“overall a good stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #252 of 471 Hotels in Marrakech
Orpington, United Kingdom
“overall a good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

We have just returned from a 4 night stay, and it was overall very good. We got a deal through travel zoo and therefore it represented very good value for money. Despite a few things, it was better than we had expected. On arrival we were taken into a bar to have a drink whlst we sat and completed the check in forms. We were invited to go for lunch whilst our check in was completed by our reps. When we walked back to reception after lunch we were given our keys straight way. This made a nice change from having to queue at reception which normally happens when the coach arrives at a hotel with a number of guests on board.

The hotel grounds and room was very clean and well kept. We were always able to get a sunbed, whatever time of the day we went to sit by the pool. There seemed to be lots of activities day and evening, and we enjoyed sitting in the outdoor bar with the live music. None of the areas either day or night seemed too crowded, and you could always get a seat where you wanted in the communial areas or bars.

Food was nice, varied and in good supply. We didn't try the speciality resturants as they both had a set menu with limited choice, and so we felt we were better off at the buffet. However, despite being very pleased with the quality of the food at the time, my husband did get an upset stomach on the last day, and mine started on the first day home.

The hotel was quite a way from Marrakesh, but we enjoyed the chance to relax away from the city. Threre was a free bus which run quite regularly. We took the bus in one evening and a taxi back, which only cost us about a tenner.

Throughout the stay staff were very helpful. The only disappointing thing was that the hotel charged about 8 quid tax on check out. There were no signs about this at the hotel, no information given prior to departure, or no information given at our welcome meeting. Guests complainted and two people refused to pay. However, our rep didnt want to know, and the hotel refused to let our coach go until they paid! Didn't like the hotel's attitude towards us at this point - semed to totally change from how it had been and was very rude. I know £8 isnt very much - but nobody seemed to be able to explain why we should pay it - they did confirm it was a levy by the hotel and not the government. Nice way to make a quick £150 quid or so for the hotel with every departure!!! Bit of a con which did leave a bitter taste for which would have otherwise been a good stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

We have just returned from a 4 night stay and it was brilliant. We unfortunately lost all our accommodation vouchers en route but the hotel was quite relaxed about it, they were more concerned that we get some lunch rather than the voucher. This hospitality was shown throughout our all too brief stay.

Our room was clean and quiet, plenty of pillows, loo rolls and a hair dryer! The bed was queen size I think, it was comfy and we slept well. One note of caution was the shower, there is no bath mat and we found it quite slippery in the over the bath shower. The air conditioning was adequate for us.

The food was divine, it changes daily. Its served buffet style and I saw staff check temperatures with food probes. There were lots of salads and despite my reluctance to eat uncooked food away from home, I did and there were no untoward tummy problems! The Moroccan restaurant was lovely and the tagines served were delicious. You have to book this restaurant the day before; there is a woman who sits at a table outside the main restaurant that does this. You are given bottles of water at lunch and dinner and offered wine.

There appears to be more catering for English speakers and a number of the staff speak English, a little French is very helpful. Most of the other guests appeared to be French.
There are lots of organised activities and fitness classes, but we were on holiday and did not want to work out. I did watch the aqua aerobics class in the main pool! The Moroccan evening organised on a Wednesday is fun and there are shows in a theatre and a disco most nights.

There is everything one might need and never leave the complex. There are a range of trips you can purchase, we did not go on any, but took the free bus into the centre of Marrakech and returned on the last bus at 10:30pm.

We did not use any of the children’s facilities but there were lots of toddlers and children, I think there was a daily charge for these facilities. There is also a nurse on site and her office is open twice a day, thankfully we never had to pay her a visit. There are two shops one sells trinkets and the other has sun tan lotions and clothing. The price of the lotions is about the same as UK prices and they sell factor 50!

One other thing I noticed they are always cleaning and do not pack pool towels as you can rent them.

After the debacle of losing all our documents this was a total stress free break. We had none of the problems that other reviewers have mentioned. Having never been on an all inclusive holiday before we were uncertain but we loved it and would love to return again to this beautiful place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

We have just returned from 5 days at Eldorador Club Palmeraie in Marrakech and I have to say we loved it. Despite the fact that the low-rise resort (a maximum of 2 storeys) is spread out over a large area of several acres, none of the facilities seemed too far away. Everything is set in the most beautiful gardens with palm trees and a variety of other plants. It has two pools one of which is designated to be the "activities" pool with music playing and the usual range of organised water activities and the other of which is the "zen" pool.....the relatively quiet area.

