“Es Saadi Palace my second home Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Es Saadi Gardens & Resort - Palace

Save Saved
You added Es Saadi Gardens & Resort - Palace to your Saves list
Es Saadi Gardens & Resort - Palace
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue Ibrahim El Mazini | Hivernage, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #113 of 460 hotels in Marrakech
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Es Saadi Palace my second home Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

You find few hotels that can accomplish the true 5 star experience but Es Saadi Palace exceeds those expectations. It has the charm to dazzle you with decor and true Moroccan ambience, the staff are over the top with being helpful and not just friendly but feels like your friends. That is why it feels like you are home amongst your most trusted friends. And of course it has comfort and they make you comfortable. The location was perfect for me near the Medina but in the chic part of town. This is a must stay. The gardens, pools and spa are superb so much detail and attention is paid to these places. The night life also tickles many fancies from a night club feel to a lounge setting with wonderful musicians. In every way a must stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
WonderfulMorocco, Room Division Manager at Es Saadi Gardens & Resort - Palace, responded to this review, June 3, 2012
Dear Seldon,
From all of us here at the Es Saadi Gardens & Resort, thanks you very much for selecting our hotel, your visit and your generous comments!
Your room is ready, the pianist and violonists are waiting for you too! Warmest regards, Laurence Jeanvoine

361 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

I’ve just spent a week at the Es Saadi Palace in Marrakech. My experience with Es Saadi however began long before I ever got to Morocco. Never having stayed at the Es Saadi, or been to Marrakech before, I began planning far in advance. I wished to arrange things as much as possible before I got there to ensure the experience was what I wished it to be. Which it has been. None of this early planning would have been possible without the able help and assurances of the Es Saadi reservation agents, especially Lamia Alfa and Nadine Jadari, who answered all of my questions, and made reservations at several restaurants, along with Concierges Mr. Errouk and Samir Alalaoui, once I arrived.
My first introduction to Es Saadi Palace was the friendly driver awating my arrival at the Marrakech airport. A friendly face, where he is promised to be, upon first arriving in a foreign country for the first time, is a worthwhile thing. This was my first hint that Es Saadi would deliver on all they promised, and more.
Es Saadi is conveniently located just outside the medina. In a way, a perfect location. A 10 minute walk will put you in the centre of all the action in Djema El Fna Square and bustling souks in the medina. Right next door is Casino Marrakech. Fine dining is in the hotel or casino, and many more options within walking distance or short cab or caleche ride away. But when you want to escape the heat, noise, action of the exotic city, the oasis of Es Saadi is nearby.
With luggage collected, I was quickly taken to the Palace and greeted by music, friendly door men and reception staff, some hot mint tea and sweets. Check in was taken care of while I indulged, then after a short tour, including the Spa, I was taken to my Villa.
This was a gift really. The Villa stay was an upgrade by the hotel. Of course such a thing is not to be an expectation at any hotel, but their willingness to do this was itself a precursor of the fine service which would follow for the next week.
I am a bit of an oddity; a single traveler who does not speak much French and no Arabic or Berber. But none of this was an issue at the Palace (although somewhat at the Spa). My villa was the Art Deco. A spectacular place to spend the week. So much so that I changed plans to spend more time in my room! To lounge in my very own L-shaped private pool. Have a wonderful meal and wine on my outdoor patio, with the Villa’s wonderful butler service.
The staff including the excellent butler service at the Villa was always friendly, prompt, and of high calibre. Whatever you asked for, they asked if you wanted more. The door men in their smart white uniforms were also very friendly and willing to help with finding a cab or caleche or do whatever you needed doing. Each night I would return from my adventures in the city or medina to find my room well taken care of, lanterns lit at poolside, trays of sweets and plenty of water (which you will need in the Moroccan heat). The main Palace pool area is extensive and well taken care of, as are the grounds of thriving foliage. On my last night, the owner kindly sent over a parting gift of olive oil and marmalade. This was indeed like staying at a Palace. Many thanks to the fine people at Es Saadi for making my stay memorable and special. I highly recommend Es Saadi Palace.

Room Tip: Certainly any of the Villas are a spectacular choice and offer the most private and special experien...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Dear Anthony,
We are delighted that your stay with us met your expectations and are especially grateful that you have taken the time to share your comments with all interested. . I have passed your compliments to Nadine, Lamia, Samir and Errouk as well of course as the rest of the team.
They join me to say a big thank you! Warm regards, Laurence Jeanvoine
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

five star hotel, convenient to sites in Marrakesh. We liked the Bulgarian violin/piano duo who entertained every night.

