“Just lovely!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Sofia

Save Saved
You added Riad Sofia to your Saves list
Riad Sofia
179, Derb Arset Aouzal | Bab doukkala à côté de Dar el bacha Mèdina, Marrakech 40008, Morocco   |
Offers & Announcements
10% off room rate
Ranked #346 of 1,040 Marrakech B&B and Inns
“Just lovely!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

As two females in our twenties, we had been given many warning about Marrakech and arriving at the riad late in the evening can be slightly daunting as the riad is located down a derb (winding alley). HOWEVER we booked a transfer via the riad and they took us straight to the door and once the daylight begins it is pretty straight forward (by Moroccan standards) to get your bearings, it is also located within walking distance of all the main attractions. The Riad was beautiful and felt like a true retreat. The staff were so helpful - giving us excellent suggestions of things to do and places to eat. Breakfast evey morning on the terrace was the perfect start to a busy day. All in all, I loved Riad Sofia and would certainly reccomend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

66 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I have been visiting Marrakech 4 times, and the two last times I have stayed in Riad Sofia. I find it nice, clean, very silent at night, and with friendly and helpful staff. This last time me and seven friends spent three nights in the Riad, one night when we arrived in Marrakech, a second night after a trek in the Atlas, and a last night after spending a couple ogf days in Essaouira. I had booked transport from the airport with the riad, a dinner when we arrived, transport to Essaouira, and the riad kept our luggage while we were travelling around. If I go back to Marrakech, I'd love to stay at Sofia once more. Now I even know they way around in the streets in the neighborhood:)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Surbiton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Riad Sofia is well located for all the main attractions, central in the Medina, and a 10 minute walk to the main square (Djemaa El-Fna). Once you've had a day to get your bearings you'll be fine, but on arrival getting to the riad is not easy - the map provided could be better.

It's also worth noting this riad is only 100 metres from the #1 Tripadvisor-rated spa in Marrakech (Heritage Spa) - this is a real bonus if you want to sample a luxury traditional hammam (as a couple) without having to take the gloss off the experience by trudging back to your riad through hot dusty alleyways.

The riad itself is beautifully restored, and generally met expectations set from the website photos. The welcome was friendly, and we appreciated being provided with a few tourist tips, over a pot of fragrant mint tea.

The breakfast provided was ideal and substantial. Even with a very early check-out, the riad host left out a breakfast for us to self-serve which was more than we expected.

The only downside to this riad was the roof terrace. The berber tent was a real draw for our booking, and we looked forward to spending time relaxing in the sunshine when not in the hustle of the medina. However, it felt like we were staying out of season - there were no foam mats on any of the chairs/beds, instead they were all haphazardly stacked up in the tent. Generally everything in the tent was thick with dust, so we didn't feel able to kick back and relax as we'd hoped. A shame, as the terrace had the potential to be a highlight of our stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We spent a lovely week in this riad in January. The place is beautiful, decorated we learnt by local artisans in the traditional style, but it lacks nothing in modern comforts – with air con, spacious bathrooms and luxury bedding. We were made to feel very welcome by Omar and his super staff, who served up a great breakfast. Our young children (2 and 3) enjoyed their encounters with the resident tortoises and the freedom to play on the patio and in the communal salon. When we return to Marrakech, we’ll definitely be staying here again. A great location.
Merci Omar!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Stayed here two nights with a friend who is in the process of renovating a riad and this riad was perfect for our stay. On arrival we were asked to make our choices and time for breakfast and sure enough the next morning at the time requested we had breakfast on the terrace. In the evening, on returning from our meal we were offered a digestive (not the buscuit!) and had a chat with the manager who was very friendly.
It was a good 15 minute walk to thesis square, however there are plenty of good restaurants nearby. I would stay here again, however hopefully my friends riad will be ready soon!

• Stayed June 2012
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I recently spent a week at the idylic RIAD SOFIA and I can only say highly positive things about this beautiful tranquil oasis.
The service was lovely, I was given a complimentary "Hamman" which was just wonderful after a long day wandering around town...I had a beautiful spacious room all to myself (I was travelling alone) with an open fireplace and an area to breakfast if you wish.
The rooms are very spacious..the bathroom beautiful! 2 sinks and a stone bath in an alcove...in traditional Marrocan style.
I loved retreating to my "oasis" in the afternoon for a rest and a tea..sometimes the maid would offer me free mint tea which was very nice.
I would definately return to this hotel. They also have another lovely place nearby which I stayed in one night called RIAD JULIA which is very similar in it's layout and design.
Both have rooftop terraces where you can lounge around or eat...
I felt extremely comfortable in both hotels, they were spotlessly clean, comfortable beds, very peaceful.
I would not really recommend it for children though as everything can be heard in the courtyard so it's necessary to not make too much noise in the courtyard.
A beautiful oasis in the middle of the Medina..and only about 10-15 minutes walk to the centre (Jemaa El Fna)
HIGHLY RECOMMMENDED!

Room Tip: I believe all the rooms were spacious and lovely from what I saw
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

In a city teeming with great riads, I took a chance on Riad Sofia based on the recommendation of an acquaintance. The riad is nicely decorated and the rooms are quiet and a nice size. However, the low quality of service was a marked contrast to all of the other riads and hotels I stayed in during my four weeks in Morocco. I was the only guest for one of my two-nights stay and was basically ignored the entire time - in fact, I had the distinct impression that I was the only person in the riad at times and even had to answer the door one night because someone kept ranging the doorbell and I was concerned that it might be one of the staff. A housekeeper who barely spoke French and no English handled my check-in and checkout because the manager never seemed to be around. I had to ask for clean sheets to be put on the bed (after finding numerous hairs when I turned down the bed), and the manager basically called me a liar until he saw the sheets for himself. The riad doesn't have or provide bottled water (even for sale), so you have to lug your own drinking water back to the room. And the manager was sleeping in the salon one night when I came downstairs to use the wifi (which doesn't work in the rooms). Although he got up and offered to move out of the room, I had the distinct feeling I was invading someone else's space. When I checked out, I was told the credit card machine was broken and when I asked if it was possible for someone to help me carry my bags to the main street to get a taxi on the day I left and was told that "this is not a service we provide." I moved to another riad in Marrakech after the second night (for a lower price), and it had a much better/safer location, closer to the Djemaa el-Fna, and the service was terrific. You're better off elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Been to Riad Sofia? Share your experiences!