We were there just before Easter and I would estimate that the place was somewhere between 30% and 50% full. So there were always plenty of sunbeds available around the pools. I don't know what it would be like at busier times. But there is a resort rule that gives the staff the right to remove towels left on beds for more than an hour. It didn't need to be enforced while we were there, so I don't know whether it is strictly observed when there are more people around.

In addition to the sunbeds, each pool has several....well I don't know what to call them. They are cushioned areas big enough to accommodate a family with an awning over the top to provide shade. These were just the best places to chill-out and read with the pool and the bar right at hand.

The resort is about 10 years old and looks to have been well maintained. There are odd bits of wear and tear, but nothing that made the place look shabby. The reception area is a vast octagonal hall decorated in a Moorish style and was just gorgeous. The other "common" rooms were also nicely decorated, clean and tidy. This included the main bar, the main restaurant and a TV room.

The range of activities is quite impressive for this sort of resort and includes two kids clubs (for babies and older kids and, apparently starting this year, a third one for adolescents). There is also archery, trapeze, table tennis, an exercise area (for Pilates, etc), golf practice nets and probably a whole load of other stuff I didn't even notice. We were there for a relaxing "stopping" holiday, so we didn't get too involved with the activities although I tried archery for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it.

On arrival we were given a room with twin beds but we wanted a double. This was sorted out quickly and we were allocated another room. (Just the first example of helpfulness). It was a ground floor "garden room" (see below). The room itself was perfectly large enough with a queen-size double bed or maybe even a king-size but, anyway, larger than our standard double at home and perfectly comfortable. The bathroom was large, well-appointed and spotlessly clean with a decent amount of water pressure behind the shower. In the bedroom there was a small-ish flat screen TV with a couple of channels in English.

On the first morning there was the usual "welcome meeting". There was no hard-sell of excursions, although they were mentioned and a leaflet was provided with the times and costs. There was a tour of the site with one of the "animation" staff which took in all the on-site facilities and gave the information about the programme of activities.

This being Morocco, all the staff speak excellent French and some English. Some of the staff have excellent English too - but not all of them. For British guests, having a few words of French to get by with is useful. When we were there, most of the guests were French too and I guess that's pretty usual for the place.

The Eldorador being an all-inclusive resort, I have to mention the food. Basically, it was great. The breakfasts are the least inspired of the meals but were still perfectly enoyable and certainly plentiful. There was always a great selection of breads (including great croissant and pain au chocolat), freshly cooked eggs (fried or an omelette), fresh fruit (oh....the oranges!!), salads, cereals, cheese, crepes, cakes and Moroccan pancake-like things, that I can't name. No bacon, sausages (it's a Muslim country) or baked beans.....but I can get those at home.

Lunch and dinner were just fantastic. At lunchtime they always had the barbeque going with either local sausages, kofte, chicken or some-such on little kebabs. There was also a great range of salads and hot dishes. There were always some local dishes, mostly tagines (somewhat toned-down for European tastes as far as I could tell - I would have preferred them full-on spicy) and always couscous. The fish tagine that appeared a couple of times was particularly good. There were also always some "European" dishes too, fresh pasta, fish, chicken or meat of some sort. The vegetables and salads were consistently good and fresh and prepared in a variety of appealing ways. They do great things with courgettes and aubergines, And there was always plenty of fruit, pastries and ice cream for dessert.

Dinner was a similar variety and quality with maybe some slightly more robust dishes. Particularly excellent was Moroccan Night (Wednesday) in the main restaurant. They really went to town on the variety of local flavours. The aubergine dip, which was just one of a complete "meze" of available starters, was gorgeous as was the roast lamb practically ripped from whole sides of lamb that just got brought out of the kitchen.

As well as the main buffet restaurant there is a specialist Moroccan restaurant. This is a separate room, very nicely decorated in a traditional style (for about 50 diners) with live Moroccan music. You have to book to get in there but it's part of the all-inclusive deal. The meal there is a fixed menu (a different one every night) so I would advise you to look at the week's menus when you arrive and book for the night that has the menu that appeals most to you.

The drinks were good. The wine was decent "vin de table" standard, perfectly drinkable (it couldn't be any other way with most customers being French) and the local beer and spirits were fine too. There was a bottle of water in the fridge on arrival and you always get given a bottle with lunch and dinner.

The staff were universally friendly and helpful. One waitress in the restaurant, I think her name was Leila, stood out. She was always on the look out for ways she could help....assisting the older customers and those with young children and just displaying a genuine joy in doing her job. But the real surprise was in a couple of ways they helped with particular situations we had.

I developed a really nasty toothache while I was there. The staff on reception found a dentist and made an appointment for me and gave me all the information I needed to be able to get there. And then, when we left, I managed to leave an item of important medical equipment in the room. I e-mailed about this and it was returned to me, by courier delivery within a few days (and, so far, they haven't asked me to pay for that despite several offers). That, as far as I am concerned, is above and beyond anything I would expect.

