transfers was a little difficult. Thankfully we had no problems at the hotel, as they would have been difficult to communicate. Bring a french phrase book!

Wifi wasn't working. Actually quite nice to escape the Internet for a few days. Most reviews say something similar, so don't rely on it. Had a power cut one night for 20 mins, was sorted straight away despite it being 2am (you'll feel it straight away if the aircon shuts down in August!!!)

Our biggest gripe were drinks. It was 50 degrees. Water becomes more than necessary! To get a drink of water you have to walk to the bar, wait to be served and then you will be given a small plastic cup - like the type you'd get at a kids party. This is of course drained in a few sips. It would be so much better if they provided bottled water, or at least sold it. It was a pain to keep queuing for water in the heat... Not sure if I'm being fussy, but it did seem a little annoying, especially for an all inclusive place

Overall we had a great time. We were 30 mins free shuttle ride from the city centre so location was great. I think we may be tempted to pay a bit more next time and stay somewhere a bit more luxurious, although this place definitely suited us this time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Eldorador Club Palmeraie? Share your experiences!