“Terrible manager” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Sofia

You added Riad Sofia to your Saves list
Riad Sofia
179, Derb Arset Aouzal | Bab Doukkala Near Dar El Bacha Medina, Marrakech 40008, Morocco   |
Ranked #347 of 1,148 Marrakech B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Terrible manager”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

The Riad Sofia is in a good location of the Medina and generally, the staff were quite nice. However, the manager, Omar, has a drinking problem as he was drunk when he greeted us upon arrival on Thursday evening and continued to drink for the next two nights. One night, he and his drinking buddies who were hanging out at the riad got into a verbal altercation late at night and woke everyone up. It was a negative experience that tainted what may have been an otherwise nice place to stay. On the day we were checking out, he wasn't there at the riad and no one knew how to use the credit card machine to pay for our rooms. We were in a rush to get to the airport and it was very unorganized. In the end, we ended up having to pay him directly through Paypal after we got home.

I think there are many beautiful riads in the Medina from which to choose and I would not recommend this one.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank S K

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

As two females in our twenties, we had been given many warning about Marrakech and arriving at the riad late in the evening can be slightly daunting as the riad is located down a derb (winding alley). HOWEVER we booked a transfer via the riad and they took us straight to the door and once the daylight begins it is pretty straight forward (by Moroccan standards) to get your bearings, it is also located within walking distance of all the main attractions. The Riad was beautiful and felt like a true retreat. The staff were so helpful - giving us excellent suggestions of things to do and places to eat. Breakfast evey morning on the terrace was the perfect start to a busy day. All in all, I loved Riad Sofia and would certainly reccomend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I have been visiting Marrakech 4 times, and the two last times I have stayed in Riad Sofia. I find it nice, clean, very silent at night, and with friendly and helpful staff. This last time me and seven friends spent three nights in the Riad, one night when we arrived in Marrakech, a second night after a trek in the Atlas, and a last night after spending a couple ogf days in Essaouira. I had booked transport from the airport with the riad, a dinner when we arrived, transport to Essaouira, and the riad kept our luggage while we were travelling around. If I go back to Marrakech, I'd love to stay at Sofia once more. Now I even know they way around in the streets in the neighborhood:)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Surbiton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Riad Sofia is well located for all the main attractions, central in the Medina, and a 10 minute walk to the main square (Djemaa El-Fna). Once you've had a day to get your bearings you'll be fine, but on arrival getting to the riad is not easy - the map provided could be better.

It's also worth noting this riad is only 100 metres from the #1 Tripadvisor-rated spa in Marrakech (Heritage Spa) - this is a real bonus if you want to sample a luxury traditional hammam (as a couple) without having to take the gloss off the experience by trudging back to your riad through hot dusty alleyways.

The riad itself is beautifully restored, and generally met expectations set from the website photos. The welcome was friendly, and we appreciated being provided with a few tourist tips, over a pot of fragrant mint tea.

The breakfast provided was ideal and substantial. Even with a very early check-out, the riad host left out a breakfast for us to self-serve which was more than we expected.

The only downside to this riad was the roof terrace. The berber tent was a real draw for our booking, and we looked forward to spending time relaxing in the sunshine when not in the hustle of the medina. However, it felt like we were staying out of season - there were no foam mats on any of the chairs/beds, instead they were all haphazardly stacked up in the tent. Generally everything in the tent was thick with dust, so we didn't feel able to kick back and relax as we'd hoped. A shame, as the terrace had the potential to be a highlight of our stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JamiePa
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We spent a lovely week in this riad in January. The place is beautiful, decorated we learnt by local artisans in the traditional style, but it lacks nothing in modern comforts – with air con, spacious bathrooms and luxury bedding. We were made to feel very welcome by Omar and his super staff, who served up a great breakfast. Our young children (2 and 3) enjoyed their encounters with the resident tortoises and the freedom to play on the patio and in the communal salon. When we return to Marrakech, we’ll definitely be staying here again. A great location.
Merci Omar!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Stayed here two nights with a friend who is in the process of renovating a riad and this riad was perfect for our stay. On arrival we were asked to make our choices and time for breakfast and sure enough the next morning at the time requested we had breakfast on the terrace. In the evening, on returning from our meal we were offered a digestive (not the buscuit!) and had a chat with the manager who was very friendly.
It was a good 15 minute walk to thesis square, however there are plenty of good restaurants nearby. I would stay here again, however hopefully my friends riad will be ready soon!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank JonnyboyF
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I recently spent a week at the idylic RIAD SOFIA and I can only say highly positive things about this beautiful tranquil oasis.
The service was lovely, I was given a complimentary "Hamman" which was just wonderful after a long day wandering around town...I had a beautiful spacious room all to myself (I was travelling alone) with an open fireplace and an area to breakfast if you wish.
The rooms are very spacious..the bathroom beautiful! 2 sinks and a stone bath in an alcove...in traditional Marrocan style.
I loved retreating to my "oasis" in the afternoon for a rest and a tea..sometimes the maid would offer me free mint tea which was very nice.
I would definately return to this hotel. They also have another lovely place nearby which I stayed in one night called RIAD JULIA which is very similar in it's layout and design.
Both have rooftop terraces where you can lounge around or eat...
I felt extremely comfortable in both hotels, they were spotlessly clean, comfortable beds, very peaceful.
I would not really recommend it for children though as everything can be heard in the courtyard so it's necessary to not make too much noise in the courtyard.
A beautiful oasis in the middle of the Medina..and only about 10-15 minutes walk to the centre (Jemaa El Fna)
HIGHLY RECOMMMENDED!