One final word about the location. The Palmeraie is out of town....about 30 minutes drive from the main square. There is a shuttle bus that runs a few times a day in each direction and the main square and the souk (which sits right beside it) are definitely worth a visit. We had been the Marrakech before, so we only spent a short while there on this visit. If you don't take the bus, a taxi costs about 100 dhirams each way which, at the moment, equates to about £7.50.

So that's about it. I though it was great and would recommend Eldorador unreservedly.

Room Tip: We had a "garden room" on the ground floor. We booked via an offer on the teletext holida...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Florida City, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

La palmeraie is a great location because its about 15 minutes away from the heart of the city where all the magic happens!
This hotel is a 3.5 or 4 star hotel. For those of you who won't mind small rooms and tiny beds then you will be fine. The pool is quite large and wont dissapoint! Since there is sun all day long you can work on your tan no problem- great for a little R&R. But you will get thirsty with all that sun bathing and swimming around. If you are on an all inclusive~ water bottles are not included so you have to pay for them. My advice is to stock up when you go to town at the local 7/11 its a fraction of the price that this hotel will charge you!
The food~ well its Morroco so the food is exceptional! Everything is fresh and delicious! food is 5/5.
Entertainment is great as well shows are pretty good in the late evenings. Drinks are not included- they are just ok Im not sure its worth the cash compared to what ive had before in all my travels.
Whats great is that there is a scheduled 'navette' which is like a mini van that takes you from the hotel to town for free. Also takes you back to your hotel at specified times. Take advantage of this and visit the souk!
All in all hotel was just ok- but Marrakesh is spectacular!

Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

We had an excellent week here. The food was lovely, lots of choice with something new to eat every day. All inclusive drinks and snacks available 24/7. The facilities were really good and the room was spotlessly clean. We made use of all the hotel facilities including the spa, archery, belly dance lessons, golf etc. It was really good to have a choice of two pools. One to relax and read and one to enjoy the music and join in the entertainment. The staff were very friendly and eventhough the hotel had mainly French guests we were made to feel very welcome and included in the entertainment.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

Arrived at 6.30pm and found the man who was going to arrange our taxi to our hotel. Unfortunately due to the time of arrival, and the fact that it was Ramadam there, no one would take us to our hotel. We had to pay extra for someone to take us, so this was the start of things to come!
The hotel was lovely and the room we stayed in was ok, basic really and not what we expected.
The Pool - If you didn;t get up and put a towel on your bed before 7.45am then you had no chance of getting a bed. A lot of people pout towels down but never came down to use them till lunchtime, which was really annyoying.
The weather - absolutely brilliant - 55 degrees a lot of the time in the afternoons.
Main Restaurant - Very clean, a lot of choice, although the name tags at each dish were in French so if you didn;t know French you didn't know what you were going to eat.
Ndever tried the Italian or the Moroccan Restaurant.
We arrived on the Saturday and by the Tuesday my daughter was ill with sickness and diarroeah and was bedded for two days. Then my husband took diarroeah on the Wednesday and on the Thursday it was my turn.
We visited the on site nurse and were given sachets and tablets to take and was told to eat only boiled rice; mashed potato, bananas, apples and bread, and drink only water. This we did from Wednesday till we came home, so to say we were a bit fed up would be an understatement. It turned out a lot of the hotel was ill the week we were there with food poisoning.
A big problem for us was no one was interested in speaking English. Staff would come up to you but once they knew you couldn't speak French they walked away and weren't interested.
Trying to get toilet roll was a nightmare and took staff ages to bring it to the room and this we found very fraustrating especially under the circumstances.
We had cockroach in our shower and again it took the staff ages to get rid of it.
There was a smell of drains in our room when we walked into it but this cleared once yu were in the room.
Thism was a late deal booked through Low Cost holidays and although we got lovely weather we got a lot more than we anticipated and we certainly won't be back here.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

Had a lovely stay here, staff were helpfull where they could be given the limitations of my french and there english. Problems with the French guests feeling like they owned the place, not queing for food and controling the swimming pool but again this was the minority which ruined it for the others. The rooms were lovely and clean, food was plentyfull and full of choice. Have been advised by mangers that they are changing things this winter to get more english guest and first choice will be selling for them. Up untill this year it has only been french guests who have gone there hense the reason certain guests felt they owned the place. All in all a lovely weeks break but wouldnt go back untill more english guests have been going as certain guests need to learn some maners and respect.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Club Eldorador Palmeraie? Share your experiences!