Hotel ELDORADOR PALMERAIE in Marrakech did certainly do a good job about cleanliness (no cockroaches or mice/rats spotted anywhere at any time) and good building techniques (never a cold shower and the airco worked without a problem).
But this is where the praise stops.
Let’s talk about a comfortable bed. You find yourself on a rock-hard mattress … you don’t close an eye during the night – so you speak to reception about having a softer mattress - the reply from them is “not possible/not available”.
A comfortable sun-bed during the day … you want to catch up on your sleep under the parasol … oh, plain plastic sun-beds (a lot of them broken) – your upholstering is the comfy sponge of your towel – no sun-bed-mattress available on site.
So you decide to have a quick nap in your room and you put the red “do not disturb” sign on the door ... knock-knock (you do not reply because you’re trying to sleep) open flies the door and the maid comes in, because she says that she needs to change the towels (who were put there freshly the day before) …………………………….????
But there is the praised “ALL INCLUSIVE” buffet food (breakfast, lunch, afternoon snacks and the evenings even with show-cooking) this will raise your spirits !!! At breakfast you grab a plate and decide to have some eggs. 4 cooking plates and one staff juggling with 2 pans on 2 cooking plates – it takes an eternity – but a second staff arrives (everybody of the 15 or more persons queuing are relieved) just to find that each staff just handles one pan on one cooking plate. I am flabbergasted by this exemplary inefficiency.
So I look forward to lunch. And dinner. After the fourth day I had enough of veggies drowned in olive oil and chicken, chicken or chicken (each time dryer and harder) and whatever you eat (regardless if you take salads, raw/cooked veggies or potatoes) your main taste is coriander.
So I turned to afternoon snacks … having seen nothing but over/undercooked pancakes for most of the days (on which you can sprinkle some honey – but do not expect a single paper napkin anywhere to wipe your fingers/mouth) I turn to deserts at night. Unfortunately I do not like coconut-cakes, nor deserts made of beaten egg white with too much sugar and food colouring. So my only alternative is fruit - it is better anyway to counterweigh all the greasy food.
But all this makes me thirsty and I would like to take a bottle of sparkling water to my room at night. There are bottles of flat water in the room. For free. If I want a bottle of sparkling water – I’d have to pay for it. OK, I thought, that I had booked a holiday “all inclusive”. I understand that I have to pay for drinks if I desire some non-local alcohol cocktails. But plain sparkling water … ????
Ah, yes, when you sit down at a table at lunch or dinner time, staff will serve you drinks (no self-service). DO sit down where the older restaurant employees’ work, cause the younger ones see you sit down at a table, but they prefer to pretend to be busy and chat rather than serve you. When you make a sign at them they will eventually serve you FLAT water. If –again- you want sparkling water, do not be astonished that you’ll have to ask more than once for it.
Also, I was looking forward to the great day-time entertainment in and around the pool and some sporty activities within the club’s parameters. Unfortunately the announcements over loudspeaker were so blurred that it was impossible to understand. Apart from morning and afternoon aqua-gym the persons in orange t-shirts with “animation” written on the back were fairly invisible.
After a week I run out of cigarettes. Therefore I go to Reception to buy some … there is only a very limited choice – but I am glad that I do not have to drive into town. I am presented with one packet. As I don’t want to come back daily I ask for 4 packets to have enough for the remaining stay … Answer : I cannot give you more than 2 packets, because otherwise there will not be enough left for other customers. I am flabbergasted again … cigarettes don’t turn bad in a day – order/purchase a couple of cartons more for god’s sake.
And, for a Hotel claiming to be international, you better make sure that your French is fluent – the few non-French speaking customers had a real communication problem (unless they spoke Moroccan).
Before I finish one last thing : I was very astonished to see a “Trip Advisor 2013” sign on the wall of the Reception, giving the hotel a “Top 10” certificate … where ARE still in the 2013 summer season, aren’t we ? I wonder how many hotels pay to receive this certificate before the end of the season …
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Eldorador Club Palmeraie is surrounded by its beautiful 11 hectares palm grooves and gardens. The resort is overlooking a breathtaking vue of the Atlas Mountains. It is situated just 8km off a free shuttle bus from the old town "Medina" and the sanctuary "Jamaa Fna square". In addition to the buffet Restaurant, the Hotel also welcomes you to its two gorgeous a la carte restaurants, Italian (from April to September) and Moroccan (All year long). Thanks to its All-inclusive concept. This magnificent 4 star hotel offers all the facilities you could need to make your stay as pleasant and relaxing as possible. The complex includes three fresh water swimming pools: 1 animated, 1 Zen, and kidz pool. Eldo SPA wellness center by five senses in the lower basement with Hammam, Steam Room, Jacuzzi, massages and beauty treatments. Just Dial 3038 from your room to make an appointment or if you require a special request. For the Gym Fan 1st floor. Children can also have a great time with the entertainment program, enjoying activities such as crafts with our entertainers and other kids. Baby Eldo for babies up to 2 yrs old, and Mini Eldo for kidz from 4yrs old up to 12, studio ado's only for kidz from 13 up to 17 yrs old. If you're travelling as a family, couple or with friends this hotel is perfect for enjoying the wide range of activities and sports on offer. You'll find tennis courts, table tennis, mini golf, badminton, petanque, Archery, darts, volleyball and Football. In the surrounding area you can also do stretching, water gym, play golf in a driving range, and in the winter you can even ski. Flying art Trapeze all year long for all age: A very unique activity here in Marrakech. At night, many shows and live music options await you, and to end your night A Night-Club "La Gazelle" to let your head out. Six Spacious Conference Rooms are available for any type of events, seminars and team buildings. Basically, it is the place to be if you are with or without your children. Finally, we are very proud to announce that it is the first smoke free Resort in Morocco. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, HotelTravel.com, Travelocity, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your Club Eldorador Palmeraie reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eldorador Club Palmeraie Hotel Marrakech
- Hotel Eldorador Palmeraie
- Eldorador Palmeraie Hotel