Room Tip: Being away from the main street lets you keep the doors to the balcony open at night.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Harvey,
thank you very much for taking time to share your feedback and the opportunity to have received your business. Warm regards, Laurence Jeanvoine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012 via mobile

Only good works for this hotel!the service is very nice and polite clean rooms everytime nice views...its a destiny you dont care to come many times,its my second.perfect!

• Stayed February 2012
Dear Marlock,
From all of us here at the Es Saadi Gardens & Resort, thanks you very much for selecting our hotel, your visit and your generous comments. We look forward to your next visit and the pleasure of serving you again. Warm regards, Laurence Jeanvoine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012 via mobile

If u want to experience staying in a palace this is where you want to go. The spa pool and facilities are fantastic, a little pricey but definetly worth every penny. The palace can be a little quite but that's what we wanted. It was a real pleasure to be there and the staff were fantastic! Definetly will visit again this year!

• Stayed February 2011
Dear Rhaina,
We are delighted that your stay with us met your expectations and are especially grateful that you have taken the time to share your comments with all interested. On behalf of my team thank you very much for your business. Please do not hesitate to contact us soon for your next stay, warm regards, Laurence Jeanvoine
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

I often "switch off" when I see what appears to be a long and bad review and quickly go to the next 5 star review because I only want to read "good". You will note by my other reviews over the years I am not, an habitual moaner. If a hotel or restaurant is great, it gets said..... conversely, if it's bad, it also gets said in an effort to advise others to avoid our mistakes. This hotel was one of our pretty rare mistakes. This is the 7th time we have been to Marrakech and seven appears to have been our unlucky number on this trip. We have stayed at La Mamounia, Palmeraie Palace and a GREAT Riad, Dar Donab, all Deluxe properties. Unfortunately they were fully booked for half term and we chose “Palace” Es Saaid on the strength of TripAdvsor reviews. This time, and unusually, we were silly enough not to have actually READ the reviews but relied on how many 5 stars reviews we saw. Upon our having ACTUALLY read themafter the event, we sincerely are at a complete loss as to quite why this relatively average property (compared to the Deluxe properties we stay at worldwide) has received, more than its fair share than it ought of decent reviews. The Palace Es Saadi is a "quiet and relaxing place"....... so long as you keep the double-glazed balcony doors closed so you can't hear the CONSTANT hum of traffic from the nearby main road which you can resoundingly hear by the pool area. This is a family run hotel with NO management structure[ that you would expect from a Deluxe hotel group and we certainly saw no sign of day-today involvement. We felt there to be an innate sadness to this hotel that we have not experienced in a purported Deluxe property before. We found there to be either false or no smiles from staff) and sincerely the worst karma we have experienced. We felt that the staff acted as though they were "scared" of the owner. From the very first 'next morning" we were literally counting the days of our to return to London. The concierge[Unknown] desk we found particularly unhelpful. There is NO structure whatsoever for complaints. (again, we are sincerely not a typical complaining couple) other than to the owner directly. We paid full price through Amex Platinum (who subbed it to Classic Collection Holidays) for an Executive suite (a massive 70 sq. metres (750 sq ft) of poorly designed room of which a third of the space was corridor with very poor WIFI facility) We requested a bed (before our trip) for our 5 year old but were told that she had to sleep on the small sofa in the room..... NOT even a proper sofa bed. We told them we wanted a proper single bed as supplied by other hotels of a similar and lesser standard. They eventually did supply a bed but "....only as "a favour just for you" (verbatim). The Front Office Manager and Deputy both tried to get us to "upgrade our room" (already one of the highest category) at a "special price of a further 2000 MD " (UK£165 per night) ....we normally charge an extra 5000 per night") so we could gain extra space for our daughter. (We had booked for 8 nights costing circa UK£4950 (excluding BMI Club Class) The Front Office Manager "accused" us of having booked through Expedia (it would appear that this is the ultimate sin) and then latter apologising for her mistake. It got to the stage where, for the very first time in 30 odd years of being an Amex member, we telephoned Amex UK to try to sort out this ridiculous situation. Incidentally, the hotel on our arrival had only 36 persons staying there so one might have thought that every effort for a full paying guest might have been "de riguer". The restaurant staff (other than the Signature Restaurant) speak the very poorest of English resulting in a totally frustrating experience full of misunderstanding and wrong orders for the 10% (certainly during our internment) of English speaking clientele. The main dining room/breakfast room a poorly designed, depressing and sincerely soulless public "airport lounge". The F&B “Manager” had an unenviable job and had been in his post for nearly six months. He didn’t sound particularly confident that he was going to be there in another 6 months. The kitchen staff were continually shouting at each other. The service around the pool area was poor. One waiter, (literally) delivering food around the pool. One day our lunch was delivered "stone cold" with the waiter blaming the 25 metre walk to where we were sitting! Food OK (ish) The two pools (neither young child or "poor swimmer" friendly (1.4 metres min depth) so if you're short even an adult can't touch the floor and have their head above the water. Holes and cracks ( See image...an accident waiting to happen) around the pool. Incidentally, on 3 of our 8 days here, the hotel "ran out" of the good quality pool towels by 09:30 only to replace them with cheap and threadbare towels that they use in the "5 Star" (see more below) sister hotel. There's a large taxi rank outside the hotel (about 90 second walk down hotel driveway. When you order a taxi one might reasonably expect there to be a "flashing light" system to alert the "next in line" taxi. Not here! The doorman walks to the taxi rank and "handpicks" (I’ll let the reader guess the euphemism".....) your taxi. We understand that the churn rate (turnaround) of "senior" staff is very high. The "3 star guests" staying next door in the sister hotel (Es Saadi Hote.....advertised as 5 star but sincerely 3.5 star max when we inspected it to see if it were any better than the "Palace") used the pool facilities of the "Palace". (Call us snobs but if Iwe are paying top dollar then I don't expect the pool area to be overrun by the 2/3 star guests next door paying half the price or less). The Casino next door is owned by the same family I understand and we popped in to check it out and, in the main, there were fruit machines in a thick cigarette smoke environment and yoy come out stinking. The Main Square is a 10/12 minute taxi ride....not a 15 minute walk as suggested in literature. Finally, lest I be accused of being totally unfair in my review, the owner has a sublime collection of Moroccan 20th Century Art which can be viewed on each floor, and, at the time of our visit, was on exhibition.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
WonderfulMorocco, Room Division Manager at Es Saadi Gardens & Resort - Palace, responded to this review, May 27, 2012
Dear JefeyS,

