“Great value place to stay in Marrakesh” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Sofia

Save Saved
You added Riad Sofia to your Saves list
Riad Sofia
179, Derb Arset Aouzal | Bab doukkala à côté de Dar el bacha Mèdina, Marrakech 40008, Morocco   |
Offers & Announcements
10% off room rate
Ranked #347 of 1,040 Marrakech B&B and Inns
“Great value place to stay in Marrakesh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Stayed here two nights with a friend who is in the process of renovating a riad and this riad was perfect for our stay. On arrival we were asked to make our choices and time for breakfast and sure enough the next morning at the time requested we had breakfast on the terrace. In the evening, on returning from our meal we were offered a digestive (not the buscuit!) and had a chat with the manager who was very friendly.
It was a good 15 minute walk to thesis square, however there are plenty of good restaurants nearby. I would stay here again, however hopefully my friends riad will be ready soon!

• Stayed June 2012

66 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I recently spent a week at the idylic RIAD SOFIA and I can only say highly positive things about this beautiful tranquil oasis.
The service was lovely, I was given a complimentary "Hamman" which was just wonderful after a long day wandering around town...I had a beautiful spacious room all to myself (I was travelling alone) with an open fireplace and an area to breakfast if you wish.
The rooms are very spacious..the bathroom beautiful! 2 sinks and a stone bath in an alcove...in traditional Marrocan style.
I loved retreating to my "oasis" in the afternoon for a rest and a tea..sometimes the maid would offer me free mint tea which was very nice.
I would definately return to this hotel. They also have another lovely place nearby which I stayed in one night called RIAD JULIA which is very similar in it's layout and design.
Both have rooftop terraces where you can lounge around or eat...
I felt extremely comfortable in both hotels, they were spotlessly clean, comfortable beds, very peaceful.
I would not really recommend it for children though as everything can be heard in the courtyard so it's necessary to not make too much noise in the courtyard.
A beautiful oasis in the middle of the Medina..and only about 10-15 minutes walk to the centre (Jemaa El Fna)
HIGHLY RECOMMMENDED!

Room Tip: I believe all the rooms were spacious and lovely from what I saw
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

In a city teeming with great riads, I took a chance on Riad Sofia based on the recommendation of an acquaintance. The riad is nicely decorated and the rooms are quiet and a nice size. However, the low quality of service was a marked contrast to all of the other riads and hotels I stayed in during my four weeks in Morocco. I was the only guest for one of my two-nights stay and was basically ignored the entire time - in fact, I had the distinct impression that I was the only person in the riad at times and even had to answer the door one night because someone kept ranging the doorbell and I was concerned that it might be one of the staff. A housekeeper who barely spoke French and no English handled my check-in and checkout because the manager never seemed to be around. I had to ask for clean sheets to be put on the bed (after finding numerous hairs when I turned down the bed), and the manager basically called me a liar until he saw the sheets for himself. The riad doesn't have or provide bottled water (even for sale), so you have to lug your own drinking water back to the room. And the manager was sleeping in the salon one night when I came downstairs to use the wifi (which doesn't work in the rooms). Although he got up and offered to move out of the room, I had the distinct feeling I was invading someone else's space. When I checked out, I was told the credit card machine was broken and when I asked if it was possible for someone to help me carry my bags to the main street to get a taxi on the day I left and was told that "this is not a service we provide." I moved to another riad in Marrakech after the second night (for a lower price), and it had a much better/safer location, closer to the Djemaa el-Fna, and the service was terrific. You're better off elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

I decided to stay in this riad as it had great reviews, and as a single traveller a lot of other riads were quite expensive for one person. This riad was definitely great value for money. All the staff were very sweet and keen to help and avoid me getting lost! It is about a 10-13 minute walk to Jemaa el Fna, even at night I felt quite safe on my own. The area the riad is located in is quite local, with kids and families so it was great to see a real part of Marrakech. Room was very comfortable, shower was a bit tempermental, but other than that I would definitely recommend this riad to the budget conscious traveller looking for a real piece of Marrakech.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

I cannot reccommend this place highly enough. The Riad Sofia has been impeccably restored and is an oasis of calm in a city that is bustling with life. We were stranded during the volcanic ash disruption and Ziad the manager gave us as much access to his computer as was necessarry to re book our return. Lets face it there are worse places to be stranded. Hadija and Sahira were excellent housekeepers, the place was beautifully looked after and the food excellent. Friendly and hospitable describe perfectly the team that run the hotel Sofia. Our children Luca 8 and Scarlett 10 loved the pool and we would retreat from the heat of the roof garden to invigorate ourselves in the courtyard pool. We plan to return again and again..............................

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2010

It was a lovely Riad with lots of Beauty and Charm. Ziad the Manager is superb and always on hand to help out however he can. Transfers from the airport were arranged by Ziad and were cheap and the driver was a really nice guy. The rooms are superb as is the rest of the accomodation. Ziad was always on hand to arrange things for you and give local information and advice and is definitely a great asset.

The Riad is centrally located and was only 10-15 minute walk from the main market which also has lots of lovely restaraunts (and I would reccoment the Marrakechi - it was great).

We ate in the Riad on one of the nights and for about £25 we had a three course meal that was so lovely and could have easily fed 4 people with the generosity of the portions........excellent quality and excellent value for money!!!

The breakfasts were very nice too and especially lovely on their beautiful sun drenced roof terrace.

If we returned to Marrakesh again we would most definitely stay at the Riad Sofia again and would without doubt reccomend this place to friends and family!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Fonty
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

I booked this Riad for a large group vacation (7 couples, 3 babies) after much internet research. I have to say, all of our expectations were met or exceeded.
We were met at the airport, and taken to as far as the vans would go. Then the hotel manager (or assistant manager?) Ziad led us to the riad while the luggage travelled by cart. Upon entering the riad we were all astonished and amazed. It is as beautiful as the pictures show. Very authentic looking with great common areas, nice rooms and fanciful bathrooms. The roof is an awesome place to spend an afternoon relaxing after the souk or a late night smoking a hookah after dinner. Every time we walked in the front doors we felt immediately refreshed and as if stepping into a 1001 nights story.
And I can't say enough about Ziad. He was an absolutely wonderful host. He arranged everything for us - from babysitting for our little ones in the evenings, hard to get restaurant reservations, an excursion to Essaouira, and a marvelous marvelous marvelous dinner at the Riad. (Those of us with children regretted not staying in every night for our dinner.) I would absolutely and whole-heartedly recommend this lovely riad to anyone looking for an excellent value, in a great location with really warm staff.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Sofia? Share your experiences!