Arrival: I booked this hotel through Expedia, so there was no offer of airport transfer.
The hotel is quite a way from the Airport, so when haggling with your taxi driver, do not pay more than 200 - 240 dirham, they will try to get anything up to 400 dh.
The hotel: It is absolutely beautiful. The lobby is very grand and exotic. It even smells gorgeous. The rooms are gorgeous also, with a nice small balcony. Everything is in FRENCH, there's very little English. Personally this wasn't so bad as I enjoyed the opportunity to practice.
The Staff: lovely, very friendly and smiley. I went at the beginning of December, so the hotel was empty, more staff than guests. The entertainment staff were plucky and enthusiastic seeing as there were more of them than audience. They knew I was there solo and made sure that I was made to feel part of the group during evening events. They weren't too overpowering, they left me alone when I wanted it, but sat down and chatted when I felt like a chat. Maybe it's because there were so few guests, but they made it feel like a very comfortable family. The other guests were pretty much French, but there were a few Dutch as well. All of the staff speak French, some struggled with English.
The Entertainment: The themed nights were so terrible they were hilarious. Very French, much like the Moroccan love child of hi-de-hi and 'allo 'allo. Although the "Moroccan Night" was actually rather good, the unfortunately named "Eldo's Got Talent" simply proved that it doesn't, and the Grand Spectacle of "Star Mania" was just a badly lip-synced Space-Aged French-language Les Miserables - which ended up looking like he live version of a dubbed Chinese Kung-Fu film. Worth going to for the deep belly laughs, but sneak out after about half an hour because the joke gets old really quickly.
The food: I actually found it disappointing, I was expecting exotically spiced (spicy) moroccan food, but I guess I got bland food tailored to French tastes. There was a good choice and food was of a good standard. Some desserts were just heavenly. The wine was cheap but drinkable and the daily cocktail was really nice.
Amenities: the two pools are great with really comfy, double bed sized loungers around the edges. The Spa is really smart, the prices are not cheap, but not expensive either. I had a Hammam with peeling and 50 min massage - this took about 2 hours in all and was very relaxing. 500 dh.
The shuttle bus: This lets you off in the Place de la Liberte, quite a way away from the Place Jemaa el fna (main entrance to the souks). It is at least a 15-20 minute walk, but if you take a "petit taxi" it should cost you no more than 20dh.
Tell the driver, at the time of writing, an old guy called Momo, if you want to go to the Jardin Majorelle, he'll drop you closer.
You can take a taxi from outside the hotel and for 200-300 dh the taxi driver will take you around for a morning or afternoon (or even a day, if you're a good negotiator) and you can go to all the tourist sites - be warned they will take you to places where they get commission from your purchases, so either go with it and buy from their friends or when in the souks just go off and buy your own stuff.
Brief guide to haggling: Ask for price, go in with first offer of around a third, go up slightly and refuse any higher prices (they say 300, you say 100, they say 200, you stick at 120), if they say no, turn around and walk away, guaranteed they will call you back and accept your final price, if they try and put it up again, walk away.
Excursions: Quad-biking, buggy driving or camel riding; I recommend the Quad-biking, it was exhilarating and great fun.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Eldorador Club Palmeraie is surrounded by its beautiful 11 hectares palm grooves and gardens. The resort is overlooking a breathtaking vue of the Atlas Mountains. It is situated just 8km off a free shuttle bus from the old town "Medina" and the sanctuary "Jamaa Fna square". In addition to the buffet Restaurant, the Hotel also welcomes you to its two gorgeous a la carte restaurants, Italian (from April to September) and Moroccan (All year long). Thanks to its All-inclusive concept. This magnificent 4 star hotel offers all the facilities you could need to make your stay as pleasant and relaxing as possible. The complex includes three fresh water swimming pools: 1 animated, 1 Zen, and kidz pool. Eldo SPA wellness center by five senses in the lower basement with Hammam, Steam Room, Jacuzzi, massages and beauty treatments. Just Dial 3038 from your room to make an appointment or if you require a special request. For the Gym Fan 1st floor. Children can also have a great time with the entertainment program, enjoying activities such as crafts with our entertainers and other kids. Baby Eldo for babies up to 2 yrs old, and Mini Eldo for kidz from 4yrs old up to 12, studio ado's only for kidz from 13 up to 17 yrs old. If you're travelling as a family, couple or with friends this hotel is perfect for enjoying the wide range of activities and sports on offer. You'll find tennis courts, table tennis, mini golf, badminton, petanque, Archery, darts, volleyball and Football. In the surrounding area you can also do stretching, water gym, play golf in a driving range, and in the winter you can even ski. Flying art Trapeze all year long for all age: A very unique activity here in Marrakech. At night, many shows and live music options await you, and to end your night A Night-Club "La Gazelle" to let your head out. Six Spacious Conference Rooms are available for any type of events, seminars and team buildings. Basically, it is the place to be if you are with or without your children. Finally, we are very proud to announce that it is the first smoke free Resort in Morocco. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Tingo, Priceline, Despegar.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Club Eldorador Palmeraie reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eldorador Club Palmeraie Hotel Marrakech
- Hotel Eldorador Palmeraie
- Eldorador Palmeraie Hotel