“Don't lose time ( and money) going there!” 1 of 5 stars

Type: Dinner Theaters
Attraction Details
Trois-Rivieres, Canada
20 attraction reviews
“Don't lose time ( and money) going there!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a tourist trap. A lot of busses ( more than 40 ) with a decor looking like an amateur bad version of disneyland...Dancers (a lot) with no explication from what region they are from or type of dance, making a lot of noise and asking for tips constantly...Food average, and a horse show consisting mainly of the same dances you saw while eating and beautiful horses running around very fast without again any explanations or real show...

Visited May 2013

• Turkish first
4 attraction reviews
“Amateur Performance”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

On the advice of some "friends" that live in Morocco, the Fantasia Chez Ali show was recommended as something to go see with our 4 kids.
Our trip to Morocco would have been perfect had we not gone to see this overpriced amateur performance. There is very little explanation of what is going on and as a result we did not take away learning anything about Moroccan culture. The food was simply mediocre. It was the most expensive we ate in Morocco and quite easily the worst.
Our kids fell asleep during the show due to boredom. They were jolted awake every time they fired their rifles during the horse show. The lighting during the show was terrible, lighting up the wrong area of the arena, where nothing was going on and missing the action altogether. My wife and I had decided to walk out early, but the show finished as we were leaving so we didn't even get that satisfaction.
I can not recommend this show to anyone to go see. It was shocking poorly done.

Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
“Corny, but fun night out.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

This was unusual for Marrakech and we landed a pretty cheap deal from an independant guide rather from than the hotel which were expensive. We were greeted by guards on horseback in a beautiful, huge building in a remote area. Lots of people in various forms of dress upon greeting, a nice friendly vibe inside amongst the tourists, the servers here rarely spoke, had little eye contact and were not welcoming. The food was in an enormous servings, myself and my partner were travelling with our 6 year old son, we were lucky enough to tip a server into giving us one of the VIP tables. We had our own table and had Harrira soup to start, chicken and vegetable cous cous, an entire half of lamb (a carcass mind as there is not much meat on, it weren't leftovers, it was a whole half of a lamb - it must have been malnourished - I would have hated to see what condition it were in alive) and for desserts a huge platter of unprepared fruit - oranges mainly, but I think there was the occassional fig. If you don't like this waste, then perhaps this isn't for you. The alcoholic drinks were suprisingly cheap, approx 25 Dirham for a beer. The dinner isn't a quiet affair, you are seated and expect to remain so, dancers, singers, drummers, by the dozens circle your table, one group after the other - Literally! I think I stopped counting after about 20 They will hum, sing, shout, trample, drum and dance all over your food and then expect money. Don't expect to each much of the food because you can't eat when someone is humming in your ear and dancing on your plate. I am not asking for silence, just lessening the tribes perhaps and breaks between them.

The show itself involved sitting on concrete steps or in our case we just sat in the viewing dock - no one questioned us, well the show started, it was THOSE tribes again, yawn. They marched round this huge area the size of a football pitch. All chanting, tapping, screaming, humming, shaking and shouting their various dins that they did at dinner - There was really no need to roll these tribes out through dinner and again at the start of the show. Then in the distance somewhere in the dark in the light of a torch there was a little platform with a belly dancer on - it was like looking at a fly on a very big wall. If you went expecting belly dancers as advertised then here was your belly dancer - there were belly dancers at dinner but if you are a 15 year old boy beware these belly dancers are old tribal women fully clothed. LOL.

There was about 4 minutes worth of horse stunts and gun stunts, which were amazing, but it could have lasted longer.

Then those tribes marched on out again whilst the man with the white camel offers kids in the crowd rides around the arena on his white camel... For a fee of course. Whilst those tribes... Still marched on with all their noise...

I found it inappropriately hillarious. Don't rule out Fantasia because this is a real gem in the right company. Don't go expecting Arabian Nights, go expecting to see a Moroccan Tommy Coopers Disneyland. My 6 year old enjoyed it too and Marrakech has few things for little ones, so if you have your little ones in tow in Marrakech don't hesitate.

Visited August 2012
Malta
6 attraction reviews
“A tourist trap - so sorry I went”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I was very very disappointed with Chez Ali, a complete tourist trap. I booked through my riad, paid the equivalent of Euro 40 which is expensive for Morocco. The price included the taxi to and from the main square, the Djamm El Fna. We arrived and were greeted by a row of riders on their horses who expected money for taking a photo next to them. Then on to the front door, where there was a photographer, again against extra payment if you wanted to buy the photo at the end of the tour.
We were ushered through to the 'Ali Baba' cave, then out and onto our table, which I shared with three locals, so conversation was nil throughout my visit.
The meal started off with soup, which was mediocre, no idea what was in it. Then follwed a dish of meat, think is was lamb, but who knows?! It wasn't explained, at least not in English. There was also a dish of couscous with veg to share at the table after the meat. I was asked what I wanted to drink and I ordered a half bottle of wine, not knowing that it wasn't included in the price. I was charged an extra DH 110 for this at the end of the meal, beware!!! That's about Euro 11 which is a lot for a HALF bottle of who knows what wine!! At the end we were presented with a massive bowl of fresh fruit, somehow I would have expected better for the price paid.
During the meal, various groups of singers & musicians came to the table, and again, expected a money hand out at the end of their two minute performance. I refused to tip for something which I feel I had already paid more than enough for. I mean, don't they get paid to be there?!!!

Then on to the horse show, outside in the large arena. The problem was that there were so many people there the day I was there (no idea if it's the same every day, or worse!) that I could hardly see anything. Most of it was very dark anyway. I did try to walk around the arena to find a place where I could actually see something but it was practically impossible.

Don't go there and waste your money like I did is all I can say, it was a total rip off.

Visited April 2013
Brussels, Belgium
24 attraction reviews
“See it once. Price is on the high side. Horse show is entertaining”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

We booked there, and only latéral did i see the poor comments about that place. So obviously I wasn't too eager to "waste" so much time and money.
The venue is quite remote from the Medina (20minutes by taxi).
Upon arrival and going through the photoshoot with people dressed up as Berbers, we visited the place. It all looks fake, yet buildings look massive.
At the table, we got a decent gators soup, then a delicious couscous, with like half a lamb for the 2 of us. Wine and beer were ok (and extra even on the expensive VIP menu).
Some bands stop at all the tables to play music and dance in exchange for money (asking quite rudely)
Finally we saw the fantasia, which I found interesting, with lots of acrobats and effects.
Unfortunately, lighting was poor.
Worth going there if you have spare time and money. Otherwise, pass. You can find great food for 1/3 of the price there.

Visited April 2013