“A Treasure” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad les Hibiscus

You added Riad les Hibiscus to your Saves list
Riad les Hibiscus
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Derb Sidi Ben Aissa No17 | Dabachi, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #481 of 1,120 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A Treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

A beautiful place to stay - the room was traditionally decorated and the shower was amazing. Even the throw on the bed was gorgeous. It was the little details like the latches on the doors and window shutters that made the accommodation perfect. The views from the rooftop let you see everyday life whilst enjoying your breakfast - great for people watching. Breakfast was freshly made and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We arrived late at night and at first were quite apprehensive but as soon as we got inside we were thrilled! Location is perfect - not far from the hustle and bustle. I would definitely love to return - this is a must stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at Riad Les Hibiscus. The room was comfortable clean and nice. Bed was comfortable also.The bathroom was also clean and nice. There was a little street noise at night but not bad. They have wifi but you have to use it in the lobby and since there are rooms next to the lobby you have to be quiet as to not disturb anyone. The breakfast was nothing special just a crepe and bread and coffee. It is very convenient to walk to Jemaa El Fna and felt safe for me to walk alone there at night which was important since I was a female traveling alone. It is down a side street but there seemed to always be people around or kids playing at night. The staff was helpful in that they went to the bus station for me to pick up a supratour ticket to go to Essaouira and I just paid them for the ticket. No need to have hotel arrange a taxi to airport. It was much cheaper to just get a taxi on your own to return to airport only 60 dirhams. But finding the place on your own would be tricky. The staff met me near Cafe de france and walked me there so that was very helpful when I first arrived. Overall nice place.

Room Tip: I would choose a room on upper floor for less noise from lobby area.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

While slightly tricky to find (we found our way with ease having checked other TripAdvisor's advice), the riad is a true oasis in the midst of a city that is very hectic. We stayed three nights and could not have been looked after better. The staff really make an effort to make you feel welcome, and really make an effort to speak English if you do not speak French. The rooms are nicely decorated and extremely clean. If you're after privacy, book the rooftop suite. Otherwise request a room on the first floor, as they are more quiet than those on the ground floor. Breakfast is basic (breads and Moroccan pancakes with jam/butter/cheese) but filling. We had dinner one night in the riad and it was the most enjoyable meal we experienced in Marrakech!

Room Tip: If you're after privacy, book the rooftop suite. Otherwise request a room on the first floor, a...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Me and my partner stayed here for four nights in October.

Good Points:
Great location, literally a 3-4 minute walk to the main square.
Close to the souks and shopping areas.
Spotlessly clean inside.
Well presented staff and helpful when required.
Calm welcoming atmosphere when in the Riad, and a very relaxing quiet stay away from all of the hustle and bustle.
In the evening time, beer, wine and champagne are on offer for sale in the Riad. Beer is 30D, wine about 140D and Champagne 500D approx I think. Cold and refreshing after a day haggling for goods!!
Breakfast good. Moroccan pancakes, bread, cheese, butter, marmalade, freshly squeezed orange juice and coffee. Breakfast can be taken downstairs around the pool, or on the roof. In both areas, the table is set for you and breakfast is served to you at your table. Nice touch!
If you are after a late check out, ask the staff if this is possible, as when we stayed, they let us check out late and charged us nothing extra. Very helpful and very much appreciated!

Bad Points:
None really - the only thing that might put some travellers off is, the Riad is located on a quiet alley off of a main busy street. This may alarm some especially if arriving by night or late evening as we did. However, it did not seem threatening in any way, so do not be put off by this!

Some advice:
When arriving at the airport, taxis outside charge about 150D to get to the main square. I think they charge a little more at night. Take one of those, and they will drop you near the main square. You can walk yourself if you wish with your bags, of kindly ask a 'barrow man' to carry your things for you. He will charge about 25D for his troubles. He will also lead you directly to the door of the Riad.

In the airport when you arrive, there are money changers. Good rates to be had by all in my opinion. There are also money changers in central Marrakesh. The Riad doesn't offer money exchange to my knowledge.

Overall experience:
I would highly recommend staying here at this Riad. Myself and my girlfriend really liked the place and would definitely stay here again if we were to return to Marrakesh. We paid in the region of 75 euros per night and for that money, we were more than satisfied!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

This is a very firendly and quiet little oasis amongst the madness that is Marrakech (a fun assault on all the senses!).

Rooms were fine but the aircon was poor which made sleeping difficult. The little pool was very refreshing after a day outside in the heat. Breakfast was ok but not substantial.

This Riad is difficult to find but if you follow the steps below you can make it less stressful when you arrive:
i) Make your way to the far north east corner of Djemaa el fna square, where the street off to the right is called Rue Dabachi;
ii) Stay on this street for about 70-80 meters max and you will see a vertical neon sign for "Pharmacie" on the right hand side;
iii) The alleyway on the right hand side is Deb Sidi Ben Aissa - it may look dark and narrow but it's perfectly safe. Families live down here and there's no danger;
iv) Go down the alleyway and just before the end on the right is Les Hibiscus - ring the buzzer and hey presto!

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dordrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Staying right in the big square is, too be honest, a bit too hectic in the hottest time of the year but I'm a city girl and decided to chance it. I choose to stay in a Riad over a hotel to allow a more intimate access to the people of Morrocco as my main goal is to learn about the locals and their way of life. I will mention that we purposely chose to go during Ramadan as we felt that first hand experience of this holiday would be the most accurate, unbiased way to learn about something very unfamiliar to us. First and foremost, the staff in this Riad were some of the most accomodating staff I've EVER met (and I work in tourism). Not only did they have the patience of Saints, they went above and beyond. They answered our thousands of questions regarding customs and way of life. They gave us midnight lessons as to how to make proper mint tea, advised on the best tea pot to buy and prices we should expect to pay, and even picked up a box of the proper tea for us (since it was written in Arabic!). I actually became quite ill from the air conditioner near the end of our trip (NO fault of the Riad at all! just typical me!) and they even went out of their way to find me in my room or hiding in a dark corner somewhere to bring me the fresh orange juice, mint tea and ask me if I'd like a little something to eat! While I cannot possibly rave enuf about the fantastic staff, the Riad itself was at the same very high standards! VERY clean, and so unbelievably peaceful in the middle of all the rush of the Djemaa el Fna square. I would definitely go back here again!

Room Tip: Get upper floor rooms so the public wading area wasn't right outside your bedroom door!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Crieff, Perthshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

We stayed a week at Riad les Hibiscus and were very happy with our accommodation. Our bedroom (Jasmin) was very comfortable and we slept so soundly, we had to set an alarm each day! We were glad of the air conditioning, as temperatures reached 42C while we were in Marrakech. We borrowed a hairdryer for the duration of our stay. We handed a bag of laundry in sometimes and got it back washed and pressed that evening (it cost about £6)
The staff was excellent. They were so courteous and friendly and we became fond of Azzedine, Lahcen, Yacin, Karim and Melika. Yacin and Azzedine were good at recommending restaurants and hammans and booked things for us. The riad was very quiet and had a grown-up atmosphere, where everyone provided their own entertainment .There is a plunge pool, in which we cooled off daily.
Breakfast was Moroccan pancakes and bread, orange juice and tea or coffee. We didn't particularly like the coffee, which was kept in a Thermos flask.
With only 8 rooms, we did get to know some of the other guests and that added to our enjoyment of the holiday. There was a pleasant relaxed atmosphere, akin to staying in a particularly attractive and elegant house.

Room Tip: Jasmin has two single beds which we pushed together, so it was probably 2 metres wide. The room has...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad les Hibiscus? Share your experiences!