First of all, accept our apologies for not replying earlier but we are not used to discuss with rude people insulting our staff or mentioning erroneous information about our resort. We appreciate that you decided to review your comments with more civilized words.

We have checked your other reviews in the past few years and it seems that you are a very keen traveler yet demanding which is a compliment in our industry. We can only improve with your comments and positive criticism.

We understand and accept that you do prefer a hotel group to a family run business. However this is structure (that we do have with a GM, AGM and all other heads of departments) gives us our strength and stability. We are very proud to be managed by the same family for over 50 years now and even prouder to see the young generation profiling to take over in a few years.

Of course it means that there are less “procedures” and “rules” (and yet, they do exist!) but it also means that we are more flexible and most of our guests feel at home with us, returning year after year sometime even twice a year! Guests are asking for Errouk, our Chief Concierge or Karima our Front Office Manager and they have built a strong relationship with most of our clients.

We are very sorry that we did not manage to give you and your family this impression and it is always a sad feeling for us when we fail to please our guests!

I would have been glad to discuss with you should you have requested to speak with me at some point during your stay. I was at the front desk several times when you stopped to take your key or discuss about the kids club for your daughter and would have been glad to assist you then. But you never mentioned any dysfonctionnement.

Regarding the restaurant and following your comments we have reorganized the service, and all changes have been given lots of satisfaction to nowadays guests. Kevin is the happy father or two twin girls since end of April and has even less the intention to leave!

Concerning the taxi stand, as in many other places in the world, we have to work with the local taxi organization which is supervised by the official Tourism Board.I do not know any hotels which have a “flashing light” to call the taxis. Most will ask you to go to the head of the stand and take the first taxi available.
We confirm that the walk is about 15mn to reach the Jemaa el Fna Square; however we cannot control the taxi taking a longer route to take you there. Again, should you have pointed this issue to my attention; I would have informed the Taxi Association immediately.

We do hope that you will come back to Marrakech and you will stop by to discuss and see our improvements as well as organize another visit of our Art Exhibition that we decided to keep longer for our guests’ pleasure.
Warm regards
Laurence Jeanvoine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

The palace is an absolutely beautiful hotel. It is the nicest place I have ever stayed. Putting just another 5 star next to this hotel is not giving it enough credit. They did not cut one corner on this place. I just love it here they have a butler at your call and they make up your room twice a day. I honestly could go on and on. Bottom line everything is incredible. Anyone that could think of one bad thing to say about this place is crazy. It's pricey you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Staying in the palace a must!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear ispeakthruth,
A heartfelt thank you from all my team here at the Es Saadi Gardens & Resort. We truly appreciate you taking time to share your thoughts and comments. There is nothing more energizing than a positive feedback from one of our guests. Again, from all of us here, "Thank you" for your business and the kind review.
Warm regards, Laurence Jeanvoine

Been to Es Saadi Gardens & Resort - Palace? Share your experiences!